Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Tennant seasons in GB's Top 10

5 posters

Go down

No Tennant seasons in GB's Top 10 Empty No Tennant seasons in GB's Top 10

Post by codywillis1 Fri May 06, 2011 5:28 am

In the analysis of the Timelash II polls over on GB, not one Tennant season has made it into the top 10... but that 'unpopular' Doctor, our Sylv, gets season 26 in there.

Tee hee, chuckle, guffaw. JUSTICE. Laughing Very Happy Razz
codywillis1
codywillis1

Back to top Go down

No Tennant seasons in GB's Top 10 Empty Re: No Tennant seasons in GB's Top 10

Post by tony ingram Fri May 06, 2011 5:47 pm

codywillis1 wrote:In the analysis of the Timelash II polls over on GB, not one Tennant season has made it into the top 10... but that 'unpopular' Doctor, our Sylv, gets season 26 in there.

Tee hee, chuckle, guffaw. JUSTICE. Laughing Very Happy Razz
I am suitably chuffed with this. Finally, people are waking up to the truth! Obviously, the effects of Russell's insidious subliminal brainwashing were only temporary after all.God it's all absolutely brilliant and utterly fantastic and I'm a fat, egotistical Welsh knobhead
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kembel Fri May 06, 2011 6:13 pm

Great.

In years to come cultural analysis will look back on 'NuWho, the RTD years' and ignore the viewing figures, numbering in millions, and the saturation press coverage, and the Audience Appreciation figures numbering in the high 80's, and how the programme has managed to put family drama back into the viewing habits of many on a Saturday Night (after they, whoever they are, said it couldn't be done anymore) and concentrate on the all important social barometer that is the Timeleash II polls over on GB.

I personally prefer S26 over about half of the RTD years, its a crackin' season that shows that Classic Who could still be done with a bit of originality and panache after years of seeming unable to do so. But whats even more enjoyable than S26 is seeing/hearing/reading 'fandom', or certain parts of it, not getting over the fact that 'their' show is no longer theirs, but back as public property as it was in the 60's and 70's.

I'm sure the people behind 'The Tennant Years' are suitably gutted not to have been placed higher than a season of which the very first episode was originally watched by about the same amount of people who can fit into a smallish field, and in a poll named after a Colin Baker comedy.

Or maybe no ones told them yet. Razz
kembel
kembel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri May 06, 2011 6:16 pm

Let's all lie down on the grass and hold hands and look at the stars Smile

Ranking systems are silly anyway Razz
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri May 06, 2011 6:23 pm

kembel wrote:
I personally prefer S26 over about half of the RTD years, its a crackin' season that shows that Classic Who could still be done with a bit of originality and panache after years of seeming unable to do so. But whats even more enjoyable than S26 is seeing/hearing/reading 'fandom', or certain parts of it, not getting over the fact that 'their' show is no longer theirs, but back as public property as it was in the 60's and 70's.
It will always be ours, no matter how much people like Really Tiresome Davies try to disenfranchise us. Because the public is a fickle thing, and when the masses get bored and move on, Doctor Who will come back to us as it did in the eighties under JNT, in the nineties with the books and BBV, and in the early noughties with Big Finish. Writers with more imagination than the Welsh one will correct any mistakes that were made, and Doctor Who will quietly carry on as ever, in whatever form. ours, as it always has been. As it always should be. Twisted Evil
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kembel Fri May 06, 2011 6:32 pm

tony ingram wrote:It will always be ours...As it always should be. Twisted Evil

Are you serious?
kembel
kembel

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri May 06, 2011 6:38 pm

kembel wrote:
tony ingram wrote:It will always be ours...As it always should be. Twisted Evil

Are you serious?
Not entirely.

But as one of those selfsame obsessive hardcore fans, I do get a bit narked at people delightedly crowing that a series we invested a helluva lot in (emotionally and financially) over those years is 'not ours' anymore. If it's everyone's, then it's also ours.

And I'd be lying if I said I didn't sometimes miss the 90s. The man in the street might believe that decade was devoid of Who, but as a fan of the books it was a golden era for me: one, sometimes two new stories a month (more, when Big Finish arrived with the audios) and almost all of them intelligent, decently plotted sci-fi aimed at an audience the age I was then. Pure bliss. The fact that it wasn't on TV bothered me not at all, really. And I've still never forgiven the BBC for pointlessly cancelling my beloved EDA's and PDA's.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kembel Fri May 06, 2011 7:10 pm

I'd love to know how one 'delightedly crow's'. It sounds fun and I'd like to try it one day.

