The Night of the Doctor

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rate The Night of the Doctor

100% 100% 
[ 4 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
 
Total Votes : 4

The Night of the Doctor

Post by tony ingram on Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:12 pm

The Night of the Doctor, the prequel 'minisode' to Doctor Who's 50th anniversary special, is now available on BBC iplayer, and...it's great. It's got
Spoiler:
the Sisterhood of Karn. It's got references to the Big Finish audio companions. It's got John Hurt. Oh, and it's got Paul McGann!
Whatever happens in the special itself, to me, Steven Moffat has now been vindicated by these seven minutes. cheers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01lhhv4/Doctor_Who_Mini_Episode_The_Night_of_the_Doctor/


Last edited by tony ingram on Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5734
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by Sam_Vimes on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:24 am

Loved it. I'd say more, but I don't know how to do that fancy spoiler thing.

Sam_Vimes

Posts : 414
Join date : 2012-02-23
Age : 30
Location : Utah

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by tony ingram on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:08 pm

Sam_Vimes wrote:Loved it. I'd say more, but I don't know how to do that fancy spoiler thing.
You type [ then spoiler then ]. And to close it, [ then / then spoiler then ].

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5734
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by Sam_Vimes on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:15 pm

Oh, okay, well then what I liked the best was that
Spoiler:
8 finally got a regeneration scene. It never seemed right that he didn't have one. And after watching this it seemed even LESS right that he didn't have more than that one-off pilot movie thing as The Doctor. He seems so good at it.

Sam_Vimes

Posts : 414
Join date : 2012-02-23
Age : 30
Location : Utah

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by tony ingram on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:34 pm

I couldn't agree more. Though
Spoiler:
he has appeared as the Doctor in over 70 audio adventures, and been brilliant in all of them
.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5734
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by Sam_Vimes on Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:10 pm

I keep meaning to check those out, but then I forget they exist.

Sam_Vimes

Posts : 414
Join date : 2012-02-23
Age : 30
Location : Utah

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by Mbast1 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:56 pm

Sam_Vimes wrote:I keep meaning to check those out, but then I forget they exist.
I have one, but I want them all. I tried to collect all of his novels, but I wound up needing money during school and had to sell off all my books, and they're really hard to find now. I would love to have them all, audio and books. Maybe some day.
Spoiler:
Even more than the 2005 series, that 1996 movie (flawed though I now know it to be) was my first really enjoyable watch of Doctor Who. I had tried before, just couldn't get into it. This movie, though, worked for me, and McGann was amazing. I also wish he'd had more time.

As to the minisode, I LOVED it. I was so happy at seeing him again, though, a bit sad later on. I am glad we got to see what happened,  but I think he did the 50th a bit of a disservice by revealing the Hurt character like that.
.

Mbast1

Posts : 1083
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by Sam_Vimes on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:59 pm

Spoiler:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/11/17/a-petition-to-moffat-and-mcgann-to-make-an-eighth-doctor-series/

Sam_Vimes

Posts : 414
Join date : 2012-02-23
Age : 30
Location : Utah

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by Mbast1 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:40 am

Sam_Vimes wrote:
Spoiler:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/11/17/a-petition-to-moffat-and-mcgann-to-make-an-eighth-doctor-series/
Dear god, yes. I have wanted that since 1996. Somewhere I have the VHS tape of that movie, even though I also now own it on DVD. Please! (Yes, I do know it won't happen, but I want it to...)

Mbast1

Posts : 1083
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by Sam_Vimes on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:19 am

The world has never been kind enough to make something this good happen.

Sam_Vimes

Posts : 414
Join date : 2012-02-23
Age : 30
Location : Utah

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by tony ingram on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:31 am

Absolutely brilliant! I suspect the BBC were not really expecting the level of excitement those few minutes would provoke. Six minutes that melted the internet.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5734
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by Mbast1 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:12 pm

tony ingram wrote:Absolutely brilliant! I suspect the BBC were not really expecting the level of excitement those few minutes would provoke.  Six minutes that melted the internet.
I have rewatched it a number of times. It's just a superb piece of storytelling. I am now really upset about not having gotten those books, because already their prices have jumped. The level of excitement generated from this is due to the care and quality involved, and it's bleeding into everything. I am SO jazzed for the 50th.

Mbast1

Posts : 1083
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by tony ingram on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:25 pm

I fully expect Big Finish to get a massive sales boost from this, too. In fact, I think they've already launched a sale to try to capitalize on it!

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5734
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by Mbast1 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:08 pm

tony ingram wrote:In fact, I think they've already launched a sale to try to capitalize on it!
I will be taking advantage of it, too!

