Crikey! An update...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Crikey! An update...

Post by tony ingram on Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:08 pm

It's been a rocky road for Crikey! magazine these last few weeks, since another company's failure nearly put us out of business. The loss of over 50% of our distribution after Borders UK went bust, and the non appearance of the monies owed to us by them for issue #12 almost guaranteed we'd be unable to continue (yes, publishing a mag like Crikey! really is that tight), but thankfully that has proved not to be the case. It has, however, meant that we've had to resign ourselves to publishing #13 in the old format since we can't justify the print run required to publish in the new, more expensive format (we'd have nowhere to place half of the copies, and while we could reduce the print run, if we stayed in that format the unit cost would rise to a level that would make the whole thing nonviable). Issue #13 will therefore be on sale through all the old, tried and trusted outlets but will (probably) be back to being black & white and 52 pages. Long term though, that isn't really satisfactory, so we're looking for more distribution, Hopefully, those of our readers who've stuck with the mag this long will continue to do so-we've some great stuff in store. More details to follow when the publication date is confirmed, which will hopefully be very soon...

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Crikey! An update...

Post by alanultron5 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:22 pm

I just hope `Crikey!` can continue somehow! Where else could I have caught Phil Shriptons superb "Jump Froggy Jump" (regarding Dandy/Beano free gifts) article! Hopefully, from now it's "Upward and Onward" Al.

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:28 pm

We're hoping so, too. Though it depends very much on reader reaction to #13, and in the long term to getting alternative distribution. We're not giving up yet, though...

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Melkur40 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:51 pm

Obviously very sad to hear about the whole Borders thing, especially as I can imagine the number of hoops you must have had to go through to secure that deal, and for it all to be so successful too. Hopefully this means there will be other lucrative deals in the offing, leading Crikey! to greater successes.

Looking forward to issue 13, in whichever format it appears. Smile

Robert

Melkur40

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:55 pm

Melkur40 wrote:Obviously very sad to hear about the whole Borders thing, especially as I can imagine the number of hoops you must have had to go through to secure that deal, and for it all to be so successful too. Hopefully this means there will be other lucrative deals in the offing, leading Crikey! to greater successes.

Looking forward to issue 13, in whichever format it appears. Smile

Robert
Thanks Robert, we were unsure how people would take to the idea of us taking a step backwards, so to speak (even if it is hopefully only a temporary measure). Thankfully, most people seem to have been quite understanding. All we need now is for Richard Branson or Jonathon Ross to offer to invest...

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiff_B on Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:35 pm

I might have missed it somewhere, but is it still bimonthly?

A shame that it's back to mono and 52 pages but I'll buy Crikey for as long as it's published.

Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:38 pm

Spiff_B wrote:I might have missed it somewhere, but is it still bimonthly?

A shame that it's back to mono and 52 pages but I'll buy Crikey for as long as it's published.
At the moment, the plan is to stay bi-monthly, yes. And as soon as we can find a way forward, we'll be back in colour. Thanks for the good wishes, Warren.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:10 pm

OK, a little more news-and this time, it's good news!

Firstly, we've been talking to a few interested parties about getting Crikey! back 'out there' and in colour again. At the moment these discussions are in the early stages but there is interest in the mag and we've received a tremendous amount of support from within the industry.

Secondly: we delayed publication of #13 while we were trying to establish the mag's long term future, but since that's going to take awhile we're now going ahead with it in the old format. Crikey! #13 should be out shortly. As a stopgap measure, it will be back to being black & white and 52 pages again for this issue, BUT our new eight page strip centre section will still be in glorious colour, including a brand new four page adventure of The Cloak (from Odhams' classic title Pow!) by his creator, Mike Higgs! Plus, More Hatch, more 4D Jones and a little something else I'll reveal later...

We also have an exclusive interview with the legendary Kevin O'Neill, who reveals amongst other things the origins of Tharg, plus the second part of our look at Doctor Who in comics and the ongoing history of Marvel UK. There's more, but I'll tell you about that later...

I said we weren't giving up, didn't I?

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:31 pm

Nice to see a new "Cloak" strip! Only one thing could better that....A new "I. SPY Strip!!!! cheers

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:38 pm

alanultron5 wrote:Nice to see a new "Cloak" strip! Only one thing could better that....A new "I. SPY Strip!!!! cheers
Now that would be worth seeing!

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MR X on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:42 pm

Myself and Alan are willing to collaborate on one.........we have discussed this already.........

MR X

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:43 pm

MR X wrote:Myself and Alan are willing to collaborate on one.........we have discussed this already.........
What's the copyright situation?

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MR X on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:52 pm

It's still owned by D C Thomson, as it occassionally turns up in 'CLASSICS'. Only one new story, by Lew Stringer has surfaced this century, though. We would approach it with affection, and try to get it as near the original as possible; I would show a test frame or page first.

