Steven Moffat Steps Down

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Steven Moffat Steps Down

Post by tony ingram on Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:18 am

Steven Moffat has announced that the next series of Doctor Who, his sixth as showrunner, will be his last. Only a Christmas Special will air in 2016 with series 10 following in Spring 2017, before Chris Chibnall succeeds Moffat as showrunner in 2018. The BBC has apparenty made the scheduling decision because there'll be too much else going on in Autumn this year and they want Moffat's final series to be "a huge event".

A shame. It's been a wonderful ride.


Last edited by tony ingram on Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5734
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Steven Moffat Steps Down

Post by Lucy McGough on Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:47 pm

You need more practice on that keyboard.

I already can't wait for Mr Moffat's final series! It's going to be wonderful Very Happy

We were very lucky to have Mr Moffat (apart from the awful part where he wrote like a misogynist). But apart from THAT, he was really very good. Clara Oswald was a fantastic character.

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2153
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Steven Moffat Steps Down

Post by Mbast1 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:45 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:(apart from the awful part where he wrote like a misogynist)

I agree. I'll forgive a lot for the man who wrote "Girl in the Fireplace", but he definitely wasn't to my taste overall. Better on Sherlock.

Mbast1

Posts : 1083
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Steven Moffat Steps Down

Post by tony ingram on Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:03 pm

I still don't understand the assertions that Moffat is/was misogynist or unable to write female characters. To me, Amy Pond was tbe most believable and well rounded companion of the 21st century so far. I've known someone just like her.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5734
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Steven Moffat Steps Down

Post by Lucy McGough on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:36 pm

You too had a crazy stalker who made tiny wee dolls of you and ended up accidentally becoming your mother-in-law?

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2153
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Steven Moffat Steps Down

Post by Mbast1 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:41 pm

tony ingram wrote:I still don't understand the assertions that Moffat is/was misogynist or unable to write female characters.

Some of it is the nature of the show, it's about the Doctor so he's the focus. But, his female characters are often just there to show how great the Doctor is, how easy it would be to fall in love with him, and so on. It looks more like wish fulfillment than an attempt to be an actual person. Generally his females aren't really human.

Honestly, even GitF wasn't great in that regard. I still love it, but Madame De Pompadour was only interesting in that she reflected back how great The Doctor was. Again, it's his show, I get that, but it was a problem when I thought about it.

Mbast1

Posts : 1083
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Steven Moffat Steps Down

Post by Mbast1 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:42 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:ended up accidentally becoming your mother-in-law?

I read that one of the original ideas was for Rose to have been bred by The Doctor (through manipulating her timeline) to be the perfect companion. THAT would have been creepy...

Mbast1

Posts : 1083
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Steven Moffat Steps Down

Post by tony ingram on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:49 am

Lucy McGough wrote:You too had a crazy stalker who made tiny wee dolls of you and ended up accidentally becoming your mother-in-law?
OK, maybe not exactly like her...

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5734
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Steven Moffat Steps Down

Post by tony ingram on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:49 am

Mbast1 wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:ended up accidentally becoming your mother-in-law?

I read that one of the original ideas was for Rose to have been bred by The Doctor (through manipulating her timeline) to be the perfect companion. THAT would have been creepy...
And an awful lot of trouble to go to just to end up with Rose.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5734
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Steven Moffat Steps Down

Post by Lucy McGough on Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:55 am

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I still don't understand the assertions that Moffat is/was misogynist or unable to write female characters.

Some of it is the nature of the show, it's about the Doctor so he's the focus. But, his female characters are often just there to show how great the Doctor is, how easy it would be to fall in love with him, and so on. It looks more like wish fulfillment than an attempt to be an actual person. Generally his females aren't really human.

Honestly, even GitF wasn't great in that regard. I still love it, but Madame De Pompadour was only interesting in that she reflected back how great The Doctor was. Again, it's his show, I get that, but it was a problem when I thought about it.

I agree with Mike.

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2153
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Steven Moffat Steps Down

Post by Mbast1 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:53 pm

tony ingram wrote:And an awful lot of trouble to go to just to end up with Rose.

I liked Rose!

Mbast1

Posts : 1083
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Steven Moffat Steps Down

Post by Lucy McGough on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:55 pm

So did I! Rose is lovely Smile

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2153
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Steven Moffat Steps Down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:14 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum