Steve Ditko RIP

Go down

Steve Ditko RIP

Post by tony ingram on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:24 am

It's being reported that Spider-Man co-creator Steve Ditko has died, aged 90. Supposedly, he was found dead at his home on June 29th but may have died some days earlier. He had no known family. If true, a genuine tragedy.
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Steve Ditko RIP

Post by MajorHoy on Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:03 am

Here's what they have on The New York Times website:
Steve Ditko, Spider-Man Co-Creator, Dies at Age 90
By The Associated Press
July 6, 2018
NEW YORK — Police in New York say Steve Ditko, who co-created the Spider-Man and Doctor Strange characters for Marvel Comics, has died. He was 90.
Lt. Paul Ng says Ditko was found on June 29 in his Manhattan apartment and was pronounced dead at the scene. No further details were immediately available.
Ditko, along with Stan Lee, introduced the world to Peter Parker, and his alter-ego Spider-Man in 1962 in an issue of "Amazing Fantasy."
A year later, Ditko introduced the world to surgeon-turned-metaphysical superhero Doctor Strange.
The adventures of Spider-Man and Doctor Strange have been turned into blockbuster films.
Ditko left Marvel in 1966, and returned the following decade. One of his later creations was Squirrel Girl, a cult favorite among comics fans.
https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2018/07/06/us/ap-us-obit-steve-ditko.html

Don't know if they may have a better write-up later on or not.
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram on Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:45 am

Poor Mr Ditko. May he rest in peace.
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:39 am

What really gets to me is that it seems it may have been a couple of days before anyone noticed. This was Steve Ditko!
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy on Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:57 pm

tony ingram wrote:What really gets to me is that it seems it may have been a couple of days before anyone  noticed. This was Steve Ditko!
Haven't encountered anything further on that, but then again, it wouldn't be too surprising depending on how much of a private life he generally preferred in his older age.
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy on Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:56 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:What really gets to me is that it seems it may have been a couple of days before anyone  noticed. This was Steve Ditko!
Haven't encountered anything further on that, but then again, it wouldn't be too surprising depending on how much of a private life he generally preferred in his older age.
And I found this just recently in a Los Angeles Times posted story:
He maintained a writing studio in Manhattan until his death, but he had no known surviving family members and was incredibly reclusive, turning down nearly all offers to do interviews, meet fans or appear at movie premieres.
“We didn’t approach him,” Scott Derrickson, director of the 2016 movie “Doctor Strange,” told the Hollywood Reporter. “He’s like J.D. Salinger. He is private and has intentionally stayed out of the spotlight. I hope he goes to see the movie wherever he is, because I think we paid homage to his work.”
which would also add to the possibility that his death wouldn't have been noticed by anybody right away.
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:20 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
And I found this just recently in a Los Angeles Times posted story:
He maintained a writing studio in Manhattan until his death, but he had no known surviving family members and was incredibly reclusive, turning down nearly all offers to do interviews, meet fans or appear at movie premieres.
“We didn’t approach him,” Scott Derrickson, director of the 2016 movie “Doctor Strange,” told the Hollywood Reporter. “He’s like J.D. Salinger. He is private and has intentionally stayed out of the spotlight. I hope he goes to see the movie wherever he is, because I think we paid homage to his work.”
which would also add to the possibility that his death wouldn't have been noticed by anybody right away.
A great shame. Nobody should be that alone. Today, I rewatched the BBC4 documentary In Search of Steve Ditko, made back in 2007, and he was equally reclusive then. Wouldn't be interviewed, woudn't be photographed. They played a short, rather crackly snippet of an old tape of him reading from Ayn Rand, which was apparently the only known recording of his voice. What makes someone like that?
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:54 pm

tony ingram wrote:A great shame. Nobody should be that alone.

It is a shame, as someone whose work shaped the genre he deserved more than he got. I used to be a HUGE fan of his Objectivist work (still am of the work, not the ideology) and so this was a bad week. Losing Harlan Ellison and Ditko so close together. Awful.
And it would be nice if people writing about deaths could be bothered to get basic facts right.
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:16 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:A great shame. Nobody should be that alone.

It is a shame, as someone whose work shaped the genre he deserved more than he got. I used to be a HUGE fan of his Objectivist work (still am of the work, not the ideology) and so this was a bad week. Losing Harlan Ellison and Ditko so close together. Awful.
And it would be nice if people writing about deaths could be bothered to get basic facts right.
One news site illustrated their piece with an image of Spidey by Todd McFarlane.
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:23 am

tony ingram wrote:One news site illustrated their piece with an image of Spidey by Todd McFarlane.

I don't want to think people are idiots, I really don't.
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:57 am

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:One news site illustrated their piece with an image of Spidey by Todd McFarlane.

I don't want to think people are idiots, I really don't.
It's a shame all the evidence points in that direction then, really... Razz
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:40 pm

tony ingram wrote:It's a shame all the evidence points in that direction then, really... Razz

Most days I'd agree.
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram on Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:35 am

tony ingram wrote:What makes someone like that?

Some people are just born different.
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down