MR X

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:55 pm

MR X wrote:It's still owned by D C Thomson, as it occassionally turns up in 'CLASSICS'. Only one new story, by Lew Stringer has surfaced this century, though. We would approach it with affection, and try to get it as near the original as possible; I would show a test frame or page first.
Go for it I say, I'd love to see what you could do!

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Melkur40 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Hoping these discussions bear much fruit, and looking forward to issue 13 in the meantime. Any news about the little article I contributed to, or is that being held back for a future issue? Smile

Melkur40

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:19 pm

Melkur40 wrote:Hoping these discussions bear much fruit, and looking forward to issue 13 in the meantime. Any news about the little article I contributed to, or is that being held back for a future issue? Smile
Still on the schedule but the schedule is being reshuffled pretty much constantly as we try to get more pages. I'll give you a proper answer to this one tomorrow, when I've had a chance to look at what's lined up for the next two issues. My brain's like tapioca at the moment....

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:26 pm

Rab (Mr X) and I have been `pooling` ideas re a possible "I.Spy" strip...if Crikey! can get Thomson permission (or permission from whoever!) As we are both massive fans of the strip we do have diverging ideas a bit, as it is precious to both! I would rather any strip carried `dialogue` if possible!

Hopefully we can get agreement! I only wish I could draw! Though I loved art at School, my drawing skills...were ;and still are, abysmal beyond belief!

However! I would be most willing to compose a storyline, or ideas for one!

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:28 pm

alanultron5 wrote:Rab (Mr X) and I have been `pooling` ideas re a possible "I.Spy" strip...if Crikey! can get Thomson permission (or permission from whoever!) As we are both massive fans of the strip we do have diverging ideas a bit, as it is precious to both! I would rather any strip carried `dialogue` if possible!

Hopefully we can get agreement! I only wish I could draw! Though I loved art at School, my drawing skills...were ;and still are, abysmal beyond belief!

However! I would be most willing to compose a storyline, or ideas for one!
I have some art samples from Rab, and will be contacting DCT about this possibility.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:09 pm

If it gets the go-ahead Tony... would you want a story in several parts! rather than a one-off adventure?

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:13 pm

alanultron5 wrote:If it gets the go-ahead Tony... would you want a story in several parts! rather than a one-off adventure?
What page length were you thinking of?

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiff_B on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:44 am

BTW, will issue 13 mention the launch of this forum? The more the merrier!

Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:02 am

Spiff_B wrote:BTW, will issue 13 mention the launch of this forum? The more the merrier!
#14 will, but #13 was effectively finished before we were up and running. I echo your sentiments though, so spread the word...

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:28 am

Any word of a PDF version for your visually impaired reader Very Happy

Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:34 am

Hourglass wrote:Any word of a PDF version for your visually impaired reader Very Happy
I shall see what we can do...

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:29 pm

Any I.Spy story length depends on wether Rab and I can agree I sippose! I certainly hope for a strip with dialogue, but i'm not certain if Rab might wish this! My view is that a strip with dialogue produces a better plot!

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:47 pm

alanultron5 wrote:Any I.Spy story length depends on wether Rab and I can agree I sippose! I certainly hope for a strip with dialogue, but i'm not certain if Rab might wish this! My view is that a strip with dialogue produces a better plot!
I think dialogue is essential.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:28 pm

Crikey! is now available in PDF form for the visually impaired reader - or for any other reader for that matter. Usual prices apply.

GBF

http://www.glennbfleming.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:30 pm

How do things stand re a possible Crikey Annual /Book now? Has that laudable project been affected by the problems?

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:00 pm

alanultron5 wrote:How do things stand re a possible Crikey Annual /Book now? Has that laudable project been affected by the problems?
It's been set back by the current financial difficulties, but we're still looking at it as something we want to do.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:24 pm

Well! If things do improve, a Crikey book would be something to very much look foreward to!

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:29 am

Crikey! 13 is in the shops this week. You can also get it via the Crikey! website. 52 pages with a 8 page colour centre section. Kevin O'Neill is interviewed and Doctor Who, British Marvel, Hatch, Four D Jones, Tank Girl and PULP feature along with the regulars. Let us know what you think of the new format...

GBF

http://www.glennbfleming.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:14 pm

Hopefully my local "Forbidden Planet" shop will have them in!

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:16 pm

alanultron5 wrote:Hopefully my local "Forbidden Planet" shop will have them in!
You're probably looking at Wednesday, Alan.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:47 pm

I'd order from Crikey itself and have just joined Paypal on E.Bay! Could I manage to pay with that-or does my Paypal only apply to E.Bay items?