If my post has touched some kind of 'nerve' with you Tony (again, it seems) then I'm not solely to blame. We so obviously have a lot in common as regard this particular show, and yet are worlds apart in our tastes and views on what we actually define by 'show'. If this forum is to be one of those elitist, ahem, hardcore, fan sites, with no room for any other kind of expression or contrasting viewpoints, them excuse me while I disappear from it forever. Its only recently its become that, IMO, and only from one direction. I've probably mistaken this place as some kind of 'haven' from the likes of GB, but was obviously wrong. Because I'm certainly not going to stick around a place where the 'hardcore' of fandom moderate, because 'hardcore' obsessives I can do without. Life is far, far too much short for all that. People who love the programme I can relate to, and I'm off somewhere to find me some.

I find it hard relating to someone on a Doctor Who forum who, I quote, 'misses the 90's.', or someone who 'has still never forgiven the BBC'. Strange.

I once shared my grief on here with you regarding the death of Nick Courtney. It was good to do that and I thank you for the opportunity. The reason we were able to do that, was because we were of a certain age to relate to particular character in a mainstream TV show, that just happened to be bloody wonderful, with a fictional hero who has gone on to prove himself time and again to be understanding to others, emphasise with difference, and be warm hearted. It wasn't in some niche fan elite then, and thats the mindset I've always had about it, and always will.

For a show with such depth, wide range and good nature at its heart I find the narrow mindedness and petty selfishness of the people who 'claim' to be obsessive about it quite staggering.

I haven't been around too long to make too many friends, but I wish Luce all the best, and you, Tony, well I wish you well too, and hope you enjoy your many years of elitest obscurity to come.

I'm just going to carry on loving this bloody wonderful show, past and present.

"I hate goodbye's"

kembel
kembel

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri May 06, 2011 8:00 pm

A bit of an overreaction, I think-particularly since I don't tend to moderate, I just express my views as everyone else does. You're free to argue with them and won't ever be censored for doing so, here. But that doesn'tt mean that simply because I happen to be an admin, I can't freely express myself (or at least, it shouldn't). Yes, I miss the 90s. For me, it was a good time to be a fan. Why shouldn't I say so, if I feel that way? Yes, I was in that fan niche, and happy to be there-though I don't see it as elitism. You're only really into the TV show it seems, and that's fine. I have always been into Who in all its varied forms, and I don't see why that isn't also fine. As for the 'crowing' bit-perhaps I should have clarified that that wasn't aimed entirely at you, but you did touch a nerve because the exact words you used have come up again and again on places like GB in the last few years. I can understand why those for whom the TV show is all might have been unreservedly delighted by its return, but many of those who followed the books every month for over a decade did indeed feel we lost something as a result-and I just don't see why someone else's loss is anything to celebrate. All the same, I do wish you wouldn't leave. We are equals here. I can disagree with you and you can disagree with me. But I'm not trying to make anyone feel unwelcome. And I'm not censoring anyone's speech.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 Sat May 07, 2011 12:29 am

Judging from Kembel's bitchy response, I think it was my post that struck a nerve there, tony. Wink Very Happy Laughing

I don't give a rats ass about mainstream popularity one way or the other. Mainstream success means zilcho - for proof, look at millions of other shows that are utter s**t but get big ratings. The mainstream is widely populated by complete clueless tits.

But the Tennant era was s**t, and given the VERY LOUD level of Sylv bashing on GB (which often comes from the "Tennant is the best Doctoh EVAH" brigade) it is good to see that even on that frequently bewildering site, the big gobs are, for all they would like to pretend otherwise, NOT speaking for the majority even on there.
codywillis1
codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat May 07, 2011 9:19 am

The empty vessel makes the most noise, I find.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat May 07, 2011 9:58 am

Kembel was nice. Can't we ask him to come back? Smile
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat May 07, 2011 10:06 am

Lucy McGough wrote:Kembel was nice. Can't we ask him to come back? Smile
Feel free to PM him. It's entirely up to him.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat May 07, 2011 12:56 pm

See, I told you ranking systems were silly Razz

I am a Sybil and you should heed my words of wisdom.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Sat May 07, 2011 3:51 pm

Seems all a little over the top from all parties to me. Kembel must come back - but if he's gone, he's not likely to look around the forum and see if we want him back.
GBF
GBF

http://www.glennbfleming.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat May 07, 2011 4:48 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:See, I told you ranking systems were silly Razz

I am a Sybil and you should heed my words of wisdom.
You are a Sybil? I always thought you were fawlty...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down