Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Myth Makers: How Comics Inspired Andrew Cartmel's Doctor Who, and Other Stories

2 posters

Go down

Myth Makers: How Comics Inspired Andrew Cartmel's Doctor Who, and Other Stories  Empty Myth Makers: How Comics Inspired Andrew Cartmel's Doctor Who, and Other Stories

Post by tony ingram Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:12 pm

I've just been rather kindly offered a collection of the old Myth Makers VHS Doctor Who interview tapes from the 1990s, presented by Nick Briggs, and it's prompted me to rewatch the few I already owned. Not having watched the tape featuring late eighties script editor Andrew Cartmel since I bought it over ten years ago, (if, indeed, I ever got around to it then: I have no recollection of it at all) I was fascinated to hear Cartmel say that his vision of the show from 1987-89 was actually inspired by the early comics work of Alan Moore, and that the character of Ace was based on one of the punk girls from Love & Rockets! He actually spoke at some length about the advantages of comics as a medium over TV, which came as something of a surprise.

Oh, and Doctor Who was never officially cancelled. Cartmel recalls visiting producer John Nathan Turner in his office several times in the early 90s asking for situation updates which never came. As of the date the interview was recorded, Doctor Who was still officially regarded as being "on hiatus", it seems. And it was recorded in 2002...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Myth Makers: How Comics Inspired Andrew Cartmel's Doctor Who, and Other Stories  Empty Re: Myth Makers: How Comics Inspired Andrew Cartmel's Doctor Who, and Other Stories

Post by tony ingram Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:53 pm

The Jackie Lane one, however, is just bizarre. Fascinating, since Lane is a virtual recluse and easily the most obscure former companion, but God knows what they thought they were doing with the weird background visual effects.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Myth Makers: How Comics Inspired Andrew Cartmel's Doctor Who, and Other Stories  Empty Re: Myth Makers: How Comics Inspired Andrew Cartmel's Doctor Who, and Other Stories

Post by tony ingram Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:12 am

The Tom Baker interview, recorded in 1989 when he was still fresh from the show, is probably the best I've ever seen him give. He hasn't yet adopted his more recent dotty old uncle persona, and is surprisingly self critical, as well as talking at length about the problems with playing a heroic character who basically can't be permitted to grow or change in any way.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:43 pm

tony ingram wrote:the problems with playing a heroic character who basically can't be permitted to grow or change in any way.

Isn't this the problem with most genre fiction, that fans won't allow any real changes? I mean, it makes the characters seems shallow when you think about it, they never really grow.

Sounds like a fun set of interviews, though. Let us know if you find more of interest.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:06 pm

I've just watched the Katy Manning one. The woman is absolutely bonkers, but an incredible mimic! She's also really enthusiastic about her time on the show and got very emotional about the deaths of Roger Delgado (which she and Pertwee apparently found out about when they happened to drive past a newsagents on the way to work and saw it on the front page) and Jon Pertwee (which was then still quite recent, as the interview was recorded in 1998).
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down