Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I.P.C largest selling `weekly` magazines!

+2
tony ingram
alanultron5
6 posters

Go down

I.P.C largest selling `weekly` magazines! Empty I.P.C largest selling `weekly` magazines!

Post by alanultron5 Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:35 pm

It might surprise thee to know, but in the 1960s and 1970s the largest selling `titles` of IPCs weekly issues weren't comics! nay! in early 1964 IPC purchased New Musical Express from Maurice Kihn and it sold over 2 million in 1964/5/6/7 & 8. By 1970 the NME was losing sales-fast! Over 1 million by late 1971! However! by 1970 Melody Maker, who covered `Progressive` music, surged ahead and by 1973 were selling well over 1 million per week! By 1977 the NME (as it was known then) bieng more in touch with `Punk` reclaimed top spot! No comic titles at IPC came anywhere near these figures!

It was the massive profits from NME & M.Maker that subsidised comics such as "Action" and, initially, "2000AD"

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

I.P.C largest selling `weekly` magazines! Empty Re: I.P.C largest selling `weekly` magazines!

Post by tony ingram Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:49 pm

I think comic sales were falling steadily by the mid seventies, weren't they? Be interesting to know how much of IPC's overall sales came from the comics over the decades...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

I.P.C largest selling `weekly` magazines! Empty Re: I.P.C largest selling `weekly` magazines!

Post by MR X Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:28 pm

IPC were and probably still are [assuming they still exist] a vast conglomorate cartel, of which comics were but one 'arm'. The decision to axe their comics range was possibly just another corporate business decision brought about by 'suits' higher up, with no real interest in comics, who totted up the annual receipts and saw declining sales.

D C THOMSON is a big company, but still 'cottage industry' compared to IPC, and maybe this is still why they choose to still put out comics, even if sales are dwindling greatly.
MR X
MR X

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:35 pm

IPC are indeed still in existence, though they're now IPC Media. Amongst their current output are Country Life, Horse & Hound, TV Times, What's On TV, Woman's Weekly, Chat, NME and Nuts.

But no comics.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:33 pm

IPC also produced `Disc and Music Echo` from 1966 after buying `Disc` (as it was called initially) from the `Charles Buchan` group. Disc and ME never really took off big in sales and IPC sold it to Billboard publications (the owners of `Record Mirror`) in the final week of August 1975.

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:54 pm

Any of you have a chart showing the fluctuation of comic sales? it would be quite interesting to see.
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:16 pm

Sadly, No! I think the British Library might have the data at their Colingdale branch that you reach via the `Northern Line`. I would love to know Sparky comics sales as it must have been close to cancellation circa 1966-67.

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:27 pm

I actually know someone who works for the British Library. I might ask her to undertake a bit of research for us...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by felneymike Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:34 pm

I beleive that what were once considered "very low" sales for a comic, around 30 years ago, are now considered "healthy". For instance i think the Beano sells much less than 100,000 copies every week (maybe only around 50,000), but if it had been selling that little in the 50's-70's they wouldn't have been able to drop it fast enough!

felneymike

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:37 pm

Same everywhere. In the 70's, an American comic selling 200, 000 would have been close to cancellation. Now, 50, 000 is quite respectable.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shaqui Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:23 am

tony ingram wrote:I actually know someone who works for the British Library. I might ask her to undertake a bit of research for us...

The media directories at Colindale (on the shelves in front of the main desk) have the ABC (Audit Bureau of Circulation) figures for some comics. cyclops The ones I have are featured at the Gerry Anderson Complete Comic History website:

http://www.technodelic.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Annuals/Comics.htm

I speculate it took about 18 months for a title to get its first figures. If a title ran for less than than that, figures are not usually available. No
shaqui
shaqui

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:58 am

But presumably IPC must have had figures, at least a rough idea of sales? Was none of that kept if a title was pulled at 22 weeks?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shaqui Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:02 am

tony ingram wrote:But presumably IPC must have had figures, at least a rough idea of sales? Was none of that kept if a title was pulled at 22 weeks?

Presumably yes, but how would you get access to them? The ABC ones are available if you plough through the directories and, I would also moot, be more accurate...
shaqui
shaqui

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:04 am

shaqui wrote:
tony ingram wrote:But presumably IPC must have had figures, at least a rough idea of sales? Was none of that kept if a title was pulled at 22 weeks?

Presumably yes, but how would you get access to them? The ABC ones are available if you plough through the directories and, I would also moot, be more accurate...
I'll ask Julie to take a look when she has some free time, see what she can dig up...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MR X Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:43 pm

Incredible that the Beano sold around 2 million copies at it's peak in the 50s.........I remember I was saddened when I discovered it was down to 125,ooo a week, but even this figure appears as 'the good old days' today.......
MR X
MR X

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:47 pm

MR X wrote:Incredible that the Beano sold around 2 million copies at it's peak in the 50s.........I remember I was saddened when I discovered it was down to 125,ooo a week, but even this figure appears as 'the good old days' today.......
Sad, but inevitable. A lot of kids just don't read anymore.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down