Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Decline in quality of DW mags

5 posters

Go down

Decline in quality of DW mags Empty Decline in quality of DW mags

Post by Hourglass Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:27 am

This video offers an interesting comparison to DWW and DWA. My own view is pretty much the same as the vid. I enjoyed DWW and DW classics as a child but it was for the quantity of material in it. DWA has nothing really to offer at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvlIX4oklQ4
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Decline in quality of DW mags Empty Re: Decline in quality of DW mags

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:11 pm

Not quite true - I buy DWA for the posters and gifts. The posters are all over the walls of my room, and thanks to DWA I have a DW beach ball (which my brothers and I enjoy playing with in my room), a DW yo-yo, a Dalek folder (in which I keep important documents), DW stationery, a Dalek notepad...
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:33 pm

I've been buying DWM since the first (weekly) issue, but I must admit, these days it's more out of habit and to keep my collection complete than anything else-I probably have about 18 months worth still waiting to be read and filed away as I now basically skim read it and then put it to one side. In the 'wilderness years', when Who wasn't on TV, the mag was at it's best-it was a must read every month, innovative and informative and often a lot of fun, too. Since 2005, it has gradually degenerated into nothing but a mouthpiece for BBC Wales, with the intriguing warts-and-all articles replaced by puff pieces about how fantastic all the new stuff is and virtually no space devoted to the preceding forty years! Even the comic strip is a shadow of its former self, in my opinion. But then, I guess it's being aimed at a younger audience these days.

DWA, I haven't picked up beyond about the third issue. But I'm probably not the target market for that (though Lucy evidently is, because of her stationary habit Decline in quality of DW mags Icon_wink ). I have to say, watching that video it is painfully apparent that the modern DWA, while apparently aimed at the same age group as Doctor Who Weekly, has far less actual content of any worth despite having more pages. And the price fluctuating according to the value of the supposedly 'free' gift is disgusting!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:36 pm

The modern DWA is mostly pictures, because the attention spans and intelligence of children have declined as modern technology (like televisions, computers and game consoles) has become more widespread.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:40 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:The modern DWA is mostly pictures, because the attention spans and intelligence of children have declined as modern technology (like televisions, computers and game consoles) has become more widespread.
You can see that. I can see that. It's a shame those running our education system can't see that.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:03 am

I haven't bought DWM for ages. It's just so empty now.
codywillis1
codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:28 am

And yet still overpriced...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by felneymike Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:40 pm

Lucy McGough wrote: the attention spans and intelligence of children have declined as modern technology (like televisions, computers and game consoles) has become more widespread.

Have they really, though? Or is it just assumed by adults that because kids play videogames they will only like things that look like, and are paced like, videogames? If that was really the case why did the brick-sized Harry Potter books sell so well?

Also if you want really fast-paced videogames you need to look back to the 80's and early 90's, modern "cinematic" games would be left in the dust of sheer chaos like Galaga! Same with cartoons, the original Johnny Quest or the 90's Bucky O Hare threw the viewer straight into huge battles and epic action sequences. Modern cartoons need to explain it all in a socio-political context first. Like the horrendous modern Jonny Quest, i'm glad i was growing out of cartoons when all that cack came along.

felneymike

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:45 pm

So, what you're actually saying Mike is that kids may not be totally illiterate but their aptitude with computer games has declined? Fair enough. As long as we're in agreement that the older generation were smarter. Twisted Evil
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:51 pm

tony ingram wrote:So, what you're actually saying Mike is that kids may not be totally illiterate but their aptitude with computer games has declined? Fair enough. As long as we're in agreement that the older generation were smarter. Twisted Evil
And as long as we agree that I'm in the older generation! Very Happy
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:02 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:
tony ingram wrote:So, what you're actually saying Mike is that kids may not be totally illiterate but their aptitude with computer games has declined? Fair enough. As long as we're in agreement that the older generation were smarter. Twisted Evil
And as long as we agree that I'm in the older generation! Very Happy
Well, you're certainly not getting any younger, Luce.

er, that didn't come out quite right...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:27 pm

It's okay, I know what you meant.

What you meant was, "You are incredibly intelligent, Luce, unlike those young whippersnappers." Very Happy
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:32 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:It's okay, I know what you meant.

What you meant was, "You are incredibly intelligent, Luce, unlike those young whippersnappers." Very Happy
Yes, that is it exactly. That is exactly what I meant. Not, in any way, 'well, you'll never see 21 again'. Very Happy

(phew-I got away with it!) Cool
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:17 pm

I shall watch you like a hawk and you will feel my righteous vengeance when you least expect it.

Bought Doctor Who Adventures and Doctor Who Magazine yesterday. I'm not addicted! I swear! But Doctor Who Adventures had free iDalek playing cards, and this really good poster of the Tardis...

.... I think I may need help.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:19 pm

Cold turkey. It's the only answer. I'm going to lock you in a room for a week with no stationary, and only old episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise to watch. It's for your own good!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:27 pm

It won't make me change. Nothing makes me change Razz

Anyway, my DW beachball is a great stress-reliever. When I feel stressed I kick it around the room and hope it doesn't hit anything valuable. It's practically therapeutic.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:16 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:It won't make me change. Nothing makes me change Razz

Anyway, my DW beachball is a great stress-reliever. When I feel stressed I kick it around the room and hope it doesn't hit anything valuable. It's practically therapeutic.
You have a Doctor Who beach ball.

It's worse than I thought. Nurse-the screens!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down