British Comics, Today?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

British Comics, Today?

Post by rigsby on Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:55 pm

I have recently rediscovered my love for comics and in particular the comics I read when I was a kid. I used to read comics from Fleetway during the 70's and used to enjoy Shiver and Shake, Whoopee, Whizzer and Chips, Jackpot, etc, as well as the classic DC Thomson's Beano, Dandy, Beezer, Sparky, etc and Odhams Wham!, Smash! and Pow! I wasn't so interested in the war, sports or action comics back then but now also love to see the beautiful artwork of Battle, Action, Hotspur, Lion, Tiger, Tornado, etc. I have been collecting all these sorts of comics and mainly annuals for some years, slowly filling in the gaps to quite a sizeable collection today. I also subscribed to the first 6 issues of Crikey!, before circumstances forced a break, but an excellent publication it was too. However, I have fallen very much out of touch with today's British comic scene - if there is one.

All this has lead me on to ask the question; Are there any British Comics being produced today? I am particularly interested in the sorts of comics I have mentioned above, rather than the more American influenced super-hero genre.  Thanks.

rigsby

Back to top Go down

Re: British Comics, Today?

Post by tony ingram on Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:41 am

2000 AD, Commando and The Phoenix spring to mind. And Doctor Who. The industry has shrunk, but it's not dead yet.

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rigsby on Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:13 am

Thanks for that Tony

rigsby

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:09 pm

And I forgot to mention the Judge Dredd Megazine!

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:53 am

Since this topic first came up, Titan have successfully launched quite a sizeable range of new UK originated titles, but with the exception of one Doctor Who title, none of them are available outside comic shops. Sad...

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:03 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top