DC Rebirth: just another tease, or not?

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Re: DC Rebirth: just another tease, or not?

Post by tony ingram on Wed May 23, 2018 4:46 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I've heard about this! Very tempted to pick it up, particularly since the actual return of the JSA seems to be very much on the backburner.
Scooby-Doo! Team-Up is actually one of the few DC comic books I still buy on a regular basis these days. It's a fun, light-hearted series that includes Scooby & the gang meeting up with various DC characters and/or Hanna-Barbera characters. (This month's issue, due out today, is a team-up with Blue Falcon and Dyno-Mutt; last month it was classic Supergirl and Streaky.) Often quite a few winks and nods to past DC characters (more often than not the pre-CoIE stuff).

tony ingram wrote:Have you heard the rumours that there's another Crisis coming?
Seems like a bit of a stretch since Rebirth is only two years old at this point and we probably won't get to the end of Doomsday Cluck until sometime in 2019 at this rate. Jim Lee has also supposedly denied it (for whatever that's worth).
If they do have a "Crisis", it may not be as continuity-altering as many of them have been since CoIE. (And remember, all those annual JLA/JSA meetings were always called "Crisis (fill-in-the-blank)".)
They're definitely building towards something, if recent developments in both Flash and Detective Comics are anything to go by...
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy on Wed May 23, 2018 5:04 pm

tony ingram wrote:They're definitely building towards something, if recent developments in both Flash and Detective Comics are anything to go by...
Well, I stopped buying Detective Comics shortly after Tynion took over (beginning of Rebirth) and started his Super-Awesome-Amazing TIMMY!!!!!!!!!!!! lovefest.
Also don't read The Flash, and after how much "The Button" crossover did, I'll wait until a tpb version of "Flashdance War" comes out (if anything I care about actually results from it).
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Wed May 23, 2018 5:17 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:They're definitely building towards something, if recent developments in both Flash and Detective Comics are anything to go by...
Well, I stopped buying Detective Comics shortly after Tynion took over (beginning of Rebirth) and started his Super-Awesome-Amazing TIMMY!!!!!!!!!!!! lovefest.
Also don't read The Flash, and after how much "The Button" crossover did, I'll wait until a tpb version of "Flashdance War" comes out (if anything I care about actually results from it).
Well, in Detective, Stephanie Brown has just been shown her own original timeline and herself as Robin and Batgirl. And in Flash, Wally West has just begun to regain his memories and Hunter Zolomon has revealed that his kids (who he'd forgotten about) are trapped in the Speed Force along with Bart Allen, Max Mercury and Jesse Quick.
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy on Fri May 25, 2018 3:59 pm

tony ingram wrote:Well, in Detective, Stephanie Brown has just been shown her own original timeline and herself as Robin and Batgirl. And in Flash, Wally West has just begun to regain his memories and Hunter Zolomon has revealed that his kids (who he'd forgotten about) are trapped in the Speed Force along with Bart Allen, Max Mercury and Jesse Quick.
Of course, whether any of this leads to anything (and when) is the big, unanswered question.

MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Fri May 25, 2018 4:24 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Well, in Detective, Stephanie Brown has just been shown her own original timeline and herself as Robin and Batgirl. And in Flash, Wally West has just begun to regain his memories and Hunter Zolomon has revealed that his kids (who he'd forgotten about) are trapped in the Speed Force along with Bart Allen, Max Mercury and Jesse Quick.
Of course, whether any of this leads to anything (and when) is the big, unanswered question.

Well, in te case of Wally's family, it looks like it'll be addressed over the next few issues. I'm just hoping that will lead to someone finally remembering Jay, too!
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Fri May 25, 2018 10:16 pm

MajorHoy wrote:fighting side by side with the Golden Age's premiere superhero team: the Justice Society of America!

