Holidays.

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by Lucy McGough on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:11 pm

Thanks guys Sad

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2125
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:27 pm

tony ingram wrote:I think when one is over 25, one has ceased to be a youth in any meaningful sense of the word.
You can still be young at heart . . . or have a physical or mental condition that gives you the mind of an infant.

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by tony ingram on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:32 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I think when one is over 25, one has ceased to be a youth in any meaningful sense of the word.
You can still be young at heart . . . or have a physical or mental condition that gives you the mind of an infant.
That's what I like about you. Your innate optimism.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by Lucy McGough on Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:20 pm

Hopefully I'll be like Tony's honey brandy, and get better as I get older.

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2125
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:36 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Hopefully I'll be like Tony's honey brandy, and get better as I get older.
Is that female named Brandy or a flavored alcoholic beverage?  Question 

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by tony ingram on Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:43 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Hopefully I'll be like Tony's honey brandy
And be frequently drunk?

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:48 pm

karatattoo wrote:August 13th is International Left-Handers Day.

Support your right to be left-handed!!!
The 13th is also National Filet Mignon Day.

(So why am I having pasta for dinner tomorrow night?)

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:48 am

I see that Wednesday, August 27th happens to be Just Because Day.

Isn't that special?

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by tony ingram on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:50 am

MajorHoy wrote:I see that Wednesday, August 27th happens to be Just Because Day.

Isn't that special?
Not really, but I suppose that's the point.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by Lucy McGough on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:24 am

Who decides these things?

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2125
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:21 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Who decides these things?
Who knows?

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:30 pm

Happy Labor Day from over here in the U.S. (and that one is a Federal holiday in our country).

Oh, and "Labor Day" has nothing to do with


In case you want to know more, http://www.dol.gov/laborday/history.htm and the Wikipedia version is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_Day

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by tony ingram on Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:44 pm

I've always wondered what that one was all about...

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by Lucy McGough on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:53 pm

What are all those people smirking about?

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2125
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:15 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:What are all those people smirking about?
Maybe the fact that they're British or something? Wink

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by tony ingram on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:19 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:What are all those people smirking about?
Maybe the fact that they're British or something? Wink
As good a reason as any!

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:20 pm

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:What are all those people smirking about?
Maybe the fact that they're British or something? Wink
As good a reason as any!
But isn't it sort of creepy how they all look . . . homogeneous?

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by Mbast1 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:12 pm

tony ingram wrote:And be frequently drunk?

This made me think of the exchange between Arthur and Ford at the beginning of the Hitchhiker's Guide.

Mbast1

Posts : 1064
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by tony ingram on Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:16 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:And be frequently drunk?

This made me think of the exchange between Arthur and Ford at the beginning of the Hitchhiker's Guide.
"What's wrong with being drunk?" "Ask a glass of water". Heh. Razz

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by Mbast1 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:54 pm

tony ingram wrote:"What's wrong with being drunk?" "Ask a glass of water". Heh. Razz

I love HHGTTG. Read the books (Although I did bog down in Mostly Harmless and never read the "sequel" by Coulfer), watch the tv show, the movie and have the radio plays on tape. Douglas Adams was one of my favorite comic writers.

Mbast1

Posts : 1064
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by tony ingram on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:59 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:"What's wrong with being drunk?" "Ask a glass of water". Heh. Razz

I love HHGTTG. Read the books (Although I did bog down in Mostly Harmless and never read the "sequel" by Coulfer), watch the tv show, the movie and have the radio plays on tape. Douglas Adams was one of my favorite comic writers.
Never, ever read the Colfer book. I did, and it was several hours of my life I'll never get back. Got to admit, I didn't like the movie, but I love the TV and radio versions and, obviously, the books. Adams was a genius. A shame he died so young. Did you read the Dirk Gently books?

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:54 pm

Friday, September 5th is Be Late For Something Day.

(I guess I'm not celebrating it properly because I'm pointing this out ahead of time?)


It will also be Cheese Pizza Day.

pig -out! Twisted Evil

drunken

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by Mbast1 on Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:59 am

tony ingram wrote:Never, ever read the Colfer book. I did, and it was several hours of my life I'll never get back. Got to admit, I didn't like the movie, but I love the TV and radio versions and, obviously, the books. Adams was a genius. A shame he died so young. Did you read the Dirk Gently books?

