Strip, the Monthly Adventure Comics Magazine

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Strip, the Monthly Adventure Comics Magazine

Post by tony ingram on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:01 am

The first issue of Strip, "the Monthly Adventure Comics Magazine", hit the shelves in newsagents around the UK on Friday, marking the start of a bold new attempt to reinvigorate the high street comics market. Published by Print Media, it had a trial run of seven issues last year with extremely limited circulation, but this full scale roll-out is still a big gamble and I for one am hoping they pull it off. Judging by the first issue, it looks promising, with John Freeman's reinvention of the classic 70s superhero King Cobra being the high point for me in a generally enjoyable mixed bag. If you get a chance, check it out!

Last edited by tony ingram on Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Strip, the Monthly Adventure Comics Magazine

Post by ramonschenk on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:15 am

Did anyone else read the first issue(s)? I was not able to find it, and was wondering if it is worth seeking out back issues through eBay and such?

ramonschenk

http://www.comics.org

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:38 am

The first issue was certainly worth reading. BUT: issue two, due two or three weeks ago, has yet to appear so far.  Distribution problems, I gather.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ramonschenk on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:04 am

Too bad. Seems like distribution remains a problem in the UK?

You'd think, with all the newsagents, there wouldn't be much of a problem. But even a widely distributed mag such as Commando is not easily found. I visit the UK every 4-6 weeks and almost every time I have to ask the clerk at the local WH Smith's where they put this month's issues! I sometimes have to visit more than one shop to find all the issues, as they only get a handful and won't order more copies!

It really is a miracle the title manages to survive at all!

ramonschenk

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:18 am

Commando actually sells surprisingly well, as I understand it-the figures have been pretty consistent for years and sales of the print version actually rose when they offered a digital version (!)
The problem for many comics, though, is that newsagents just don't seem interested in stocking them. That's why newsstand distribution died out in the USA about twenty years ago and gave way to the direct market, and the same thing has been happening here for a long time. Comics just don't generate enough sales for newsagents to allocate much display space to them at the expense of other magazines.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ramonschenk on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:30 am

Thanks for the response, Tony.

And yet the UK newsagents seem to have plenty of room for an endless stream of bland 0-8 year-olds mags! Every cartoon or toy franchise gets its own magazine, pushing aside staples such as 2000AD and Commando.

This might be a localized problem, of course, or specific to Newcastle's WH Smith branches, but I've had similar problems when visiting other cities such as Hull, York, Bristol, Cardiff and so on...

ramonschenk

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:26 pm

It's not localised. Those licensed titles are an obvious draw to the parents who just want something to shut the little'uns up for a bit, and most of the time what they're actually buying is a cover mounted toy with a comic attached: the comic itself is purely incidental. WH Smith in Ipswich stocks 2000AD, CLiNT and the Megazine at the very back of the bottom shelf in the 'cult' section, where you can't see any of them without getting down on your knees and basically sticking your head under the shelf; the visible part of the display is mostly reserved for TV and film related stuff and Panini and Titan reprints of Marvel and DC.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:29 am

I wish America had these anthology comics. You know, aside from Archie.

Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:42 am

Sam_Vimes wrote:I wish America had these anthology comics. You know, aside from Archie.
I still don't really understand why America seems resistant to them. Someone on another forum the other day was talking about the old Action Comics Weekly experiment and saying he would resent having to pay for stories he wasn't interested in just to read about one or two characters he liked. That, to me, entirely misses the point!

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ramonschenk on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:02 am

Thnk it is a sign of the times. Here is Holland we used to have weekly or bi-weekly series of anthologies with all the good stuff. Some years ago, after 15 years without such a "magazine", a new one came out. It is still around, but struggles to find an audience.

I for one just can't get "back" into weekly installments of two or three pages in an ongoing story. Perhaps it is my memory that is failing me. Sad

ramonschenk

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:20 am

I would have thought weekly installments were easier to remember. I still tend to see weekly as the natural frequency for a comic and anthology as the natural format, probably because it's what I grew up with.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ramonschenk on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:53 am

Dutch magazines were mostly twice-monthly (I just realized that "bi-weekly" is an ambiguous term) or monthly. The new mag is monthly, and I just can't get into the strips. When they are collected in an album I like them just fine, but not in chunks.

I think it also takes a really good writer to write 3-page installments of a 48-page story well. Something which British writers have a lot more (recent) experience with, of course.

ramonschenk

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:03 am

It all comes down towhat you're used to, I suppose. For me, the advantage of a weekly serial format is that you're never more than a week away from the next installment, and of course the anthology format gives variety, particularly when (as in many British weeklies) the majority of strips are rotated in and out and intervals with just the 'lead' strip being a constant.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MLP* on Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:51 pm

Spotted volume 2 issue 2 in Smiths today so it's finally out there...

MLP*

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:46 pm

By the way, did this succeed at all? The GCD only lists the initial run from 2011 - 2012 and doesn't seem to have the later attempt.

http://www.comics.org/series/61980/covers/

MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by ramonschenk on Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:21 pm

If there are more issues than #1-5/6, please let me know and I'll add all details to the GCD listing.

ramonschenk

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy on Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:44 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Sam_Vimes wrote:I wish America had these anthology comics. You know, aside from Archie.
I still don't really understand why America seems resistant to them. Someone on another forum the other day was talking about the old Action Comics Weekly experiment and saying he would resent having to pay for stories he wasn't interested in just to read about one or two characters he liked. That, to me, entirely misses the point!
The problem with the anthology series is that sometimes a reader may have limited areas of interest, focusing on specific characters or writers or artists. If they have to pay $3.99 or more for a comic book that only has maybe five-to-eight pages of material they really want, they may not find that expenditure to be worth it. And, yes, sampling other characters / genres / writers / artists may seem worthwhile, but if a reader doesn't see a payoff after an issue or two, they'll choose to invest their money elsewhere (or see if they can find the parts they want for free on the internet).

MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:13 pm

That's never really been a problem over here. Anthologies are the traditionally accepted format in Britain-we really don't do single character titles as a rule.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:32 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top