Ok, that is just strange. Did they exist only in some Scooby-verse, or what?
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Fri May 25, 2018 10:17 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:fighting side by side with the Golden Age's premiere superhero team: the Justice Society of America!

I don't think we're meant to think too hard about that...
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Fri May 25, 2018 10:19 pm

tony ingram wrote:Well, in te case of Wally's family, it looks like it'll be addressed over the next few issues. I'm just hoping that will lead to someone finally remembering Jay, too!

So is DC's business model just doing Crisis-related events books now?
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy on Sat May 26, 2018 12:45 am

Mbast1 wrote:
The Scooby-Doo! Team-Up stuff is just a whole separate thing where the writer can just play around with various DC & Hanna-Barbera properties in an all-ages appropriate manner.

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Well, in the case of Wally's family, it looks like it'll be addressed over the next few issues. I'm just hoping that will lead to someone finally remembering Jay, too!
No, that's more of a Marvel-model where there's typically at least one "Earth-shattering EVENT!" every year or so.
DC usually takes more time before launching a new "EVENT!"!
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sat May 26, 2018 10:25 am

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Well, in te case of Wally's family, it looks like it'll be addressed over the next few issues. I'm just hoping that will lead to someone finally remembering Jay, too!

No, they haven't done one since 2011. Rebirth was a one shot which didn't directly impact on many other books at the time.
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram on Sun May 27, 2018 2:26 pm

Was the Dark Knights: Metal story an "EVENT!"?
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sun May 27, 2018 3:30 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Was the Dark Knights: Metal story an "EVENT!"?
Sort of, yes, but not in quite the same way as Flashpoint or any of the many Crises. It didn't impact on any of the ongoing titles or change continuity.
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy on Sun May 27, 2018 4:12 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Sort of, yes, but not in quite the same way as Flashpoint or any of the many Crises. It didn't impact on any of the ongoing titles or change continuity.
I didn't read it . . . was it all full of that bright HOPE stuff that DC was suppose to be bringing back with Rebirth?
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sun May 27, 2018 4:32 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
I didn't read it . . . was it all full of that bright HOPE stuff that DC was suppose to be bringing back with Rebirth?
Umm...no. But it did bring back Carter Hall and lead to the new Hawkman book, and also to Terrifics, which I think is quite fun!
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy on Sun May 27, 2018 6:56 pm

tony ingram wrote:Umm...no. But it did bring back Carter Hall and lead to the new Hawkman book, and also to Terrifics, which I think is quite fun!
Well, I'm glad somebody is enjoying Terrifics. I gave upon it after issue #3. (Seemed more like a bad attempt of an imitation of Marvel's Fantastic Four rather than a clever alternative.)
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sun May 27, 2018 8:35 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Umm...no. But it did bring back Carter Hall and lead to the new Hawkman book, and also to Terrifics, which I think is quite fun!
Well, I'm glad somebody is enjoying Terrifics. I gave upon it after issue #3. (Seemed more like a bad attempt of an imitation of Marvel's Fantastic Four rather than a clever alternative.)
Oh, I think it's very obviously that, and intended to be so. An imitation, I mean. But I'm still enjoying it, and looking forard to seeing where it goes. Particularly the new Phantom Girl.
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram on Mon May 28, 2018 6:12 pm

The antagonism between Metamorpho and Plastic Man is painfully artificial.

When it comes to copying Marvel, DC should heed the wise words of Oscar Wilde: "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Like, why be a bad copy of somebody else when you could be original?
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Tue May 29, 2018 10:27 pm

tony ingram wrote:I don't think we're meant to think too hard about that...

Yeah, probably. I do that sometimes.
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Tue May 29, 2018 10:28 pm

tony ingram wrote: It didn't impact on any of the ongoing titles or change continuity.

Didn't it introduce an entire set of new universes, and say they've been there all along? (I really don't know, in that I barely paid attention)
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Wed May 30, 2018 5:45 am

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote: It didn't impact on any of the ongoing titles or change continuity.

