Best Justice League Lineup?

Go down

Best Justice League Lineup?

Post by tony ingram on Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:28 pm

What do you think was the best Justice League lineup? The original Silver/Bronze Age team? Giffen's JLI? Morrison's group? The Detroit League, maybe (well, somebody must have liked them)? Or even the >shudder< New 52 group? And what would be your dream team?

Personally, my favourite JL era is the Giffen/DeMatteis version, followed by the Bronze Age group. I think I'm fairly unusual in generally preferring the second string characters to the big names, though, so what attracted me to the 70s JLA was really characters like Red Tornado, Zatanna, Elongated Man and Firestorm rather than Supes or Bats.

I think my ideal lineup would probably include Red Tornado, Elongated Man, Black Canary, Green Arrow, Guy Gardner, Hawkman (Carter Hall, not Katar Hol), Hawkwoman, the Atom and Dr Fate or Zatanna. preferably Dr Fate.



Last edited by tony ingram on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 6319
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 48
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Justice League Lineup?

Post by Lucy McGough on Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:26 pm

I like Grant Morrison's JLA because they were imprinted on me at an impressionable age. Plus, I like the art.
avatar
Lucy McGough

Posts : 2420
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 30
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Justice League Lineup?

Post by Mbast1 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:52 pm

tony ingram wrote:What do you think was the best Justice League lineup?

Probably due to what I read as a kid, but I like the classic Bronze Age line-up. I like the team being big, and having a lot of big name characters. I enjoyed other versions, but that line-up always worked for me.
avatar
Mbast1

Posts : 1356
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Justice League Lineup?

Post by MajorHoy on Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:58 am

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:What do you think was the best Justice League lineup?
Probably due to what I read as a kid, but I like the classic Bronze Age line-up. I like the team being big, and having a lot of big name characters. I enjoyed other versions, but that line-up always worked for me.
I started reading Justice League of America back in the 1970s, so I also enjoy the Bronze Age type of line-up with a lot of members available, but not necessarily present for every issue. And a mix of major names and those who don't already have their own, separate titles to call "home".
avatar
MajorHoy

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Justice League Lineup?

Post by tony ingram on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:13 am

MajorHoy wrote:
Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:What do you think was the best Justice League lineup?
Probably due to what I read as a kid, but I like the classic Bronze Age line-up. I like the team being big, and having a lot of big name characters. I enjoyed other versions, but that line-up always worked for me.
I started reading Justice League of America back in the 1970s, so I also enjoy the Bronze Age type of line-up with a lot of members available, but not necessarily present for every issue. And a mix of major names and those who don't already have their own, separate titles to call "home".
I think generally, the characters with no solo books got more character development in JLA. Red Tornado in particular.
avatar
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 6319
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 48
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Justice League Lineup?

Post by MajorHoy on Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:38 pm

tony ingram wrote:I think generally, the characters with no solo books got more character development in JLA. Red Tornado in particular.
That's why a mix of major heroes with heroes who don't have their own features, in my opinion, works best in a book like Justice League of America.Having characters like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc. rotating appearances can attract some readers, but stories where actual developments can happen with the other characters can bring readers back to the on-going stories on a continuing basis.

But again, since that's what I grew up with, nostalgia may be controlling my preference towards that type of roster.)
avatar
MajorHoy

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Justice League Lineup?

Post by tony ingram on Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:41 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I think generally, the characters with no solo books got more character development in JLA. Red Tornado in particular.
That's why a mix of major heroes with heroes who don't have their own features, in my opinion, works best in a book like Justice League of America.Having characters like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc. rotating appearances can attract some readers, but stories where actual developments can happen with the other characters can bring readers back to the on-going stories on a continuing basis.
It worked with me!
avatar
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 6319
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 48
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Justice League Lineup?

Post by Lucy McGough on Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:00 pm

Isn't the JLA supposed to comprise Earth's most powerful heroes? Why would the likes of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman not be on the team? If aliens invade, a team made up of the likes of Vixen and Killer Frost isn't really going to cut it.
avatar
Lucy McGough

Posts : 2420
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 30
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Justice League Lineup?

Post by tony ingram on Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:11 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Isn't the JLA supposed to comprise Earth's most powerful heroes? Why would the likes of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman not be on the team? If aliens invade, a team made up of the likes of Vixen and Killer Frost isn't really going to cut it.
Hey, don't underestimate the little guys! Justice League Detroit stopped at last one alien invasion, and in the sixties the Challengers of the Unknown (who had no powers at all) used to stop about one a month!
avatar
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 6319
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 48
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Justice League Lineup?

Post by MajorHoy on Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:37 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Isn't the JLA supposed to comprise Earth's most powerful heroes? Why would the likes of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman not be on the team? If aliens invade, a team made up of the likes of Vixen and Killer Frost isn't really going to cut it.
You need mixes of powers, though. If the team is all über-strong powerhouses, but the bad-creature finds a way to negate all their physical strength(s), maybe you need somebody like Elongated Man or the Atom to figure out a different way to win.
avatar
MajorHoy

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Justice League Lineup?

Post by tony ingram on Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:00 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:Isn't the JLA supposed to comprise Earth's most powerful heroes? Why would the likes of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman not be on the team? If aliens invade, a team made up of the likes of Vixen and Killer Frost isn't really going to cut it.
You need mixes of powers, though. If the team is all über-strong powerhouses, but the bad-creature finds a way to negate all their physical strength(s), maybe you need somebody like Elongated Man or the Atom to figure out a different way to win.
Exactly! Raw power isn't everything. After all, look at Batman.
avatar
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 6319
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 48
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Justice League Lineup?

Post by MajorHoy on Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:11 pm

tony ingram wrote:Exactly! Raw power isn't everything. After all, look at Batman.
Hard not to do that these days since he's almost everywhere at DC . . .
avatar
MajorHoy

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Justice League Lineup?

Post by tony ingram on Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:59 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Exactly! Raw power isn't everything. After all, look at Batman.
Hard not to do that these days since he's almost everywhere at DC . . .
Apart from in Action, Aquaman, Cave Carson, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lanterns, Green Lantern Corps, New Challengers, Shade, Superman, Terrifics, Wonder Woman...
avatar
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 6319
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 48
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Justice League Lineup?

Post by Lucy McGough on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:21 am

MajorHoy wrote:You need mixes of powers, though. If the team is all über-strong powerhouses, but the bad-creature finds a way to negate all their physical strength(s), maybe you need somebody like Elongated Man or the Atom to figure out a different way to win.
A mix of powers, yes. But they can't all be second- or third-tier heroes.
avatar
Lucy McGough

Posts : 2420
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 30
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Justice League Lineup?

Post by tony ingram on Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:25 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:You need mixes of powers, though. If the team is all über-strong powerhouses, but the bad-creature finds a way to negate all their physical strength(s), maybe you need somebody like Elongated Man or the Atom to figure out a different way to win.
A mix of powers, yes. But they can't all be second- or third-tier heroes.
Thats why you have someone like J'onn, who has Superman level powers but can't seem to sustain a solo title. He works best on a team.
avatar
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 6319
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 48
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Best Justice League Lineup?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum