Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BluRay? Sounds good, but I'm not sure

3 posters

Go down

BluRay? Sounds good, but I'm not sure Empty BluRay? Sounds good, but I'm not sure

Post by Mbast1 Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:55 pm

Apparently the entire first season of Tom Baker's run as Doctor Who is coming to Bluray. Sounds like fun, but I'm wary of things that old being on Bluray. It wasn't filmed in a way to make it need Bluray. So, while it may appeal to some (so I'm posting this) I'm not sure I won't just seek out the DVD version.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

BluRay? Sounds good, but I'm not sure Empty Re: BluRay? Sounds good, but I'm not sure

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:29 am

I don't even know what Bluray is. How is it different from DVD?
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

BluRay? Sounds good, but I'm not sure Empty Re: BluRay? Sounds good, but I'm not sure

Post by Mbast1 Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:49 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:I don't even know what Bluray is. How is it different from DVD?

It's a newer format, able to store more digital data. Meaning there would be a lot clearer pictures, and modern digital-era movies can take advantage of that. But, I've seen plenty of Bluray disks of older movies where there was no real difference from DVD. And that's what I'd think would be the case here. Not sure if you CAN get the dvd version of this, but I'd probably go with that.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:43 am

Mbast1 wrote:But, I've seen plenty of Bluray disks of older movies where there was no real difference from DVD. And that's what I'd think would be the case here.

So it's just trying to get people to buy something by slapping the label 'Bluray' on it. Sounds like a type of fish anyway.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:40 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:So it's just trying to get people to buy something by slapping the label 'Bluray' on it. Sounds like a type of fish anyway.

This happens with every format switch, I guess. But it seems unlikely I'd buy it. Especially since I can buy the season streaming on Amazon for $6.
Although if someone does buy it and says it's worth it, I might. Until then, no.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:17 pm

It's highly unlikely any of the Tom Baker stuff would benefit at all from being on Blu-Ray simply because it as mostly shot on video and cannot be upscaled as film can; the only classic Who story shot entirely on film was Spearhead from Space, which was released on Blu-Ray some years ago for that very reason. Basically, the Blu-Ray will take up less shelf space, but will otherwise look identical to the DVD version.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:04 pm

tony ingram wrote:Basically, the Blu-Ray will take up less shelf space, but will otherwise look identical to the DVD version.

As I figured. But at least I know it's available.
I'm liking the older stuff more over time.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down