Riverdale, at least the first episode.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Riverdale, at least the first episode.

Post by Mbast1 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:27 pm

I watched the first episode of Riverdale, so if you haven't seen it consider it spoiler-y.

I am probably one of the few people who would consider themselves fans of both Twin Peaks and Archie so I am going to give this a bit of time to find its feet, but this first episode was very odd. Typical teen stuff, mostly, although definitely edgier. At least from what I have seen, but I'm not part of that audience, so I don't know. For the most part, all I could think was why Archie? I know the company wants to update its image, and I have no problem with that. I like what I like, and they can publish whatever they want. I'll buy what's interesting to me, and ignore what's not.
But, this was ALL about name/brand recognition, and it's SO far from the source material (well, maybe the new version, which I haven't been keeping up on, is closer) that I wonder what was the point. When you're adapting source material to a different medium, it's going to be different. I know. And I don't have any problem with making it wildly different. But, so many fewer people (I think) would have watched this if it weren't known characters that I wonder what was the point. It's NOT the same characters, except in a vastly generic way. I can't see the reason for using this setting, other than the name getting viewers. Which can't be enough.
Also, Luke Perry as Archie's dad? I am SO OLD.
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top