Mbast1

Posts : 1083
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by tony ingram on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:15 am

The online petition at change.org to get Moffat and McGann to make more eighth Doctor episodes now has 10, 852 signatories. That's over three thousand more than last night. Incredible.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5734
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by Mbast1 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:40 pm

tony ingram wrote:The online petition at change.org to get Moffat and McGann to make more eighth Doctor episodes now has 10, 852 signatories. That's over three thousand more than last night. Incredible.
If I thought petitions had a chance, I'd sign. That said, I DID buy some Big Finish mp3s, including:

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/quickinfo/the-light-at-the-end-standard-edition-861

and the first 3 Eighth Doctor adventures.

So, I'll be listening to those asap. If they're good, and I'm sure they will be, I'll be getting more.

Mbast1

Posts : 1083
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by tony ingram on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:50 pm

You really need to listen to The Chimes of Midnight. In fact, everybody needs to listen to The Chimes of Midnight...

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5734
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by Mbast1 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:58 pm

tony ingram wrote:You really need to listen to The Chimes of Midnight.
On your recommendation, I just bought it. I'll start with that, I think. So, I'll let you know how it goes pretty soon.

Mbast1

Posts : 1083
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by Sam_Vimes on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:29 am

I suppose I will ALSO join this little book-on-tape club and listen to The Chimes of Midnight.

Sam_Vimes

Posts : 414
Join date : 2012-02-23
Age : 30
Location : Utah

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by tony ingram on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:20 am

Sam_Vimes wrote:I suppose I will ALSO join this little book-on-tape club and listen to The Chimes of Midnight.
To correct a common misapprehension: not "books on tape". While some places admittedly classify the BF stuff as "audiobooks" for convenience, they aren't; the majority of them are original full cast audio dramas like the tradiitional radio plays which were popular before TV took hold (and which are still quite popular, here; many of the BF range have been broadcast on BBC Radio). No books were involved at any stage.


Last edited by tony ingram on Thu May 29, 2014 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5734
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by Sam_Vimes on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:57 am

tony ingram wrote:
Sam_Vimes wrote:I suppose I will ALSO join this little book-on-tape club and listen to The Chimes of Midnight.
To correct a common misapprehension: not "books on tape". While some places admittedly classify the BF stuff as "audiobooks" for convenience, they aren't; the majority of them are original full cast audio dramas like the tradiitional radio plays which were popular before TV took hold (and which are still quite popular, here; many of the BF range have been broadcast on BBC Radio). No books were involved at any stage.  
Wait...so, the audiobooks AREN'T books? Why would they lie to me like that, Tony? WHY?!?!

Sam_Vimes

Posts : 414
Join date : 2012-02-23
Age : 30
Location : Utah

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by tony ingram on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:04 pm

Sam_Vimes wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
Sam_Vimes wrote:I suppose I will ALSO join this little book-on-tape club and listen to The Chimes of Midnight.
To correct a common misapprehension: not "books on tape". While some places admittedly classify the BF stuff as "audiobooks" for convenience, they aren't; the majoritry of them are original full cast audio dramas like the tradiitional radio plays which were popular before TV took hold (and which are still quite popular, here; many of the BF range have been broadcast on BBC Radio). No books were involved at any stage.  
Wait...so, the audiobooks AREN'T books? Why would they lie to me like that, Tony? WHY?!?!
They hate you. They always have. It's part of a long term plan to humiliate you. Sorry.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5734
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by Mbast1 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:08 pm

tony ingram wrote:the majoritry of them are original full cast audio dramas like the tradiitional radio plays which were popular before TV took hold (and which are still quite popular, here; many of the BF range have been broadcast on BBC Radio). No books were involved at any stage.  
I love those old radio shows. I was listening to The Great Gildersleeve this morning (I couldn't get the Doctor Who set up to work right, something I'll fix tonight) on the way to work. I used to have a BBC production (cassettes) of the 3rd season of Black Adder. I'd love to have some of the others I've read about.
(I like May to December, and that was supposed to have been redone as radio shows, and some other shows I've liked. Too bad the BBC hasn't gotten around to selling those over here.)

I DID listen to a few minutes of the Doctor Who when I first downloaded them (I got the one you recommended, the 50th anniversary set, and 1.1-1.3 of the 8th Doctor's series) and they definitely are full cast audio plays. Really nice.

Mbast1

Posts : 1083
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by Sam_Vimes on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:16 am

How do they do the action stuff? Like, is the dialogue all expository, or is there a narrator or what?

Sam_Vimes

Posts : 414
Join date : 2012-02-23
Age : 30
Location : Utah

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by tony ingram on Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:04 am

Sam_Vimes wrote:How do they do the action stuff? Like, is the dialogue all expository, or is there a narrator or what?
No narrator. The action is gotten across by dialogue and sound effects.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5734
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Night of the Doctor

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:09 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum