06: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 6: Science Fiction/TV Tie-in)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Favourite Science Fiction/TV Tie-in titles

27% 27% 
[ 3 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
45% 45% 
[ 5 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
9% 9% 
[ 1 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
18% 18% 
[ 2 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 11

06: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 6: Science Fiction/TV Tie-in)

Post by tony ingram on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:44 pm

Favourite science fiction or TV tie-in title? 2000AD for me, but this was a difficult one...

Last edited by tony ingram on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: 06: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 6: Science Fiction/TV Tie-in)

Post by Sandhopper on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:26 am

Predictably I suppose it has to be Doctor Who. But with the others I either haven't read enough of them (apart from some reprinted 'Who strips) or outright dislike them...

Sandhopper

Back to top Go down

Re: 06: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 6: Science Fiction/TV Tie-in)

Post by Hourglass on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:16 am

DWW and DWMonthley where great. I think they lost A LOT of creativity when they became DWM. The comic strips now are no where near as good as they used to be.
BRING BACK BEEP THE MEEP I SAY!

Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:30 am

Hourglass wrote:DWW and DWMonthley where great. I think they lost A LOT of creativity when they became DWM. The comic strips now are no where near as good as they used to be.
BRING BACK BEEP THE MEEP I SAY!
I second that most strongly. All hail our cute and cuddly intergalactic overlord!

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:33 am

Want me to try make a Beep the Meep smiley?

Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:39 am

Hourglass wrote:Want me to try make a Beep the Meep smiley?
Oh, definitely!

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:53 am

TV Century 21. The best British comic. Ever.

GBF

http://www.glennbfleming.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:55 am

...this is like one of those 'pop' polls. Oasis always get more votes that the Beatles because the 'young' people are polled and they've never heard of the Beatles. No Beatles- no Oasis.
So - no TV21, no 2000AD...

GBF

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:57 am

GBF wrote:...this is like one of those 'pop' polls. Oasis always get more votes that the Beatles because the 'young' people are polled and they've never heard of the Beatles. No Beatles- no Oasis.
So - no TV21, no 2000AD...
So vote!!!

Very Happy

Actually, I think 2000AD will do OK...

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:07 pm

...I did vote...

GBF

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:52 pm

GBF wrote:...I did vote...
Ah yes, took awhile to show up...

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by felneymike on Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:17 pm

Hmm, well i get 2000AD regularly because it's still going, but would i if there was more old titles still going?

I think it'll have to be Tornado - but for the non sci-fi Victor Drago, the Sexton Blake strip that never was! And it looks like it was actually the best drawn SB strip ever too!

felneymike

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:29 pm

felneymike wrote:Hmm, well i get 2000AD regularly because it's still going, but would i if there was more old titles still going?

I think it'll have to be Tornado - but for the non sci-fi Victor Drago, the Sexton Blake strip that never was! And it looks like it was actually the best drawn SB strip ever too!
If I recall correctly, they were going to call it Sexton Blake until quite late in the day. A great strip, I agree-and I also liked the Drago text stories.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

The vote

Post by Saintade on Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:43 am

TV21 - best ever - I will forever be grateful that I was at the right age when it came out. I just wish my mum hadn't thrown them all away in my teens; I'd had made a fortune on eBay! But I do have quite a few now. I had a complete run, as well as all of the TV21/Joe 90; all the TV21 new series, all the Countdowns and all the TV Actions. Great days for comic readers!
I'm pleased to see so many reprints available now in various forms - Classic Doctor Who comics; the Century 21 compilations and Crikey is a great place to wallow in nostalgia. Thanks guys!
By the way - shame we couldn't pick our top 10 in order - Countdown would have come a very close second, with Doctor Who third. I also had a guilty pleasure for Look-In, particularly the fantastic work of Mike Noble in Timeslip and Follyfoot.

Saintade

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:50 am

Noble did do some fantastic work on Look-In, as indeed did many of the other artists. A very underrated, often unfairly overlooked title.

And by the way-welcome aboard!

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Friel on Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:18 pm

It's a pity we couldn't vote 1-2-3-4, etc. There are so many good ones on here, I'd have liked to pick more than just one. My choices would be:

1-Countdown
2-TV21
3-Doctor Who Weekly/Monthly/Magazine
4-Star-Lord
5-2000AD
6-Thunderbirds
7-TV Comic
8-Look-In
9-Tornado

Countdown just pips it for me, although it was totally neck-and-neck with TV21 (pity I couldn't pick two in joint-first place). I was quite young when TV21 was in its prime (mid-late 1960's), and only really came to appreciate it at a later date (I've bought all the recent compilations - BEAUTIFUL!). But I was at the right age (11-12) when Countdown came out in the early 1970's, which is when I became an obsessive comics fan.

The more varied strips in Countdown are what just shade it for me. TV21, despite the gorgeous art and production values, was totally Gerry Anderson, which has its pluses and minuses. Some Anderson I love - UFO, Space:1999, Captain Scarlet, Fireball XL5. Some I like, but don't go overboard on - Thunderbirds, Stingray. And the rest I have absolutely no interest in at all - Joe 90, Terrahawks and all the really early Anderson stuff.

I always preferred Starlord to 2000AD (pity it didn't last very long), and after the merger with 2000AD, my favourite strips were those that had been in Starlord. I still like 2000AD, though, and I buy the various collections of Judge Dredd, Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog, Nemesis the Warlock and others on a regular basis.

I agree totally with the above comments re: Doctor Who Magazine. Although it is a very good magazine, the comics content is quite miserable these days at least quantity-wise if not quality-wise. It was much better back in the early "pre-Magazine" days, when you had two strips. I always preferred the back-up strip showcasing the Cybermen, Autons, Yeti, etc, to the main DW strip, although that was also pretty good.

A question: Why are comics like Tornado and Look-In included in this poll, when other comics with much more overt sci-fi content such as Vulcan, Valiant and Lion aren't?

Phil Friel

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:19 pm

Er...pass?Embarassed

I am in total agreement with you on Starlord, very definitely the superior title and I believe I heard it was actually outselling 2000AD at the time of the merger-it was supposedly cancelled purely because it was too expensive to produce, which is somewhat bizarre as they could surely have simply changed the format to the cheaper 2000AD model...
And yes, the Doctor Who backups were frequently the best thing in the mag. Remember 'Business as Usual'? Very Happy

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Friel on Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:11 pm

Ducking the question, eh? Smile

'Business as Usual' - ahhhhh, those were the days! Brilliant story! There were so many great DW back-up strips. I'll have to go through all my old DWMs someday and make a list of the best of them.

Phil Friel

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:38 pm

For me, the best would have to be Business as Usual and the Special Executive trilogy, with the Abslom Daak and Kroton the Cyberman stories and Warlord of the Ogrons not far behind.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:00 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top