Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days?

5 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? Empty What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days?

Post by MajorHoy Sun May 27, 2018 7:35 pm

These days (especially with Memorial Day weekend here in the U.S. around now), I've been listening to some CD's I picked up a few years back featuring recordings made by the American Band of the AEF back during WWII.

What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? 51ENMTN5G6L._SY355_

What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? 71sV59OwFrL._SY355_

Some of the programs were originally broadcast from the Queensbury All-Services Club in London.

MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? Empty Re: What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days?

Post by tony ingram Sun May 27, 2018 8:41 pm

I've been sitting up half the night on Fridays, watching vintage 1980s epiodes of the BBC's old weekly chart show Top of the Tops. I love most early eighties music, that was 'my' era. Particularly the new romantics.

Last edited by tony ingram on Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Barry_Allen and Mbast1 like this post

Back to top Go down

What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? Empty Re: What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days?

Post by Lucy Ingram Mon May 28, 2018 6:09 pm

I listen to Leonard Cohen covers on the train when I'm depressed.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon May 28, 2018 7:52 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:I listen to Leonard Cohen covers on the train when I'm depressed.
And that helps, does it? Shocked
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue May 29, 2018 10:34 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:I listen to Leonard Cohen covers on the train when I'm depressed.
And that helps, does it? Shocked

Yeah, his music MAKES me depressed.

I like a lot of music. Prince, to start, and been listening lately. Miles Davis also.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:50 pm

Continuing with my listening to WWII-era music listening,
What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? 419JC4TAQYL
Glenn Miller: The Lost Recordings
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:34 am

And for a slight change of pace,
What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? 71Ork-glK1L._SX355_
The Essential Artie Shaw
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:26 pm

MajorHoy wrote:Continuing with my listening to WWII-era music listening,

I often listen to WWII era radio shows, and that music is on them often. Pretty good stuff, really.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:21 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:Continuing with my listening to WWII-era music listening,
I often listen to WWII era radio shows, and that music is on them often. Pretty good stuff, really.
There were many entertaining radio programs back in the 1930s and 1940s.
Years and years (and years!) ago, it was easy to find either cassette tapes or (later) CD collections in book stores like Barnes & Noble here in the states, and often at halfway decent prices. They were great when I was driving for about an hour or so on highways late at night.
However, I haven't seen them in stores for a while now, nor do they seem to be at a couple of libraries I've checked. You either have to download them from the internet (but I don't own any device to play them on other than a home computer) or buy them through the internet, but that can involve paying quite a bit for just the shipping! Shocked
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:20 pm

MajorHoy wrote:You either have to download them from the internet (but I don't own any device to play them on other than a home computer) or buy them through the internet, but that can involve paying quite a bit for just the shipping! Shocked

I've bought them from Ebay for really low prices. You can just download them from Archive.org (and a player would be pretty cheap too) and listen at your leisure. I usually listen while I'm driving.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:20 am

tony ingram wrote:And that helps, does it? Shocked
Yes, because he sings how I'm feeling.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:45 pm

Currently been listening to
What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? 81Y%2BgW4f6eL._SY355_

Sentimental Journey: Hits from the Second World War
(music from The War - A Ken Burns Film)

It features various songs / artists from that era, including:
* "Little Brown Jug" (Glenn Miller)
* "Pennies from Heaven" (Teddy Wilson & His Orchestra with Billie Holiday)
* "Memories of You" (Louis Armstrong)
* "Blues In The Night (My Mama Done Tol' Me)" (Cab Calloway & His Orchestra)
* "Sentimental Journey" (Les Brown & His Orchestra with vocals by Doris Day)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:02 am

What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? 0000330994
The Very Best of Benny Goodman
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Mbast1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:16 am

What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? MI0002789324.jpg?partner=allrovi
Artie Shaw & His Orchestra with  Robert Benchley ‎– Old Gold "Melody & Madness" Shows (from 1939)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Mbast1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:52 am

I've been listening to modern music because a new addition to my office insists on listening to a radio while she works. I have come to the conclusion that modern music is rubbish. Sometimes she listens to a station that plays older music, but it just does the same songs over and over again. So that's rubbish too.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Mbast1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:13 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:I've been listening to modern music because a new addition to my office insists on listening to a radio while she works. I have come to the conclusion that modern music is rubbish. Sometimes she listens to a station that plays older music, but it just does the same songs over and over again. So that's rubbish too.
The annoying thing about radio is that even stations that are more of a Top 40/heavy rotation type will have the problem that after they play a song, it's probably not uncommon for them to get people calling up and asking the station to play that same song again. (I know when I use to work in radio years ago that would frequently happen.)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:26 am

But back then people couldn't listen to music on their phones or computers, so they had more of an excuse.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:05 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:But back then people couldn't listen to music on their phones or computers, so they had more of an excuse.
Back in the last century, people still had access to personal music listening devices, primitive as they may have been.