I hadn't planned on reading it. I like his Artemis Fowl series, but I am just fine with Adams's work. I HAVE the Dirk Gently books, and have one on my chair to start reading, I just haven't had time.

Mbast1

Posts : 1064
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by tony ingram on Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:51 am

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Never, ever read the Colfer book. I did, and it was several hours of my life I'll never get back. Got to admit, I didn't like the movie, but I love the TV and radio versions and, obviously, the books. Adams was a genius. A shame he died so young. Did you read the Dirk Gently books?

I hadn't planned on reading it. I like his Artemis Fowl series, but I am just fine with Adams's work. I HAVE the Dirk Gently books, and have one on my chair to start reading, I just haven't had time.
The first one in particular is very, very funny, I think.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:44 am

MajorHoy wrote:Friday, September 5th is Be Late For Something Day.

(I guess I'm not celebrating it properly because I'm pointing this out ahead of time?)


It will also be Cheese Pizza Day.

pig -out!  Twisted Evil

drunken
Anybody else have cheese pizza on Friday?

(Is pizza at all popular in the U.K.?)

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by tony ingram on Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:37 am

MajorHoy wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:Friday, September 5th is Be Late For Something Day.

(I guess I'm not celebrating it properly because I'm pointing this out ahead of time?)


It will also be Cheese Pizza Day.

pig -out!  Twisted Evil

drunken
Anybody else have cheese pizza on Friday?

(Is pizza at all popular in the U.K.?)
We do have pizza in the UK. Even our little village has a Pizzeria (and an Indian takeaway). But we rarely indulge.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by Mbast1 on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:37 pm

tony ingram wrote:The first one in particular is very, very funny, I think.

It's Adams, how could it not be?

Mbast1

Posts : 1064
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:20 am

September 8th is International Literacy Day.

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by tony ingram on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:44 am

MajorHoy wrote:September 8th is International Literacy Day.
thats grate too no!Liretacy is impotrant. Very Happy

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:05 pm

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:September 8th is International Literacy Day.
thats grate too no!Liretacy is impotrant. Very Happy
You did check the link to see this one is a United Nations / UNESCO deal, not just a totally random made-up day?

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by tony ingram on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:52 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:September 8th is International Literacy Day.
thats grate too no!Liretacy is impotrant. Very Happy
You did check the link to see this one is a United Nations / UNESCO deal, not just a totally random made-up day?
I don't think any day is made up, is it? Except maybe Wednesday. Wednesday never seemed totally legit to me...

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:21 pm

Did you know October is "Adopt a Shelter Dog Month" here in the U.S.?
http://www.aspca.org/adopt/adopt-a-shelter-dog-month

I think the British Adopt a Dog month was maybe a few months before that.

As for me, I'd be more likely to celebrate "Adopt a Shelter Cat Month", which in the U.S. is in June.

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by tony ingram on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:24 pm

I wasn't even aware that we had such a thing. Though we have adopted quite a few dogs over the years. And cats. And rabbits. And Chinchillas. And Guinea pigs...

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:27 pm

Oh, and Monday, October 6th is National Noodle Day (http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/articles/view/272/1/National-Noodle-Day.html), while Tuesday the 7th is National Frappe Day (http://www.food.com/food-holidays/frappe-day-1007) and Wednesday the 8th is National Fluffer Nutter Day (http://www.food.com/food-holidays/fluffer-nutter-day-1008).

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by tony ingram on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:28 pm

MajorHoy wrote:Oh, and Monday, October 6th is National Noodle Day (http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/articles/view/272/1/National-Noodle-Day.html), while Tuesday the 7th is National Frappe Day (http://www.food.com/food-holidays/frappe-day-1007) and Wednesday the 8th is National Fluffer Nutter Day (http://www.food.com/food-holidays/fluffer-nutter-day-1008).
Er...well, I know what noodles are...

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:36 pm

tony ingram wrote:I wasn't even aware that we had such a thing. Though we have adopted quite a few dogs over the years. And cats. And rabbits. And Chinchillas. And Guinea pigs...
We seem to take in stray cats with my family. When I was very young, we took in a stray long-hair cat my middle sister named "Wander", and the cat that was considered mine was one of the cats from her first litter.

When our oldest cat died (who we believe was my cat's father), we eventually wound up with another cat that my sister brought home after spending the summer as a camp counselor, another stray that was eventually named "Sam". (Sam was about 16-and-a-half when we finally had to have him put down, but he had been diabetic and on insulin for eight of those years; was taking medication for a heart problem; and what finally did him in was kidney problems.)

