[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
25% 25% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 4

The Snowmen

Post by tony ingram on Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:23 pm

Interesting. This was a reasonable enough episode, I felt, but it was clearly setting the scene for things to come (who or what is Clara Oswin Oswald?) as well as finally providing some sort of origin for the Great Intelligence (I liked the fact that it's clearly been so long for the Doctor that he doesn't actually remember meeting it before, and unwittingly gives it a pointer towards its future plans). Some nicely comedic touches too (I'm starting to like Strax) but what the Hell was all that stuff about a family crying on Christmas Day melting the snow? Steven, have you been at the sherry again?

Last edited by tony ingram on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: The Snowmen

Post by Lucy McGough on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:37 am

tony ingram wrote:Interesting. This was a reasonable enough episode, I felt, but it was clearly setting the scene for things to come (who or what is Clara Oswin Oswald?)

Maybe she's Susan, which raises the question: would the Doctor remember who Susan is?

tony ingram wrote: as well as finally providing some sort of origin for the Great Intelligence (I liked the fact that it's clearly been so long for the Doctor that he doesn't actually remember meeting it before, and unwittingly gives it a pointer towards its future plans).

He's going to be WELL annoyed with himself when he remembers Very Happy

tony ingram wrote:what the Hell was all that stuff about a family crying on Christmas Day melting the snow? Steven, have you been at the sherry again?

It probably just means that when enough people grieve then the snow grieves too, and when snow grieves it melts.

That family didn't have a lot of luck with governesses, did it?

Lucy McGough

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:26 pm

I thought it was utter, utter excrement.
Seriously, I think I might be done with New Who. I juat find it painful to watch now, boring and embarrassing in equal measure. Hated 7a, hated this and nothing I've heard about 7b makes me think it'll be anything but more of the same.

Time to call it a day, I reckon.

codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:25 am

If it isn't working for you, I guess you might be right. This is actually the first totally negative response to the episode I've seen so far on the half dozen or so Who forums I still visit (I have no idea how it went down on Gallifrey Base).

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:15 am

Oh, there were plenty of people who feel the same on GB, don't you worry. Wink

codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:16 am

Why does that not surprise me...

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:18 am

I have to say, the mystery this Oswin bird presents has got me champing at the bit for more. I don't think I've ever awaited a season premiere more anxiously, and if you knew how anxiously I've awaited some premieres you'd. . .um. . .find that impressive? I guess?

Seriously, though, great episode. I liked how Mr. Moffat kinda-sorta tied Doctor Who into Sherlock, and the new companion's a more than suitable replacement for Rory and Amy, which is something I NEVER thought I'd say.

Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:38 am

I thought I was the only one who liked Rory and Amy! They seemed to get a lot of flack on some boards...

Oswin is definitely a more than adequate replacement though. Just so long as she doesn't turn out to be yet another incarnation of River Song.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:00 am

There are people who don't like Rory and Amy? My word. Good thing I've never talked about Doctor Who outside of this particular board. I'd probably get called lots of names or something.

And yeah, making Oswin into River was the first thing my wife thought they might be up to, but let's hope that's not the case because that's AWFUL. I'm thinking something like the Omega Sanction, myself.

Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:17 am

Funny you should mention the word "Omega". We've still had no explanation for the Omega symbols that cropped up last year during the Silence arc. I wonder...

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:51 am

According to the final BARB ratings, The Snowmen got 9.87 million viewers (not including iplayer or those who watched the BBC3 repeat), but only 5.75 million watched it live; the other 4.12 million recorded it. That makes this episode the UK's most recorded TV show ever, a record previously held by...Doctor Who (The Impossible Astronaut, to be exact). Interesting...

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesShark on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:53 am

That was almost guaranted by the bizarre decicion to show it at 5.30 when a lot of people wre still at the dinner table or certainly not in a state to sit and watch TV.

BluesShark

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:01 am

I think it was forced into that timeslot by the running times of the later output on BBC1, none of which could realistically have been put on earlier. The BBC have evidently figured out that the final figures for Who will always be between 7 and 9 million regardless of what time it's shown.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesShark on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:40 am

Pretty sure Strictly could have been screened earlier.

But no matter. I got to watch it twice over a couple of days and it got better on the second viewing, which is unique for ANY of the Christmas Specials, a lot of which have been utter dogs.

BluesShark

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:49 am

Agreed. The only Christmas Special I'd really enjoyed until this one was A Christmas Carol. This one, though, was not only a good story, it also actually felt like part of the series proper rather than just a piece of standalone festive fluff!

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesShark on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:54 am

Not re-watched Christmas Carol. My wife hates Catherine Jenkins so it was never going to be big in the Shark Tank.

BluesShark

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:57 am

Aww, how can anyone hate Katherine Jenkins? She's so sweet she could probably kill a diabetic at 500 paces.

Come to think of it, that may well be the problem... Laughing

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:42 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top