Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mystery super-gay due to emerge from closet

4 posters

Go down

Mystery super-gay due to emerge from closet Empty Mystery super-gay due to emerge from closet

Post by Lucy Ingram Tue May 22, 2012 5:25 pm

Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Mystery super-gay due to emerge from closet Empty Re: Mystery super-gay due to emerge from closet

Post by Mbast1 Tue May 22, 2012 6:40 pm

It won't be Batman. It's not likely to be anyone the public really knows. It'll be "geek famous", and that's it. I think they need to do more to diversify their cast, but they've done it so badly up til now I don't know why they bother.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Mystery super-gay due to emerge from closet Empty Re: Mystery super-gay due to emerge from closet

Post by tony ingram Tue May 22, 2012 7:02 pm

Mbast1 wrote:It won't be Batman. It's not likely to be anyone the public really knows. It'll be "geek famous", and that's it. I think they need to do more to diversify their cast, but they've done it so badly up til now I don't know why they bother.
It'll be one of the JSA. They haven't yet heaped enough indignities on them.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue May 22, 2012 11:39 pm

tony ingram wrote:It'll be one of the JSA. They haven't yet heaped enough indignities on them.

I don't see how being gay would be an indignity, but I really think this is going to be just more hype from DC. They're just so rudderless, and they seem to be doing so many things just to see what sells, rather than concentrating on good, solid storytelling. I know we live in a "flash" world, but really, just tell good stories again.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Wed May 23, 2012 1:57 am

My guess is Al Pratt.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed May 23, 2012 7:22 am

Sam_Vimes wrote:My guess is Al Pratt.
The hero formerly known as Atom (yes, I DO think he's now going to be called 'Atom Smasher').
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Wed May 23, 2012 1:36 pm

Oh, man. I really hope they don't call him that. . . .

Seriously, though, I think he's going to be the gay guy. He was oddly prominent in the first issue of Earth 2, which is something he's never really been. Or maybe it's Vibe. They're bringing Vibe back, for some reason. Maybe this is the reason, I don't know.

My bet's still on Al Pratt, though.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed May 23, 2012 1:58 pm

Sam_Vimes wrote:Oh, man. I really hope they don't call him that. . . .

Seriously, though, I think he's going to be the gay guy. He was oddly prominent in the first issue of Earth 2, which is something he's never really been. Or maybe it's Vibe. They're bringing Vibe back, for some reason. Maybe this is the reason, I don't know.

My bet's still on Al Pratt, though.
DC have apparently said it's a major character, which lets out Vibe, i think...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Thu May 24, 2012 2:10 am

I don't know. . .Dan DiDio's not exactly known for being in touch with the fanbase. Maybe Vibe's his favorite character and he assumes that he's everyone else's, too, like how he assumed no one else liked Wally West or Matrix as Supergirl.

For what it's worth, my wife thinks that the "super-gay" is going to be the Martian Manhunter. He's major but not major ENOUGH, she says. I still say Al Pratt, though.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu May 24, 2012 5:35 am

A gay Martian? I suppose that makes about as much sense as anything else they've done...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu May 24, 2012 5:44 am

In Golden Perfect J'onn said that he was technically asexual.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Thu May 24, 2012 6:39 am

What an odd thing to say. Who did he say it to and why? I've read the comic, but I think I was a teenager then so my memory of it's very hazy.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu May 24, 2012 6:44 am

Lucy McGough wrote:In Golden Perfect J'onn said that he was technically asexual.
I thought he was a (formerly) happily married Martian...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu May 24, 2012 3:53 pm

tony ingram wrote:I thought he was a (formerly) happily married Martian...

True. At least in the former continuity. Maybe he just means he has no romantic interests in non-Martians?
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu May 24, 2012 4:00 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I thought he was a (formerly) happily married Martian...

True. At least in the former continuity. Maybe he just means he has no romantic interests in non-Martians?

No - he dated Scorch. I thought it meant he had no fixed gender, which means he can't be homosexual.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu May 24, 2012 5:05 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:No - he dated Scorch. I thought it meant he had no fixed gender, which means he can't be homosexual.

In which continuity did he date? And asexual doesn't mean one has no gender, it means one has no romantic inclinations. At least in the common way its used.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu May 24, 2012 5:26 pm

Mbast1 wrote:In which continuity did he date?

The old one. JLA: Trial by Fire. It came after The Obsidian Age.

Mbast1 wrote:And asexual doesn't mean one has no gender, it means one has no romantic inclinations. At least in the common way its used.

I know, but the context was Diana being all like "I am woman, hear me roar!" and J'onn saying that she shouldn't try to drag him into the gender war because "Technically speaking, I'm asexual."

So I reckon the writer (not being an LGBTQA activist, and therefore not being savvy with all the technical lingo) used "asexual" when what he meant was "without a fixed gender."
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu May 24, 2012 6:27 pm

So..does that mean J'onn's wife was also his husband? And their daughter was also their son? I have a hard time accepting that. I think the writer in question was unfamiliar with J'onn's backstory.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu May 24, 2012 7:21 pm

I can't argue with that.

Spoiler:
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu May 24, 2012 7:28 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:I can't argue with that.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu May 24, 2012 7:34 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:The old one. JLA: Trial by Fire. It came after The Obsidian Age..

Ok, just was wondering.

Lucy McGough wrote:used "asexual" when what he meant was "without a fixed gender."

That's what I was thinking. I just think it means that John can have relationships.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu May 24, 2012 7:58 pm

Mbast1 wrote: I just think it means that John can have relationships.
well of course he can't! He's a bald, green Neanderthal. Who'd look twice at the guy? Twisted Evil
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu May 24, 2012 9:23 pm

tony ingram wrote:Who'd look twice at the guy? Twisted Evil

The women who write to Death-Row prisoners with offers of marriage?
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri May 25, 2012 5:38 am

J'onn is not a murderer Evil or Very Mad
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Fri May 25, 2012 1:39 pm

We know, he's just misunderstood. You can change him, we know you can!
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri May 25, 2012 2:28 pm

Get lost, you cheeky bugger Razz
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri May 25, 2012 3:03 pm

Sam_Vimes wrote:We know, he's just misunderstood. You can change him, we know you can!
There are rumours of a secret marriage ceremony performed in a Texas penitentiary... Twisted Evil
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri May 25, 2012 6:37 pm

I hate you all.

Spoiler:
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon May 28, 2012 9:02 am

It seems likely now that Alan Scott is our mystery gay guy, which pretty much wraps up DC's quest to change every significant thing about the JSA and also sccessfully eliminates any last, lingering hopes that Jade and Obsidian might still exist. Terrific.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Mon May 28, 2012 10:07 am

Where'd you hear that?
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon May 28, 2012 10:10 am

Lucy McGough wrote:Where'd you hear that?
BleedingCool.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Wed May 30, 2012 3:38 am

Alan Scott? Really? Wow, they want a war, don't they?
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed May 30, 2012 7:57 am

Sam_Vimes wrote:Alan Scott? Really? Wow, they want a war, don't they?
Just so long as it's not World War II, apparently...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Thu May 31, 2012 2:00 am

Well, no, of course not! Heroes can't be OLD. They have to be young and sexy, like Amanda Waller. Otherwise the young kids of today can't even begin to relate.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu May 31, 2012 7:46 am

Sam_Vimes wrote:Well, no, of course not! Heroes can't be OLD. They have to be young and sexy, like Amanda Waller. Otherwise the young kids of today can't even begin to relate.
What about young fat kids? Who do they relate to. now that The Wall is a picket fence??
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu May 31, 2012 10:12 am

Um... the Penguin?
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu May 31, 2012 10:48 am

Lucy McGough wrote:Um... the Penguin?
Well, he's certainly a role model of sorts (or possibly a roll model). But do we really want hordes of bird fixated chubby kids trying to rob banks all over the place?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu May 31, 2012 12:17 pm

Make a change from the banks robbing us Razz
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:06 am

I absolutely would love it if hordes of bird fixated chubby kids were trying to rob banks all over the place. As Lucy notes, the banks deserve it, AND it would be hilarious.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:49 pm

Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:35 pm

Sam_Vimes wrote:In case any of you haven't seen it:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=38946
So-an unrecognizable Alan, and confirmation that Jade and Obsidian have been airbrushed out of history...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:03 pm

I'm sorry, mate Sad
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:35 am

The picture of Alan Scott's gay kiss made the front page of today's Daily Telegraph Shocked
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:57 am

Lucy McGough wrote:The picture of Alan Scott's gay kiss made the front page of today's Daily Telegraph Shocked
Bizarre. I wonder how many readers of the Telegraph know who the original Green Lantern is? I suspect the few that have heard of GL will think it's the guy from the movie...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:54 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:The picture of Alan Scott's gay kiss made the front page of today's Daily Telegraph Shocked

How bizarre that it's that big a deal. It's a big deal IN comic fandom, I can see that, but to "outsiders"? Why?
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down