[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 4

The Day of the Doctor

Post by tony ingram on Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:56 pm

Well, the 50th Anniversary episode has been and gone. What did everyone think? I just can't get over the fact that
Spoiler:
Tom
was in it! Beautiful scene, the perfect ending...Very Happy

Last edited by tony ingram on Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: The Day of the Doctor

Post by Mbast1 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:46 am

I'm going to put everything but this inside the spoiler hypermarks, just in case:

Spoiler:
I LOVED IT. I love the fact that the Doctor is NOT a mass murderer, that I got to see Tennant as the Doctor again, and that it was just so much fun. I was hoping for more of the older Doctors, but YES to the Tom Baker scene! Overall, just so very fun! Worth waiting for, avoiding online spoilers, and seeing in a theater. I can't wait for the Bluray, so I can watch all the extras!

Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:51 am

Mbast1 wrote:I'm going to put everything but this inside the spoiler hypermarks, just in case:

Spoiler:
I LOVED IT. I love the fact that the Doctor is NOT a mass murderer, that I got to see Tennant as the Doctor again, and that it was just so much fun. I was hoping for more of the older Doctors, but YES to the Tom Baker scene! Overall, just so very fun! Worth waiting for, avoiding online spoilers, and seeing in a theater. I can't wait for the Bluray, so I can watch all the extras!
Did you see 'The Five-ish Doctors' as well, or did only we get that? I'm glad the classic Doctors got into the anniversary somehow...

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:59 pm

tony ingram wrote:Did you see 'The Five-ish Doctors' as well, or did only we get that? I'm glad the classic Doctors got into the anniversary somehow...
There was a special at the end with Colin Baker doing some overview of the special. I don't know if that's what it was, but it was more about the filming of the anniversary. I ordered the special Bluray, I am hoping a lot of the special material will be on it. Otherwise I will have to find it all.
I just enjoyed that show so much. Looking forward to more Doctor Who, but not the regeneration. Although, I thought
Spoiler:
including a glimpse of Capaldi's Doctor was so much fun

Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:06 pm

No, The Five-ish Doctors was a half hour spoof written and directed by Peter Davison and starring Peter, Colin, Sylvester and Paul McGann (along with, among others, Peter Jackson, Sir Ian McKellan and John Barrowman) which ran on the BBC's Red Button service after the after show party had finished on BBC3. It was basically about the former Doctors trying to sneak into the anniversary episode, and it was hilarious!

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:11 pm

tony ingram wrote:No, The Five-ish Doctors was a half hour spoof
Then, no, I didn't. Sounds like I need to find it asap! Thanks.

Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:55 am

You really do. It's worth it just for the Colin/Sylv double act!

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes on Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:57 am

Finally just saw it. More than lived up to the hype.

Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:24 am

It seems to have gone down well. Overnight viewing figures of 10.2 million in the UK (final figures will be available on Monday or Tuesday), record viewing figures for BBC America and over half a million people worldwide went to see it on the big screen. Incredible.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:42 am

tony ingram wrote: over half a million people worldwide went to see it on the big screen. Incredible.
The theater where I saw it was sold out. I'm glad I got tickets when I did.
My ONLY issue is that it really didn't resolve anything from "Name of the Doctor", but I would think that will be in "Time of the Doctor". We'll see.

Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:15 am

It resolved the question of what the Doctor's part in the Time War was, and also cleared the way for the Time Lords to return, effectively wrapping up an eight year old sub-plot. And I believe it's setting us up for the resolution of the regeneration limit problem at Christmas. They've already said that's also when we'll find out why the TARDIS blew up Etc.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:36 pm

tony ingram wrote:It resolved the question of what the Doctor's part in the Time War was, and also cleared the way for the Time Lords to return, effectively wrapping up an eight year old sub-plot. And I believe it's setting us up for the resolution of the regeneration limit problem at Christmas. They've already said that's also when we'll find out why the TARDIS blew up Etc.
I guess I didn't pay attention to the situation as well as I should have. I expected a direct continuation of the Great Intelligence storyline, and that didn't happen. I shouldn't have expected that, since the anniversary was likely to have been seen by a lot of people who weren't watching regularly.
Still, as I said, I LOVED this episode.

Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:01 am

The Intelligence storyline was effectively wrapped up by Clara's actions in the Doctor's timestream, which set up the introduction of the John Hurt incarnation. The Day of the Doctor was basically his story. I doubt if there's anything more to tell about the Intelligence, as it was basically stated that his trip into the Doctor's timestream was one-way only; he was pretty much committing suicide in a futile attempt to destroy his enemy.

Final UK viewing figures for The Day of the Doctor have now been announced. 12.8 million, not including (obviously) those who watched it out in pubs and clubs or at the cinema. That's the highest figure since Christmas Day 2008's The Next Doctor. It was also viewed 2.7 million times on BBC iplayer.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:20 pm

tony ingram wrote:I doubt if there's anything more to tell about the Intelligence, as it was basically stated that his trip into the Doctor's timestream was one-way only; he was pretty much committing suicide in a futile attempt to destroy his enemy.
So "I'm going to kill and defeat you in all the places of your life I can" was resolved with "Nuh uh"?

I was expecting more on that. I don't know why.

Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:22 pm

It could probably have done with another episode.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:38 pm

tony ingram wrote:It could probably have done with another episode.
I really wasn't trying to be argumentative. If it's done with that storyline, it's done. I don't really know why I expected more, if Clara's sacrifice was the entire answer, that's ok. I'm liking her as a companion.

On the note of companions, there is some fan hope for the girl from the 50th who wore the 4th Doctor's scarf (or thereabouts) to be back as a companion. I think that could be fun. Any thoughts?

Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:55 am

I think I'd rather have Osgood and Kate (and the rest of UNIT) as recurring regulars as their predecessors were in the 70s ("or 80s, depending on the dating classification being used"). She was obviously intended to be a descendant of the first technician Osgood, from The Daemons, and I like the idea of UNIT being something of a 'family business'. I wonder if there are any Bentons on the payroll these days...

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Thu May 29, 2014 12:43 pm

The Day of the Doctor has just been voted the all-time greatest Doctor Who story in DWM's big readers poll (the first one they've done since 2009). Matt Smith, however, lost out in the favourite Doctor category to Tom Baker (Matt came second). Some (but not all) of the results are here: http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-top-stories-doctors-according-to-dwm-2014-63506.htm

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by karatattoo on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:48 pm

I loved the Day of the Doctor. Seeing all of the Doctors during the climactic battle to save Gallifrey was thrilling and having Tom Baker actually appear, in addition to archival footage, was the icing on the cake.

I loved The Five(ish) Doctors as well. Here in the U.S. we didn't get it on TV. I watched it the BBC website.

Will The Five(ish) Doctors get a DVD release?

karatattoo

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:13 pm

It's recently been announced that it will, but they haven't said where. Looks like it might be as part of a box set.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy McGough on Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:18 pm

karatattoo wrote:I loved the Day of the Doctor. Seeing all of the Doctors during the climactic battle to save Gallifrey was thrilling and having Tom Baker actually appear, in addition to archival footage, was the icing on the cake.

Yes — a real 'punch the air' moment Very Happy

Tom Baker rules!

Lucy McGough

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:37 am

Tom's cameo was one of the highlights of the 50th. Right up there with McGann's reappearance.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:32 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top