Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stan Lee said what?

3 posters

Go down

Stan Lee said what? Empty Stan Lee said what?

Post by Mbast1 Sat May 05, 2012 5:04 pm

So, I'm reading this interview with Stan Lee:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/comic-riffs/post/the-avengers-to-spider-man-nearing-90-marvel-mastermind-stan-lee-shoots-from-the-still-hip-about-whedon-kirby-and-rdj/2012/05/03/gIQADiKDzT_blog.html#pagebreak

And, it's interesting. But then I see this:

Jack was great, and I have taken pains to say over and over again what a great collaborator he was and how much he contributed. But even when he was alive, I was the guy doing the publicity. I was ... the guy boosting Marvel on the front lines. Jack was the voice of Jack Kirby, and at times he left to work at D.C., and when it served his interests better he came back to Marvel.

He's upset with Kirby because he was worried about himself? Seriously, he's mad because Kirby's loyalty wasn't to the publisher over all else. I've always like Stan, but he really has earned the label someone I know gave him, Carnival barker.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Stan Lee said what? Empty Re: Stan Lee said what?

Post by Sam_Vimes Sun May 06, 2012 5:12 pm

To be fair, I think I'd hate Jack Kirby too if he created a character like Funky Flashman and told everybody it was me. Those two kids just couldn't get along. . . .
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon May 07, 2012 1:54 pm

Sam_Vimes wrote:To be fair, I think I'd hate Jack Kirby too if he created a character like Funky Flashman and told everybody it was me. Those two kids just couldn't get along. . . .

Have you seen John Byrne's version of Jim Shooter in the Legends mini-series?

I just find it funny to hear Lee talk bad about Kirby for not putting the company over everything else. Apparently Lee has never been laid off.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed May 09, 2012 11:32 am

Mbast1 wrote:
I just find it funny to hear Lee talk bad about Kirby for not putting the company over everything else. Apparently Lee has never been laid off.
Hardly surprising, given that Martin Goodman was his wife's uncle. Stan was the only person at the company in the early days whose job was actually secure!

That said, Stan and Jack's relationship was complex to say the least. I think Stan genuinely regarded Jack as a friend and was rather hurt by what he saw as Jack attacking him, while being seemingly oblivious to the justifiable resentment Jack felt over his getting all the credit for their creations.

tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu May 10, 2012 3:12 pm

tony ingram wrote:and was rather hurt by what he saw as Jack attacking him, while being seemingly oblivious to the justifiable resentment Jack felt over his getting all the credit for their creations.

I didn't think of it this way, that they were friends as well as colleagues. Important point. But, Stan was the ultimate company man, and I think it's one of the problems when he talks. People take what he says as "the" truth, and ignore his perspective.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu May 10, 2012 5:51 pm

If you haven't read them, I'd recommend two books, Tales to Astonish: Jack Kirby, Stan Lee and the American Comic Book Revolution by Ronin Ro, and Excelsior: the Amazing Life of Stan Lee by George Mair. Both books cover much the same ground, but ro's book is principally a biography of Kirby while Mair's is written in collaboration with Lee and examines events from his perspective. Separately they're both a good read, but reading both one after another was a fascinating experience for me as what I was left with was an impression of two men who were at one time genuinely close but had a wedge driven between them by circumstance both seeing the same events from rather different viewpoints.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down