Now we have Tas, who adopted us. Plus, there's Tabby, the tabby cat that hangs around frequently and we feed. (And Tas does NOT like Tabby, though Tabby seems to want to play with Tas if they're outside in the yard at the same time.)

Never had any dogs in our family.

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:41 pm

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:Oh, and Monday, October 6th is National Noodle Day (http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/articles/view/272/1/National-Noodle-Day.html), while Tuesday the 7th is National Frappe Day (http://www.food.com/food-holidays/frappe-day-1007) and Wednesday the 8th is National Fluffer Nutter Day (http://www.food.com/food-holidays/fluffer-nutter-day-1008).
Er...well, I know what noodles are...
Frappe is generally a coffee drink, though in the New England area they often use the term in place of "milkshake".

Fluffer Nutter is made with a whipped marshmallow topping and peanut butter. (I've never had one of those, though, and never intend to.)


MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by tony ingram on Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:18 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I wasn't even aware that we had such a thing. Though we have adopted quite a few dogs over the years. And cats. And rabbits. And Chinchillas. And Guinea pigs...
We seem to take in stray cats with my family.  When I was very young, we took in a stray long-hair cat my middle sister named "Wander", and the cat that was considered mine was one of the cats from her first litter.

When our oldest cat died (who we believe was my cat's father), we eventually wound up with another cat that my sister brought home after spending the summer as a camp counselor, another stray that was eventually named "Sam". (Sam was about 16-and-a-half when we finally had to have him put down, but he had been diabetic and on insulin for eight of those years; was taking medication for a heart problem; and what finally did him in was kidney problems.)

Now we have Tas, who adopted us. Plus, there's Tabby, the tabby cat that hangs around frequently and we feed. (And Tas does NOT like Tabby, though Tabby seems to want to play with Tas if they're outside in the yard at the same time.)

Never had any dogs in our family.
We currently have three cats-Treacle Tart, Custard and Molly-and a dog, Reggie. The only one we bought was Reggie, one of a litter born two streets away, after our old Yorkshire terrier, Pepper, passed away. Treacle was given to us by a family in the village as a kitten: they didn't want to part with her, but she was being bullied by their other cats. Custard, also a kitten at the time, was pretty much forced on us by a former workmate of Deb's, who was emigrating to America and couldn't take him (Pepper, who was then already 11 years old, came from the same place). And Molly, we found living in an empty house in the next street after her previous owners sold up and moved away without her. She's a beautiful animal with a lovely temperament, though she occasionally seems to have small fits. We have no idea how old she is.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:11 am

Thursday, October 9th is National Moldy Cheese Day.

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:09 am

Monday is Columbus Day here in the US . . . the day we celebrate an Italian guy sailing under a Spanish flag who didn't really discover our country. (I guess maybe it's a celebration of a guy not stopping and asking for directions?)

Also on Monday, Canada celebrates Thanksgiving. (I guess they're thankful they didn't buy into that whole Columbus-discovering-North-America bit?)

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:44 pm

January 21st appears to be National Squirrel Appreciation Day
From penguins to squirrels . . . we appreciate them all here in the USA! What a Face



http://blog.nwf.org/2011/01/7-ways-to-celebrate-national-squirrel-appreciation-day/

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by Lucy McGough on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:36 pm

In the UK we do NOT appreciate American squirrels.

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2125
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:10 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:In the UK we do NOT appreciate American squirrels.


He was a naughty one!

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by Lucy McGough on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:43 pm

But at least he was British.

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2125
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:23 am

Thursday January 22nd is apparently National Answer Your Cat's Questions Day here. (Honest!)

http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/cat-behavior-care-tips-national-answer-your-cats-questions-day

My cat (picture is from a couple of years ago):



MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by Lucy McGough on Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:52 am

What's its name?

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2125
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:31 am

Lucy McGough wrote:What's its name?
Tas.

Originally it was Taz (as in the Tasmanian Devil from the cartoons) when I thought she might be a he, but when we determined she had been female, I changed it to an "s" (and made it short for Tasmia).

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by Lucy McGough on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:48 am

What's a Tasmia?

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2125
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:25 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:What's a Tasmia?

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy on Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:06 am

Hope everybody had Ice Cream for Breakfast this Saturday morning!

http://www.icecreamforbreakfastday.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Cream_for_Breakfast_Day


MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Holidays.

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:59 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum