Thanksgiving

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thanksgiving

Post by Mbast1 on Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:19 pm

AFAIK, the British don't celebrate Thanksgiving, so I don't mean anything offensive. I just want to wish those of us who are Americans a good Thanksgiving, and say thank you to the board as a whole. I really enjoy the discussions and am very thankful this place exists.
Take care.
Mike

Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving

Post by MajorHoy on Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:31 am

As an American, I thanketh thee. Wink

MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:05 am

Mbast1 wrote:AFAIK, the British don't celebrate Thanksgiving, so I don't mean anything offensive. I just want to wish those of us who are Americans a good Thanksgiving, and say thank you to the board as a whole. I really enjoy the discussions and am very thankful this place exists.
Take care.
Mike
I still have no understanding of Thanksgiving, but I'm glad this place exists too. So happy...whatever it is you're celebrating. Very Happy

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:14 am

tony ingram wrote:I still have no understanding of Thanksgiving, but I'm glad this place exists too. So happy...whatever it is you're celebrating. Very Happy

Originally, so the story goes, the people who came here almost starved to death, and were thankful for the help given to them by the natives. My understanding now is that not only was the original incident invented, but also the holiday itself came along after the Civil War.
But, it's supposed to be a time to remind us to be thankful for the good things in our lives. I applaud the sentiment, but I don't see most people caring that much.

Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:30 am

How big is this holiday? I'd always assumed it was sort of on a level with Halloween but someone on another forum was saying something about people having the day off work, as though it was on the same scale as Christmas or Easter?

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy on Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:58 pm

tony ingram wrote:How big is this holiday? I'd always assumed it was sort of on a level with Halloween but someone on another forum was saying something about people having the day off work, as though it was on the same scale as Christmas or Easter?
Well, Thanksgiving is a big deal in terms of being thankful that the Pilgrims survived a harsh new world with limits on what supplies they had available and such. It was more of a religious day of giving thanks . . . then it became more a day of thanks celebrated by families and such.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(United_States)

Of course, business got involved and turned it more towards the commercial side, making the end of Thanksgiving become the kickoff to the major Christmas spending season and such . . .

Last edited by MajorHoy on Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:58 pm

tony ingram wrote:How big is this holiday? I'd always assumed it was sort of on a level with Halloween but someone on another forum was saying something about people having the day off work, as though it was on the same scale as Christmas or Easter?

It is one of our major holidays, and people do get the day off.

Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:03 pm

Huh. You learn something new every day. Still seems odd to me, giving any national holiday the same level of status as a religious festival that's been celebrated across the world for a couple of thousand years.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:49 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top