Crikey! # 15

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Crikey! # 15

Post by MLP* on Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:37 pm

Only time for a quick flick through the issue so far. (Sometimes having to work for a living can really put a crimp on your day.)

Looking forward to reading the rest of the 80s Eagle article.

Loving the cover to the second Willy The Kid book on page 13. I spent endless hours poring over that book after receiving it one Christmas as a kid and have been a lifelong fan of Baxendale ever since.
I even have a couple of Baxendale's Willy The Kid prints framed on my wall. Smile

MLP*

Posts : 273
Join date : 2010-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Crikey! # 15

Post by tony ingram on Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:02 pm

Baxendale is a genius-right up there with my personal fave, the great Ken Reid (well, almost).

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Crikey! # 15

Post by Spiff_B on Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:53 am

Jealous of your prints, MLP!

I'm Baxendale fan too, particularly Willy the Kid. Book 2's brilliant, but not as good as the first Willy the Kid book, which is probably my most treasured annual.

Spiff_B

Posts : 125
Join date : 2010-01-05
Location : Birmingham

Back to top Go down

Re: Crikey! # 15

Post by MLP* on Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:37 pm

Spiff_B wrote:Jealous of your prints, MLP!

I'm Baxendale fan too, particularly Willy the Kid. Book 2's brilliant, but not as good as the first Willy the Kid book, which is probably my most treasured annual.

The prints are available from Baxendale's website. Expensive but I decided I was worth it. Cool

http://www.reaper.co.uk/bksnprn/limit.htm

And yeah, my Willy The Kid books are extremely tatty from years of being read and reread but thirty years on I still have them all. And if I had to run into a burning building to save any of my collection it would be them that I would grab. Very Happy

MLP*

Posts : 273
Join date : 2010-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Crikey! # 15

Post by tony ingram on Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:15 pm

MLP* wrote:
Spiff_B wrote:Jealous of your prints, MLP!

I'm Baxendale fan too, particularly Willy the Kid. Book 2's brilliant, but not as good as the first Willy the Kid book, which is probably my most treasured annual.

The prints are available from Baxendale's website. Expensive but I decided I was worth it. Cool

http://www.reaper.co.uk/bksnprn/limit.htm

And yeah, my Willy The Kid books are extremely tatty from years of being read and reread but thirty years on I still have them all. And if I had to run into a burning building to save any of my collection it would be them that I would grab. Very Happy
See, I've never quite understood this what-would-you-save thing. Personally, I'd bypass the collection and head straight for the fire extinguisher instead, more chance of saving the lot that way...


I've missed the point, haven't I?

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Crikey! # 15

Post by Spiff_B on Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:52 pm

MLP* wrote:
Spiff_B wrote:Jealous of your prints, MLP!

I'm Baxendale fan too, particularly Willy the Kid. Book 2's brilliant, but not as good as the first Willy the Kid book, which is probably my most treasured annual.

The prints are available from Baxendale's website. Expensive but I decided I was worth it. Cool

http://www.reaper.co.uk/bksnprn/limit.htm

And yeah, my Willy The Kid books are extremely tatty from years of being read and reread but thirty years on I still have them all. And if I had to run into a burning building to save any of my collection it would be them that I would grab. Very Happy
I visit the Baxendale site occasionally, must've missed these. Dearth of pics; the picnic one sounds worth a punt.

I got rid of most of my annuals in my mid-teens (have since bought many back...) but the Willy books easily survived the cull!

Spiff_B

Posts : 125
Join date : 2010-01-05
Location : Birmingham

Back to top Go down

Re: Crikey! # 15

Post by MLP* on Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:26 pm

Spiff_B wrote:
MLP* wrote:
Spiff_B wrote:Jealous of your prints, MLP!

I'm Baxendale fan too, particularly Willy the Kid. Book 2's brilliant, but not as good as the first Willy the Kid book, which is probably my most treasured annual.

The prints are available from Baxendale's website. Expensive but I decided I was worth it. Cool

http://www.reaper.co.uk/bksnprn/limit.htm

And yeah, my Willy The Kid books are extremely tatty from years of being read and reread but thirty years on I still have them all. And if I had to run into a burning building to save any of my collection it would be them that I would grab. Very Happy
I visit the Baxendale site occasionally, must've missed these. Dearth of pics; the picnic one sounds worth a punt.

