Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Shadow

+2
BluesShark
Sam_Vimes
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Shadow Empty The Shadow

Post by tony ingram Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:47 pm

Is anyone else planning on picking up Garth Ennis's new Shadow series from Dynamite? Looks pretty good to me, though I know some Shadow purists are complaining that his research for the series has basically amounted to checking out previous comics incarnations rather than reading over three hundred pulp novels...

Last edited by tony ingram on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Shadow Empty Re: The Shadow

Post by Sam_Vimes Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:57 am

I added it to my pull list almost as soon as it was announced. I kind of had to, considering I named my son after him. I also added an extra copy for my sister, because we're both fans and I needed to get her a birthday present anyway.

As for Garth's research I can't say that I blame him. As good as the pulps are, that version of the character is certainly not the most popular version. I just hope he's at least somewhat familiar with the non-comic book media, though, so he can make some kind of artful mish-mash or something. I think the Orson Welles and Alec Baldwin versions were particularly full of good ideas, for instance.

(And no, I'm not kidding about my son. His name is, in fact, "Shadow".)

Last edited by Sam_Vimes on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Mixed-up words)
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:02 am

I'm glad for your son's sake that you weren't a major fan of the Green Hornet instead... Razz
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:07 am

Oh, but I am! I just like Kato more, which is why my daughter was named Dragon. You know. . .after Bruce Lee.

My wife really needs to step in when we're naming the next one, I think. . . .
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:12 am

Dragon...Shadow...you're raising a couple of potential Ninja mercenaries, you know that, right? Nobody called 'Shadow' is going to grow up to become an accountant! And you're more or less obligated to call the next one 'Scorpion' or something; Dragon, Shadow and Derek just doesn't work...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:21 am

Oh, I know. Now that we've dabbled in the weird names we'll have to see it through to the bitter end. For the sake of symmetry we're pretty much locked in. My poor children. . . .

Well, at least they'll be ninjas!
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:03 am

Sam_Vimes wrote:As for Garth's research I can't say that I blame him. As good as the pulps are, that version of the character is certainly not the most popular version. I just hope he's at least somewhat familiar with the non-comic book media, though, so he can make some kind of artful mish-mash or something. I think the Orson Welles and Alec Baldwin versions were particularly full of good ideas, for instance.

I LOVE the Alec Baldwin movie, I truly do. I also like the Chaykin version, and have listened to the radio shows often. I have read The Shadow Unmasks (which makes me wonder who his 3rd "real" identity was...), but didn't like the writing. So, I'll probably pick this up. Sounds fun.
I don't know. On some level I feel for the purists, but as I've said before, a new version doesn't destroy the version you like. It's not as though we're going to get a movie version that's just like the pulps. Some "new" versions are really good. I like Dennis O'Neill's Question at least as much as Ditko's, for example. I'll just take the series as it comes, and like it or not.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:00 am

Finally got my copy yesterday and absolutely loved it. Admittedly, t isn't 100% faithful to the pulps, but then I doubt it would have sold as well if it were. And I thin k Ennis has really nailed the Shadow as a character. Loved the scene where he mowed down a crowd of hired thugs while somehow shooting around the one guy who'd surrendered!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:21 am

tony ingram wrote:Is anyone else planning on picking up Garth Ennis's new Shadow series from Dynamite? Looks pretty good to me, though I know some Shadow purists are complaining that his research for the series has basically amounted to checking out previous comics incarnations rather than reading over three hundred pulp novels...

I've tried to read the pulps (as well as the 1960s revivals) and they're badly written. Badly.
I did pick up the first issue, and I enjoyed it. Enough to keep me going, but it wasn't fantastic. It may turn out that way in the end, we'll see.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:38 am

There's one Shadow purist on another forum who was complaining a few days ago that Ennis's Margo Lane deviates too much from the personality of the one in the books. Which surprised me, as from what little I recall of the pulps, the original Margo didn't have a personality...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:33 am

I wanted the next issue immediately. That's the highest praise I can give a comic, I think.

As for Margo. . .yeah, I'm not sure what "personality" she's supposed to have. She's always just been a device to keep The Shadow from talking to himself all the time (I actually think that might literally be why she was included in the radio show).
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:16 am

I rather like the new relationship she and the Shadow have. It really brings out the fact that he's pretty much detached from normal human emotions, the way he seems to see her sleeping with him as just another of her duties as his agent. Or maybe I'm misjudging him...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:21 pm

tony ingram wrote:Or maybe I'm misjudging him...

If you are it's because it's written that way.
Yeah, I find it odd that people would complain about her personality. I think people "add in" characteristics to some characters and then think they're really there.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:39 pm

I've noticed that phenomenon before. Who was that guy on the old DC message boards who was obsessed with Rex Tyler and insisted that he was "addicted to being a superhero " despite the character having been semi-retired for about forty years?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:58 pm

tony ingram wrote:Who was that guy on the old DC message boards who was obsessed with Rex Tyler and insisted that he was "addicted to being a superhero " despite the character having been semi-retired for about forty years?

