Justice Society of America: World's Greatest Heroes?

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Justice Society of America: World's Greatest Heroes?

Post by tony ingram on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:39 pm

I think you got the better end of that deal. You got The Avengers too, though, didn't you?

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:56 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Silogramsam wrote:who are you really, major?  Peter David?  His mom? Arrow Wink Wink Wink Wink 
His agent, I suspect.
I met him ages ago when I applied for a job with Marvel (back in the late 1980s), and I use to hang out with a comic book crowd ages ago. (The store I use to go to / help out with had connections, especially since it was so close to NYC, and a bunch of writers, artists and others lived in the area. Amanda Conner use to work at the store when she was breaking into the business, as did Kurt Busiek's wife (though they weren't yet married then).)

MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Silogramsam on Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:11 pm

I think you got the better end of that deal. You got The Avengers too, though, didn't you? wrote:

yes although I understood it better when I got older

did you get The Man from U.N.C.L.E.?

Silogramsam

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:13 pm

Silogramsam wrote:

yes although I understood it better when I got older

did you get The Man from U.N.C.L.E.?
Oh, yeah-I loved that show!

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:22 am

Been looking at this book released last year, a celebration of the JSA's 75th, and the contents baffle me. As a representation of 75 years of the team's adventures, they seem seriously skewed in favour of the Silver Age (not the era the team originated in) and the modern era (post 1990) and they've also made the baffling decision to publish several parts of stories rather than complete ones. So, we have two complete Golden Age stories, followed by their first team-up with the JLA from JLA #21-22; so far, so good. But then, we have the second parts only of two more team-up tales from JLA #30 and #47 (why not just pick one story and print both parts?) followed by another complete two parter from #82-83, giving us about 150 pages of Silver Age material that's often focused more on the JLA than the JSA. The entire Bronze Age, a period in which the team actually had their own book again for a couple of years amongst many other appearances, is then basically represented by one 17 page flashback story from Adventure Comics, before we get an inexplicable shift to the eighties and two stories from All-Star Squadron. Didn't the 70s deserve more than that? Then, the book is rounded out by more incomplete material, in the conclusions of three separate ongoing stories from 1992, 1999 and 2001, a story from 2007 focusing on the Superman from Kingom Come, and then an apparently random issue of the godawful new Earth 2 title which, as far as I can see, has no real connection to the original JSA at all! Why? I get the distinct impression whoever picked this lineup of stories really had no particular feeling for the characters at all...they didn't even include their origin story, for Heaven's sake!

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy McGough on Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:09 pm

Um... on the plus side, it's a good cover image...

Lucy McGough

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:19 pm

Which features only three of the original Justice Society...

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:44 pm

tony ingram wrote:Which features only three of the original Justice Society...

Well, in their slight defense, I think it's 75 years for a reason. They want to sell it to those who like the old stuff, but also people who might want to see where the team is now. And in the future. I think it would be hard to do a good overview of ANY of these characters, given how many versions there are and how some fans react to the versions they don't like.
Sometimes I wonder if DC has a handle on who their audience actually is. They always seem so rudderless.

Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:36 pm

Having pretty much half the book be random chunks of incomplete stories just seems pointless, though. New or old fans, who wants to read just the last part of a story?

Last edited by tony ingram on Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:47 am

tony ingram wrote:Having pretty much half the book be random chunks of incomplete stories just seems pointless, though. New or old fans, who wants to read just the last part of a story?

I don't disagree. I just think given the history, there's little hope of appealing to anyone, although complete stories would seem a better idea.

Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:24 am

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Having pretty much half the book be random chunks of incomplete stories just seems pointless, though. New or old fans, who wants to read just the last part of a story?

I don't disagree. I just think given the history, there's little hope of appealing to anyone, although complete stories would seem a better idea.
Complete stories, and a more even mix of the different eras, I think.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:07 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top