Didn't it introduce an entire set of new universes, and say they've been there all along? (I really don't know, in that I barely paid attention)
It more sort of implied that all DC's previous universes (and more) were still out there somehow, I think. But it was all a bit vague.
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy on Wed May 30, 2018 4:03 pm

tony ingram wrote:It more sort of implied that all DC's previous universes (and more) were still out there somehow, I think. But it was all a bit vague.
DC's gotten really good at that "vague" stuff these days . . . scratch
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Wed May 30, 2018 6:56 pm

tony ingram wrote:It more sort of implied that all DC's previous universes (and more) were still out there somehow, I think. But it was all a bit vague.

I had heard this, but I just can't drum up the interest to follow it, I guess.

You may find this interesting:

https://www.cbr.com/doomsday-clock-jsa-rorschach-green-lantern/
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy on Wed May 30, 2018 7:14 pm

Mbast1 wrote:You may find this interesting:

I wonder if CBR needs better proof readers?

. . . Cei-U
Johnny Thunder has been at the heart of the missing JLA mystery since his appearance in DC Universe Rebirth #1, . . .

Rolling Eyes
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Wed May 30, 2018 9:58 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Mbast1 wrote:You may find this interesting:

I wonder if CBR needs better proof readers?

. . . Cei-U
Johnny Thunder has been at the heart of the missing JLA mystery since his appearance in DC Universe Rebirth #1, . . .

Rolling Eyes  
Hey, the main thing is: they're finally on their way back! But yes, they do need better proofreaders, and indeed researchers. The Starheart origin, which they cite as the most recent backstory for Alan's lantern, dates back to the mid 1970s.
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy on Thu May 31, 2018 12:30 am

tony ingram wrote:Hey, the main thing is: they're finally on their way back! But yes, they do need better proofreaders, and indeed researchers. The Starheart origin, which they cite as the most recent backstory for Alan's lantern, dates back to the mid 1970s.
Make that "maybe, kinda, sort of, possibly" on their way back . . . eventually?

By the way, if the lantern was discovered, but Alan Scott himself is still unaccounted for, what's to stop DC from creating a new user of Alan's lantern? Question
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Thu May 31, 2018 2:29 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Hey, the main thing is: they're finally on their way back! But yes, they do need better proofreaders, and indeed researchers. The Starheart origin, which they cite as the most recent backstory for Alan's lantern, dates back to the mid 1970s.
Make that "maybe, kinda, sort of, possibly" on their way back . . . eventually?

By the way, if the lantern was discovered, but Alan Scott himself is still unaccounted for, what's to stop DC from creating a new user of Alan's lantern? Question
It seemss unlikely, since Alan is specifically named in this issue as the Lantern's owner. Why would they spend two years teasing the JSA's return, then not do it?
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Thu May 31, 2018 8:30 pm

MajorHoy wrote:I wonder if CBR needs better proof readers?

From what I've seen, they very much do. I've read some articles where I can't even figure out what the writer means it's so bad.
But then, the good ones I've seen tend to be copied almost word-for-word from press releases. At least the ones where I've seen the release.
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy on Thu May 31, 2018 9:24 pm

tony ingram wrote:Why would they spend two years teasing the JSA's return, then not do it?
Do you remember how they were talking about characters like Alan Scott and Jay Garrick prior to the launch of the New52 series Earth 2?

Mad
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Thu May 31, 2018 9:41 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Why would they spend two years teasing the JSA's return, then not do it?
Do you remember how they were talking about characters like Alan Scott and Jay Garrick prior to the launch of the New52 series Earth 2?

