Kingsman/Secret Service

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kingsman/Secret Service

Post by Mbast1 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:17 pm

I don't know if anyone has read Mark Millar's Secret Service mini-series (The movie is called Kingsman, I think). I read most of it (skimmed parts, boring) and thought it was interesting, but only in terms of structure. It was predictable, but because it used a very classic structure.
Spoiler:
There was a kid who lived in a pretty poor part of town, portrayed as a loser (I think the word is Chav). He has an uncle who is a secret agent, who keeps bailing him out. Finally the uncle decides he sees enough potential to give the kid a chance at something more, brings him into the service. The kid screws up and quits, but is given another chance. He succeeds wildly. Then the uncle who is training him is killed on the mission, and the kid has to replace him. The actual mission is almost irrelevant.
I just thought it was interesting, in part because I didn't think Millar would use such a classic structure, and in part because the movie trailer looked awful.
Anyone else have any thoughts?

Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Re: Kingsman/Secret Service

Post by tony ingram on Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:28 am

I read parts of it when it was serialised in CLiNT, but I cant say I was impressed. Then again, I'm rarely impressed by anything Millar produces. Actually, "rarely" probably isn't the right word. I think I meant "never".

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:03 pm

tony ingram wrote:I read parts of it when it was serialised in CLiNT, but I cant say I was impressed. Then again, I'm rarely impressed by anything Millar produces. Actually, "rarely" probably isn't the right word. I think I meant "never".

I like some of Millar's work (Wanted was good, and his run on Swamp Thing was fun) but I'm not a huge fan. I wasn't impressed, I just thought it was interesting that he'd use so clearly classical a structure to the story-telling.

Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:13 am

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I read parts of it when it was serialised in CLiNT, but I cant say I was impressed. Then again, I'm rarely impressed by anything Millar produces. Actually, "rarely" probably isn't the right word. I think I meant "never".

I like some of Millar's work (Wanted was good, and his run on Swamp Thing was fun) but I'm not a huge fan. I wasn't impressed, I just thought it was interesting that he'd use so clearly classical a structure to the story-telling.
I think that probably indicates plagiarism rather than an artistic choice...

(Sorry, that was probably rather petty, but I really can't express how much I detest Mark Millar's work)

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:21 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top