I'm not sure, but that's a great example. People seem to have difficulty differentiating between what's in their heads and what's actually on the page.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:50 pm

Another: I could be wrong about this, but...has it actually ever been definitively stated, in print, that Blue Jay is gay?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Wed May 23, 2012 1:49 pm

No, that's just wishful thinking or something. The comics have never gone there when it comes to Blue Jay, so it seems that many fans simply went there FOR them. "Head canon", I think that's called.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed May 23, 2012 1:59 pm

Sam_Vimes wrote:No, that's just wishful thinking or something. The comics have never gone there when it comes to Blue Jay, so it seems that many fans simply went there FOR them. "Head canon", I think that's called.
You'd think if they needed a character to adopt, they'd pick someone slightly less lame than Blue Jay...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Thu May 24, 2012 2:07 am

I know, right? There's probably no one lamer. Then again, part of the appeal is probably in how infrequently he's actually used. Makes plenty of room for fan fiction and personal interpretation.

Anyway, about The Shadow: I've just read issue 2 and it was a lot more Ennis-y than the first one. That should appease Garth's fanboys who bought the comic for him and not for The Shadow. Oh, and I liked how Lamont Cranston AND Kent Allard are both mentioned as alter egos, instead of one or the other. Very clever, unless I'm just missing some older story where someone else did that.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu May 24, 2012 3:20 am

Sam_Vimes wrote: Oh, and I liked how Lamont Cranston AND Kent Allard are both mentioned as alter egos, instead of one or the other. Very clever, unless I'm just missing some older story where someone else did that.

I've read references to a pulp where you find out Allard is a fake identity, too, but I've never been able to find more.
As to Blue Jay, I think you're right that he's mostly a blank slate and that's why people project.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesShark Sun May 27, 2012 12:10 pm

It was ...OK. Neither as interesting artistically as Helfer and Baker's Shadow or as true to the character as Jones and Baretto's Shadow Strikes, but better than it might have been given that Ennis openly stated he was taking Chaykin's excrable Blood and Judgement as his starting block.

I'll stick around for the ride, but actually thought the updating of The Spider from Dynamite was a better read.
BluesShark
BluesShark

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun May 27, 2012 12:49 pm

BluesShark wrote:It was ...OK. Neither as interesting artistically as Helfer and Baker's Shadow or as true to the character as Jones and Baretto's Shadow Strikes, but better than it might have been given that Ennis openly stated he was taking Chaykin's excrable Blood and Judgement as his starting block.

I'll stick around for the ride, but actually thought the updating of The Spider from Dynamite was a better read.
The Spider is pretty good, I agree. I'm liking a lot of Dynamite's stuff lately, though I lament the apparent passing of their Project Superpowers titles.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesShark Sun May 27, 2012 1:22 pm

For whatever reason, I rather think the Spider's amoral 'Nobody gave me right to do this but I'm going to do it anyway' is rather more of our times than the Shadow's 'I know best' breed of morality.
BluesShark
BluesShark

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun May 27, 2012 1:35 pm

BluesShark wrote:For whatever reason, I rather think the Spider's amoral 'Nobody gave me right to do this but I'm going to do it anyway' is rather more of our times than the Shadow's 'I know best' breed of morality.
Oh, there are still plenty of people out there who act as they do because they "know best", I assure you. I see a lot of them in local government... Wink
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:45 am

I've been enjoying the Matt Wagner-written Shadow Year One series.

The Shadow ShadowYO01CovWagner

The regular Shadow series was hit-or-miss depending on the writer and the artist.

Also enjoyed the Shadow/Green Hornet: Dark Nights limited series.

The Shadow DarkNights001CovCassaday
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:09 am

I've liked both of those, too, though I still can't get into the Hornet's solo series. For some reason, he just doesn't engage my interest.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:57 pm

The Shadow Now was pretty rad, while it lasted. I don't like this new Chaykin one, though.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:12 am

Sam_Vimes wrote:The Shadow Now was pretty rad, while it lasted. I don't like this new Chaykin one, though.
I use to like Chaykin, but after a while it seemed he was limited in the type of characters he could write. When he re-did Blackhawk for DC back in the late 1980's, it just felt like he had totally reworked his "Janos Prohaska" into a WWII version of Reuben Flagg. Chaykin's take on The Shadow for DC also wasn't the way I preferred the character.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:36 am

MajorHoy wrote:
Sam_Vimes wrote:The Shadow Now was pretty rad, while it lasted. I don't like this new Chaykin one, though.
I use to like Chaykin, but after a while it seemed he was limited in the type of characters he could write. When he re-did Blackhawk for DC back in the late 1980's, it just felt like he had totally reworked his "Janos Prohaska" into a WWII version of Reuben Flagg. Chaykin's take on The Shadow for DC also wasn't the way I preferred the character.
I liked Chaykin's Blackhawk series, but then, I never cared much for the previous versions. The original 'Bart Hawk' had about as much personality as a deck chair, I thought. At least Prohaska was interesting.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:32 am

MajorHoy wrote:I use to like Chaykin, but after a while it seemed he was limited in the type of characters he could write. When he re-did Blackhawk for DC back in the late 1980's, it just felt like he had totally reworked his "Janos Prohaska" into a WWII version of Reuben Flagg.
Oh, all authors do that after a while. Thomas Hardy puts the same comedy yokels in all his novels and just gives them different names. I don't mind though, 'cos they're much-needed comic relief.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:20 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:I use to like Chaykin, but after a while it seemed he was limited in the type of characters he could write. When he re-did Blackhawk for DC back in the late 1980's, it just felt like he had totally reworked his "Janos Prohaska" into a WWII version of Reuben Flagg.
Oh, all authors do that after a while. Thomas Hardy puts the same comedy yokels in all his novels and just gives them different names. I don't mind though, 'cos they're much-needed comic relief.
But those are the background characters . . . we're talking the main stars of the book with Chaykin.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:16 pm

Authors do that with main characters too.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:53 am

Why is the name "Bendis" coming to mind...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:48 am

tony ingram wrote:Why is the name "Bendis" coming to mind...
We can't blame Britain for him, can we?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:26 am

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Why is the name "Bendis" coming to mind...
We can't blame Britain for him, can we?
No, he's all on you...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:14 am

We, on the other hand, are responsible for Mark Millar.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:00 am

Lucy McGough wrote:We, on the other hand, are responsible for Mark Millar.
Our national shame...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:23 am

Yeah... that and the slave trade Very Happy
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:07 am

Lucy McGough wrote:Yeah... that and the slave trade Very Happy
I think others may have perpetuated the system before the English, but I can't swear to it.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:54 am

MajorHoy wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:Yeah... that and the slave trade Very Happy
I think others may have perpetuated the system before the English, but I can't swear to it.
Well, when in Rome...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:52 am

What have the Romans ever done for us?
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:38 pm

I do wish Dynamite would come out with a new Shadow series set back in the 1930s-1940s.

The Shadow Ed4d9dde7625954cb12a5f6ae80bed9e_xl
I skipped over the recent run by Si Spurrier and Daniel HDR from 2017 because a "modern day" Shadow doesn't appeal to me, and I also passed on Dynamite's The Shadow/Batman crossover (also from 2017) because I don't like the writing of Steve Orlando.
The Shadow Edf20a554f9bfe7275a8612e35023504_xl

(I did buy the previous DC crossover of Batman/The Shadow Orlando wrote, but that was a mistake.)
The Shadow C423223be80df1f1b7c4ca055b0e1a1d_xl
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:07 pm

I think the last Shadow series I bought was The Death of Margo Lane, which I didn't mind, though I mainly bought it for the art.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:57 pm

tony ingram wrote:I think the last Shadow series I bought was The Death of Margo Lane, which I didn't mind, though I mainly bought it for the art.
I found that to be an interesting read.
The Shadow 51CFkmpNvJL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_
(And, yeah, the art definitely didn't hurt it!)

What was also interesting was the 2014-15 Grendel vs. The Shadow series by Wagner published by Dark Horse.

The Shadow 25559

The Shadow 25560

The Shadow 25561

Now if only Dynamite, or even some other company who can get the license, would put out another The Shadow series set back in the 1930s or early 1940s...
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:07 pm

I don't think I've read an issue of Grendel since 1990 at the latest. I didn't even know the character was still around...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:30 pm

tony ingram wrote:I don't think I've read an issue of Grendel since 1990 at the latest. I didn't even know the character was still around...
Looks like before this, Matt Wagner had a Grendel series from Dark Horse that came out in 2007-2008.

The Shadow 14736
https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/14-736/Grendel-Behold-the-Devil-HC

I haven't seen it myself, though.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:56 pm

tony ingram wrote:I don't think I've read an issue of Grendel since 1990 at the latest. I didn't even know the character was still around...

Definitely one I mean to read all the way through, if I ever can.

As to the Shadow I think he's a character who is easy to do poorly, but is superb when done right. He should be a "force of nature"-type, scary and unknown. (IMO, of course). The more "human" he becomes the less effective.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:19 pm

Mbast1 wrote: . . . As to the Shadow I think he's a character who is easy to do poorly, but is superb when done right. He should be a "force of nature"-type, scary and unknown. (IMO, of course). The more "human" he becomes the less effective.
He should have slightly human characteristics in my opinion, but still more mysterious than, say, Batman.
Otherwise, your " 'force of nature'-type, scary and unknown" can wind up closer to the likes of Phantom Stranger or The Spectre. Shocked
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:31 am

MajorHoy wrote:Otherwise, your " 'force of nature'-type, scary and unknown" can wind up closer to the likes of Phantom Stranger or The Spectre. Shocked  

I don't have a problem with that, if that's just part of what he makes criminals think. Scaring the crap out of them with his "aura" works.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:28 am

Grendel looks like Venom.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content