Mad  
Yes, but I don't think they're doing that again. Look, I really do think they've learned their lesson on that front. Everything seen so far-Jay's appearance in Flash, the developments with Johnny-all points to the real JSA.
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy on Thu May 31, 2018 9:57 pm

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:

Mad  
Yes, but I don't think they're doing that again. Look, I really do think they've learned their lesson on that front. Everything seen so far-Jay's appearance in Flash, the developments with Johnny-all points to the real JSA.
Considering how long a delay their "return" has become, and considering how often DC has screwed them over in the past, I don't count on anything.
(Also, considering that Jay's return in Flash lasted for . . . how many pages?
Not much of a real "return" since he was gone and still forgotten (by others in the DC universe) again so quickly.)
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Thu May 31, 2018 10:01 pm

But it was clearly intended to be leading to something, and it was clearly "our" Jay!
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy on Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:18 am

tony ingram wrote:But it was clearly intended to be leading to something, and it was clearly "our" Jay!
And one year later . . . has he come back to stay yet?

You're seeing the glass half-full.

I'm seeing the glass with water that's not safe to drink (yet).
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:06 am

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:But it was clearly intended to be leading to something, and it was clearly "our" Jay!
And one year later . . . has he come back to stay yet?

You're seeing the glass half-full.

I'm seeing the glass with water that's not safe to drink (yet).
I think we've known for awhile that the JSA situation would not be resolved until Doomsday Clock was over. I wasn't expecting him back yet.
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy on Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:26 pm

tony ingram wrote:I think we've known for awhile that the JSA situation would not be resolved until Doomsday Clock was over. I wasn't expecting him back yet.
And we don't even know when Doomsday Cluck will be over (date-wise). Issue #5 was just released, but issue #6 currently isn't due out until Aug 29, 2018 according to DC's website.  Rolling Eyes  

They must really be counting on fans being "patient" considering how long this is dragging out.
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:29 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I think we've known for awhile that the JSA situation would not be resolved until Doomsday Clock was over. I wasn't expecting him back yet.
And we don't even know when Doomsday Cluck will be over (date-wise). Issue #5 was just released, but issue #6 currently isn't due out until Aug 29, 2018 according to DC's website.  Rolling Eyes  

They must really be counting on fans being "patient" considering how long this is dragging out.
It dropped to bi-monthly frequency with #3, I believe. Hey, it' just like old times! Remember the 70s, when about half of Marvel's books seemed to be bi-monthly?
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy on Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:44 pm

tony ingram wrote:It dropped to bi-monthly frequency with #3, I believe. Hey, it' just like old times! Remember the 70s, when about half of Marvel's books seemed to be bi-monthly?
And last-minute reprints thrown in when they missed deadlines? That wasn't a bad thing earlier on when I hadn't read those reprinted stories (yet), but as time went on, . . .
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:48 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:It dropped to bi-monthly frequency with #3, I believe. Hey, it' just like old times! Remember the 70s, when about half of Marvel's books seemed to be bi-monthly?
And last-minute reprints thrown in when they missed deadlines?  That wasn't a bad thing earlier on when I hadn't read those reprinted stories (yet), but as time went on, . . .
I was in the same position, I saw a lot of older stories for the first time that way. "The Dreaded Deadline Doom!" Laughing
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:19 pm

tony ingram wrote:I was in the same position, I saw a lot of older stories for the first time that way. "The Dreaded Deadline Doom!" Laughing

When I was a kid, I didn't realize that's what they were doing, but I feel lucky. As with you two, it was how I got introduced to a lot of older characters. And I'm glad!
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:31 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I was in the same position, I saw a lot of older stories for the first time that way. "The Dreaded Deadline Doom!" Laughing

When I was a kid, I didn't realize that's what they were doing, but I feel lucky. As with you two, it was how I got introduced to a lot of older characters. And I'm glad!
I also miss the regular reprint titles. Of course, we in Britain had regular reprint books from Marvel UK, but there were also US monthlies like Marvel Triple Action, Marvel Super Action and Marvel's Greatest Comics. There's nothing like that now, and even the current British Marvel and DC reprints from Panini and Titan are almost all much more recent material.
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3