I bought the picnic and cricket ones and framed up they make for a really nice pair. ( I bought one of them and it was so nice when it arrived I knew I had to have both !)
They are hand finished and signed by Baxendale.
It sounds like I'm on a commision but I'm not. pirat

MLP*

Posts : 273
Join date : 2010-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Crikey! # 15

Post by Spiff_B on Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:59 pm

I think I'll start with the picnic one and see what I think (not a sports fan!).

Spiff_B

Posts : 125
Join date : 2010-01-05
Location : Birmingham

Back to top Go down

Re: Crikey! # 15

Post by MLP* on Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:27 pm

Finished reading the issue. A good mix of articles as always with some characters I've heard of (like Darkie) and some I haven't (like Captain Hurricane.)

Spiff_B wrote:I think I'll start with the picnic one and see what I think (not a sports fan!).

Cool. Let us know what you think when it arrives. Smile

MLP*

Posts : 273
Join date : 2010-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Crikey! # 15

Post by Hourglass on Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:16 pm

Just wanted to complement you on another fine issue. I particually enjoyed the Spoof Spooks article as I remember many of these strips as a child. It was very well researched and the accompanying strips most amusing. Please give Mr Devaney my regards on a fantastic job.

I look forward to next issue, particularly since it covers one of my all time favorite comic series.

Hourglass

Posts : 466
Join date : 2009-12-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Crikey! # 15

Post by tony ingram on Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:31 pm

Hourglass wrote:Just wanted to complement you on another fine issue. I particually enjoyed the Spoof Spooks article as I remember many of these strips as a child. It was very well researched and the accompanying strips most amusing. Please give Mr Devaney my regards on a fantastic job.

I look forward to next issue, particularly since it covers one of my all time favorite comic series.
IPC had a long standing love affair with spooks, well worth revisiting I agree. Brian Walker's stuff was probably my favourite.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Crikey! # 15

Post by alanultron5 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:18 pm

Is Crikey 15 out now then please? Alan.

alanultron5

Posts : 453
Join date : 2010-01-04
Age : 61
Location : Wonderful, wonderful Wolverhampton!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Crikey! # 15

Post by tony ingram on Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:46 pm

alanultron5 wrote:Is Crikey 15 out now then please? Alan.
It is indeed, Alan. Take it you haven't seen it yet?

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Crikey! # 15

Post by alanultron5 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:10 pm

No Tony! I havn't i'm afraid. Can I pay via the Crikey mail address please? If you could repeat the E.Mail please as my recent memory is poor. I will get £5.00 is it? Off to Crikey! Al.

alanultron5

Posts : 453
Join date : 2010-01-04
Age : 61
Location : Wonderful, wonderful Wolverhampton!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Crikey! # 15

Post by tony ingram on Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:37 pm

alanultron5 wrote:No Tony! I havn't i'm afraid. Can I pay via the Crikey mail address please? If you could repeat the E.Mail please as my recent memory is poor. I will get £5.00 is it? Off to Crikey! Al.
Sorted!

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Crikey! # 15

Post by alanultron5 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:11 pm

Thank you to Tony for No 15. Not too much in it to my taste this time-but sure there is lots for other Crikey fans though! Hoping that Rab Smith's "I.Spy" article might surface next issue as I hope to send in a letter to Crikey regarding his fine article (I have a advance copy!) Smile

alanultron5

Posts : 453
Join date : 2010-01-04
Age : 61
Location : Wonderful, wonderful Wolverhampton!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Crikey! # 15

Post by tony ingram on Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:27 pm

alanultron5 wrote:Thank you to Tony for No 15. Not too much in it to my taste this time-but sure there is lots for other Crikey fans though! Hoping that Rab Smith's "I.Spy" article might surface next issue as I hope to send in a letter to Crikey regarding his fine article (I have a advance copy!) Smile
It's definitely in, Alan. That's one schedule change that won't happen again...

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Crikey! # 15

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:58 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum