[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 5

Asylum of the Daleks

Post by tony ingram on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:00 pm

Well, I'd say the new series got off to a good start-I think that was probably the best Dalek story since 'Dalek' in 2005! Sme genuinely touching moments (I really felt for Oswin, and I loved the Doctor manipulating Amy and Rory into realizing they still cared for each other, without it overwhelming the main plot; RTD, take note! Nice, too, to get an actual look into Dalek society, for once. Top marks, from me.

Last edited by tony ingram on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Asylum of the Daleks

Post by Lucy McGough on Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:09 pm

I agree.

Lucy McGough

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesShark on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:33 am

Not sure a Parliament makes much sense (a Senate, yes, but a Parliament?) but it let Moff get a poke at Iggle Piggle in so I'll forgive him.

I'd say certainly the best Dalek episode since 'Dalek' and did much to undo the horrific dead ends RTD steered them into. Plot holes the size of a special weapons dalek but nothings perfect.

'It would be...offensive to us to destroy such Divine Hatred'. Best Dalek line since Davros and the 'virus problem' way back when.

Last edited by BluesShark on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total

BluesShark

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:45 am

One thing that puzzles me: every Emperor Dalek we've ever seen lacks a gun, and the Prime Minister doesn't even have a casing. Why do the Daleks insist on their leaders being totally helpless?

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesShark on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:48 am

I prefer not to dwell on God Emperors. See my above comments about RTD and dead ends.

BluesShark

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesShark on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:53 am

Looking forward to next week, which I suspect has some roots in my favourite ever Pertwee era Dr comics appareance when he uses a herd of triceratops to trample a dalek army into very flat pepper-pots. Very Happy

(Though there is a worrying Harry Potter re-union quotient from the trailer...)

BluesShark

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy McGough on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:00 pm

BluesShark wrote:'It would be...offensive to us to destroy such Divine Hatred'. Best Dalek line since Davros and the 'virus problem' way back when.
What about "You would make a good Dalek"?

tony ingram wrote:One thing that puzzles me: every Emperor Dalek we've ever seen lacks a gun, and the Prime Minister doesn't even have a casing. Why do the Daleks insist on their leaders being totally helpless?
Best way for one's leaders to be. Stops them getting uppity.

BluesShark wrote:Looking forward to next week
Me too! Dinosaurs are wicked Very Happy

Lucy McGough

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesShark on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:18 pm

What about "You would make a good Dalek"?

Not a bad line but it does tend to ignore the fact that to dalek nothing would make a good dalek except another dalek, hence the difficulty they were in in 'Paradigm'.

Strangely, despite the fact i think 'Manhattan' is the nadir of RTD's run it does have an awesome dalek line

'You told us to imagine. We imagined your...irrelevance.'

BluesShark

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy McGough on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:18 pm

BluesShark wrote:What about "You would make a good Dalek"?

Not a bad line but it does tend to ignore the fact that to dalek nothing would make a good dalek except another dalek, hence the difficulty they were in in 'Paradigm'.
I think the implication is "You would make a good Dalek if only you had, y'know, actual Dalek DNA, instead of being one of those pesky Time Lords."

I like lines that make the Doctor take a long hard look at himself, which is why I liked yesterday's line about the Daleks thinking hatred is beautiful: "Perhaps that is why we have never been able to kill you."

Lucy McGough

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:38 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:
BluesShark wrote:What about "You would make a good Dalek"?

I think the implication is "You would make a good Dalek if only you had, y'know, actual Dalek DNA, instead of being one of those pesky Time Lords."

I like lines that make the Doctor take a long hard look at himself, which is why I liked yesterday's line about the Daleks thinking hatred is beautiful: "Perhaps that is why we have never been able to kill you."
Aww. They'll be sending him valentines, next. "To our Beautiful Bane, with all our Loathe". Twisted Evil

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy McGough on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:36 pm

They can't now, 'cos they don't know who he is.

Lucy McGough

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:07 am

I thought that was a cracking episode for the most part. On the downside, I thought the whole Amy/Rory relationship crisis felt very forced; perhaps a sign that, as much as I've loved them, it is time for them to go. Aside from that, though, this was a fine episode, full of great moments and laden with menace. Very enjoyable. A surprise to see Jenna Louise Coleman so soon (particularly given what happened to her!) but I like her already; fine actress and very, very cute. I have no complaints on that score. Wink

All in all, a great start to the season. While Moffat's Christmas specials may be even worse than RTDs (no mean feat for the most part) his season premieres are approximately a billion times better. Hope the rest of the season is of a similar quality. Though I'm not expecting miracles - next week is Chibnall, after all! affraid

codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:32 am

Chibnall worries me less than the prospect of two Mark Gatiss episodes in a single season...

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:05 am

Oh I don't know; it rather depennds if it's Night Terrors Gatiss (which I really like) or Victory Gatiss. Please God not the latter...

codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:28 am

Made a point of watching this as I like Daleks, but disappointed that the story isn't more than one episode. Still can't my head around the new 'fat' Daleks! It was still predicable in the 'love' thing going on/or not betwix the bird and her dummy boyfriend. (Yes, Lucy, I said 'bird'). I doubt I'll be watching more because it just isn't that good. Soz guys - good in parts but still only 3 out of 10!!

Last edited by GBF on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : literal)

GBF

http://www.glennbfleming.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:34 pm

I think the 'fat' Daleks were an experiment which didn't work out, but rather than admit that and just ditch them, they've relegated them to being the sometimes seen 'bosses' while the standard bronze ones continue to carry most of the storylines.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy McGough on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:28 pm

I reckon you're right. And what's wrong with saying "bird"?

Lucy McGough

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF on Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:39 pm

Lucy McGough - I love you. Most women I know hate being referred to as a 'bird'. Silly, really - that's what they are!!!

GBF

http://www.glennbfleming.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy McGough on Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:42 pm

Tweet Very Happy

Lucy McGough

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:01 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down