What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? A7573010
What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? 100_1410
What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? C6c15810
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Mbast1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:49 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:But back then people couldn't listen to music on their phones or computers, so they had more of an excuse.
Back in the last century, people still had access to personal music listening devices, primitive as they may have been.

What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? A7573010
What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? 100_1410
I loved my Walkman...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:21 pm

tony ingram wrote:I loved my Walkman...

When I was in junior high school (late 70s) one of my friends made money by taking a cassette tape player, attaching it to a flat board, and then adding speakers to it.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:27 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I loved my Walkman...

When I was in junior high school (late 70s) one of my friends made money by taking a cassette tape player, attaching it to a flat board, and then adding speakers to it.
A primitive "boom box"? Razz
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Mbast1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:54 am

"Yes! We Have No Bananas"

What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? 0002759043
from Benny Goodman & The Rhythm Makers: Good to Go

(Unfortunately, I don't believe I own any albums with the song "I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts".
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:45 am

Tracy is off work for the rest of the week, so I have some respite from the endless 'music'.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Mbast1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:12 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Tracy is off work for the rest of the week, so I have some respite from the endless 'music'.
Time to crank up the Leonard Cohen tunes and rock out! afro
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:43 pm

MajorHoy wrote:A primitive "boom box"? Razz

Exactly. I'm not saying he invented them, of course, because he made them after the first one's came out. I just thought it was interesting.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:21 am

MajorHoy wrote:Time to crank up the Leonard Cohen tunes and rock out!  afro
No. I'm enjoying the silence, since it has become a rare and precious commodity.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Mbast1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:28 am

I'm guessing I might have been the only one here to have a Close 'n Play phonograph when I was a kid?

By the way, I also had (and still own) some 8-track tapes from back in the '70s. (Never had a separate machine to play them; there was a player as part of an old one-piece stereo system I use to have.)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:23 am

What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? MI0001592124.jpg?partner=allrovi
Jack Teagarden - Basin Street Blues

(songs originally recorded between 1929 and 1944)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:56 pm

MajorHoy wrote:I'm guessing I might have been the only one here to have a Close 'n Play phonograph when I was a kid?

I had something similar. It looked like a typewriter case, but it was a record player.

MajorHoy wrote:some 8-track tapes from back in the '70s. (Never had a separate machine to play them; there was a player as part of an old one-piece stereo system I use to have.)

My grandmother gave my brother and I (we shared a room as kids) a cabinet with a record player and an 8-track player. And the first car I had (technically my Dad's, but he let me drive it) had an 8-track player in it.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:52 am

Mbast1 wrote: . . . the first car I had (technically my Dad's, but he let me drive it) had an 8-track player in it.
Never had a car with an 8-track player in it.
Did have a cb radio hooked up to a car I had.
And I also tended to refer to the family automobile when I first started driving (a 1976 Plymouth Volaré station wagon) as "my car" because my Mom didn't have a driver's license and my Dad only drove it on weekends. I normally drove it during the week to school and a part-time job I had a few weeknights and on Sunday during the school year. (By the way, it did actually become the second car I owned; when my Dad got a new car, I took his old car and he traded in my car in exchange.)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:49 am

Albums I've most recently been listening to are:
What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? R-6621709-1423272591-7059.jpeg
Tommy Dorsey - Greatest Hits (RCA Victor, 1996)
and
What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? R-5954241-1513892086-9723.jpeg
Swing! - Greatest Hits (RCA Victor, 1996)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:16 am

We've gotta pick a track for me to walk up the aisle to. So far we're leaning towards 'Here Comes the Bride', because it's traditional.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Mbast1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:56 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:We've gotta pick a track for me to walk up the aisle to. So far we're leaning towards 'Here Comes the Bride', because it's traditional.
A friend of mine is always partial to "Brick House" by The Commodores (from back in 1977).
"Ow, she's a brick house
She's mighty-mighty, just lettin' it all hang out
She's a brick house
That lady's stacked and that's a fact
Ain't holding nothing back

Ow, she's a brick house
Well put-together, everybody knows
This is how the story goes