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:04 pm

alanultron5 wrote:I'd order from Crikey itself and have just joined Paypal on E.Bay! Could I manage to pay with that-or does my Paypal only apply to E.Bay items?
No, PayPal can be used for Crikey! or for anything else where the seller states that it's an option. It doesn't have to be ebay. I have a personal PayPal account, so I could send money direct to you, or you to me.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:12 pm

Thanks Tony for Crikey package! Highlight of No 13 is new `Cloak` strip! HOORAY!! Crikey has made comic history! It really has! I sure hope there might be more from Mike. Really enjoyed his article about how Cloaky `came to be`

I read somewhere (I think in an earlier Crikey) that Mike knew of the Sparky `I. Spy` strip and I got the feeling he wasn't exactly over the moon about it (full apologies if I read `Mikes` views wrongly) I would love to know if Mike ever followed the latter day I. Spy stories where the plots became pretty detailed considering it was only a `fun-strip`.

I also hope that Rab and I might be able to submit a `workeable` I. Spy effort if Crikey can get Thomson permission! My grandiose plot ideas may have to be railed back though!

Me letter in No 13 does come a bit of an `Alan Moore` bash! But it is how I feel about what I have encountered of his work!

Finally, if `Granny Cupp and her Flying Saucer` keeps getting left out of `Nutty Notions` I shall never forgive you Tony! Sad Crying or Very sad Wink

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:00 pm

I shall have to work Granny into the NN's section soon, then! Or I might end up in the doghouse along with poor Mr Moore...

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:44 pm

Speaking of `NN` Issue 13 featured "Invisible Dick" . Now, In my letter to Crikey (effusively praising the issue!) I put in a P.S corrections for two errors therein, bieng the `nit-picker` that I am!

"Dick" commenced in 1967 (not 1968) a `minor` error really! However, it was Tony Speer not Andy Tew who was the artist! Wether its something Mr Speer would be happy to have placed on another artists shoulders I don't know-but Andt T is innocent! Tony Speer did it!!

It is whoever wrote the thing I have it in for! Cheers! Very Happy Wink

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiff_B on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:07 pm

Just been to Nostalgia & Comics in Birmingham -- no Crikey. Didn't see the last issue there either; got it from Borders.

Brum's Forbidden Planet doesn't stock in; they only stocked the first few issues.

Crikey's quite a large format -- larger than my letterbox anyway! Which has inner and outer flaps to keep drafts out, so lord knows what state it'd be in once postie had his wicked way with it! Otherwise I'd already have a sub.

Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:23 pm

Wolverhamptons `Forbidden Planet` shop does stock it! I ordered No 13 this time from Tony (Thanks Tony!) The highlight for me in 13 was Mike Higgs new `Cloak` strip (in colour too!) and Mike's explanation of how the `Cloak` came to be! Wonderful!!

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:46 pm

Spiff_B wrote:Just been to Nostalgia & Comics in Birmingham -- no Crikey. Didn't see the last issue there either; got it from Borders.

Brum's Forbidden Planet doesn't stock in; they only stocked the first few issues.

Crikey's quite a large format -- larger than my letterbox anyway! Which has inner and outer flaps to keep drafts out, so lord knows what state it'd be in once postie had his wicked way with it! Otherwise I'd already have a sub.
We've spoken to Dave at N&C: they get their copies from Forbidden Planet International, and have yet to receive them. Should be on their way, though.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiff_B on Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Thanks Tony.

I'll try Mon or Tues.

Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:57 pm

Regarding the branches of Forbidden Planet that don't stock Crikey!: there are two separate chains. Forbidden Planet International (whose stores are listed in the 'outlets' list) have always carried us, but the 'other' Forbidden Planet chain (including the London branch) refuse to stock what they consider 'fanzines' (unless they're written by Alan Moore, it seems). The best chance we have of getting them to change their mind is simply for anyone who wants it to go in and ask them why they aren't stocking it.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiff_B on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:39 pm

I often get confused by the different FPs.

If there's no Crikey in Nostalgia when I go next week, I'll ask the Brum FP branch why they don't stock it. Well, I'll probably ask at some point regardless!

Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiff_B on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:45 am

Got Crikey from Nostalgia yesterday.

How about a 'Feedback for issue 13' thread? (And so on, as issues are published.)

Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:33 am

Spiff_B wrote:Got Crikey from Nostalgia yesterday.

How about a 'Feedback for issue 13' thread? (And so on, as issues are published.)
Can and will do!

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:52 pm

How is Crikey 14 coming along Tony?

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:24 pm

alanultron5 wrote:How is Crikey 14 coming along Tony?
A fair sized chunk of it's already done. It will have an underlying theme tied to an upcoming comics related anniversary. That's all I'm saying for now... Very Happy

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:11 pm

Definatly something to look foreward too! Very Happy

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by THEDRUNKENMASTERTWO on Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:30 pm

Sorry to hear how badly Borders going down has effected you, hope you get the new issue out soon.

Thanks.

THEDRUNKENMASTERTWO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:22 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top