She knows she got everything
That a woman needs to get a man, yeah, yeah
How can she lose with the stuff she use
Thirty-six, twenty-four, thirty-six oh what a winning hand

'Cause she's a brick house
She's mighty-mighty, just lettin' it all hang out
She's a brick house
Ow, that lady stacked and that's a fact
Ain't holding nothing back

Ow, she's a brick house
Yeah, she's the one, the only one, built like an amazon

The clothes she wears, her sexy ways
Make an old man wish for younger days, yeah, yeah
She knows…"
(Admittedly, it's probably not very "traditional" . . . )
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Mbast1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:00 am

No, I will not be walking down the aisle to 'Brick House' by the Commodores.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:32 am

Lucy McGough wrote:No, I will not be walking down the aisle to 'Brick House' by the Commodores.
Don't worry . . . I won't suggest Billy Idol's 'White Wedding'.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Mbast1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:23 am

We've gone for 'Here Comes the Bride'.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Mbast1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:01 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:We've gone for 'Here Comes the Bride'.

Aw, man, did you guys miss an opportunity. I could just see the giant musical number from Brick House!
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:46 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:We've gone for 'Here Comes the Bride'.
Aw, man, did you guys miss an opportunity. I could just see the giant musical number from Brick House!
Or Kool & the Gang's "Get Down on It".

"What you gonna do? You wanna get down?
Tell me, what you gonna do? Do you wanna get down?
What you gonna do? You wanna get down?
What you gonna do? You wanna get down? Tell me

Get down on it, get down on it
Get down on it, get down on it, come on and

How you gonna do it if you really don't want to dance
By standing on the wall?
(Get your back up off the wall) tell me
How you gonna do it if you really don't wanna dance
By standing on the wall, get your back up off the wall

'Cause I heard all the people sayin'
Get down on it, come on and
Get down on it, if you really want it
Get down on it, you gotta feel it
get down on it, come on and
get down on it, baby, baby
Get… "
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Mbast1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:56 pm

They didn't even play 'Here Comes the Bride' all the way through... Sad
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:33 am

Lucy Ingram wrote:They didn't even play 'Here Comes the Bride' all the way through... Sad
Did you walk too quickly? Question
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Mbast1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:32 pm

Yes, maybe that was it Very Happy
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Mbast1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:35 am

These days, I've been alternating between Big Band and Blues, but currently I've got

What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? S-l30010
Tommy Dorsey in the cd player.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:26 pm

What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? Cockta10
Cocktail Lounge cd, originally from Pottery Barn (store chain here in the U.S.) back around 2000.

Includes tracks from Mel Torme, Lena Horne, Wayne Newton, Sarah Vaughn, and Eartha Kitt (among others).
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:21 pm

MajorHoy wrote:What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? Cockta10
Cocktail Lounge cd, originally from Pottery Barn (store chain here in the U.S.) back around 2000.

Includes tracks from Mel Torme, Lena Horne, Wayne Newton, Sarah Vaughn, and Eartha Kitt (among others).

I see there is a (from the  Bats tv series of the 60s) comics connection even in what you are listening, Major! Very Happy
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

https://editorialecorno.blogspot.com/

Mbast1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:49 pm

Barry_Allen wrote:
MajorHoy wrote: . . . Cocktail Lounge cd, originally from Pottery Barn (store chain here in the U.S.) back around 2000.

I see there is a (from the  Bats tv series of the 60s) comics connection even in what you are listening, Major! Very Happy
For that one there was, but now I'm listening to another cd from Pottery Barn,
What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? Martin10
Martini Lounge (1996)
and while it includes the theme song from a Matt Helm movie of the 1960s, that's about as close as this one comes to anything vaguely comic book-related.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:36 pm

Moving on to
What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? Ultra-13
What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? Ultra-14
Ultra-Lounge Vol.5 - Wild, Cool & Swingin' (1996)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Barry_Allen and Mbast1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:28 pm

Had been listening to
What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? Artie_11
Artie Shaw: Best of the Big Bands
but now I've got
What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? Les_br11
Les Brown: Best of the Big Bands playing.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Barry_Allen likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:49 am

What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? Dorsey10
Dorsey Brothers: Best of the Big Bands
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:22 pm

What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? Benny_10
Benny Goodman: Best of the Big Bands
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:21 pm

What Music (albums, songs, etc.) Are You Listening To These Days? Duke_e10
Duke Ellington Greatest Hits
(RCA Victor)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next