SHAZAM!: THE MONSTER SOCIETY OF EVIL DELUXE EDITION cancelled

Go down

SHAZAM!: THE MONSTER SOCIETY OF EVIL DELUXE EDITION cancelled Empty SHAZAM!: THE MONSTER SOCIETY OF EVIL DELUXE EDITION cancelled

Post by MajorHoy on Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:32 am

DC had been planning to produce a hardcover collection of the famed "Captain Marvel" story from the 1940s in February 2019:
SHAZAM!: THE MONSTER SOCIETY OF EVIL DELUXE EDITION
At first he was simply a disembodied voice on the radio, taunting Captain Marvel with his ever-more-fiendish schemes to conquer the world. Then, readers gasped as Mr. Mind was revealed—all two inches of him! Was this lowly creature really the epitome of evil he claimed to be? Fortunately, Billy Batson understood the folly of underestimating someone based on their size! As small as he was, Mr. Mind was big trouble—especially once he turned the menacing members of his Monster Society of Evil loose to wreak havoc!
This new title collects the entire 24-chapter serial from the Golden Age of Comics with new essays by Fawcett Comics expert P.C. Hamerlinck and film producer and comics historian Michael Uslan. Collects stories from CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES #22-46!
Art by: John Costanza, C.C. Beck
Cover by: Michael Cho
Written by: Otto Binder
Series: CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES 1941
Book Type: Collected Edition Graphic Novel
U.S. Price: $49.99
On Sale Date: Feb 6 2019
Binding: Hardcover
https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels/captain-marvel-adventures-1941/shazam-the-monster-society-of-evil-deluxe-edition

But, not surprisingly, that ain't going to happen.

DC Cancels Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil Reprint Over Content Concerns
08.01.2018 - by Brandon Staley
DC Comics has canceled the scheduled hardcover collection Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil Deluxe Edition over content concerns. The news was first revealed today via retailer Ryan Higgins’ Twitter account.
The hardcover would have collected the entire 24-chapter 1940’s Golden Age serial introducing Mr. Mind, a genius two-inch worm who joins with the Monster Society of Evil to destroy Captain Marvel. The collection was slated to include essays by Fawcett Comics expert P.C. Hamerlinck and comics historian Michael Uslan.
While the arc is considered a touchstone in comic book history, both from a writing and artistic perspective, it is also a product of its time and, as such, comes with some cultural baggage ...
You can read the rest and see examples of what they're referring to here: https://www.cbr.com/dc-shazam-monster-society-of-evil-canceled/

And, while it's unfortunate DC is deciding this after they had announced plans to reproduce the story, it's sort of understandable (especially with the coming movie next year).
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

SHAZAM!: THE MONSTER SOCIETY OF EVIL DELUXE EDITION cancelled Empty Re: SHAZAM!: THE MONSTER SOCIETY OF EVIL DELUXE EDITION cancelled

Post by Mbast1 on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:15 pm

MajorHoy wrote:And, while it's unfortunate DC is deciding this after they had announced plans to reproduce the story, it's sort of understandable (especially with the coming movie next year).

I saw this. I'm not sure how I feel. I have the WB golden collection of cartoons, and that has a lot of the racism left in. And I'm ok with that, as they make it clear it's how it was done at the time. We shouldn't pretend our history isn't as ugly as it is. But now, especially now, do we really need to make ANY racism acceptable? I don't want them to change it, if they do it, it should be as it was. But I don't know that I think they should publish it.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

SHAZAM!: THE MONSTER SOCIETY OF EVIL DELUXE EDITION cancelled Empty Re: SHAZAM!: THE MONSTER SOCIETY OF EVIL DELUXE EDITION cancelled

Post by MajorHoy on Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:38 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:And, while it's unfortunate DC is deciding this after they had announced plans to reproduce the story, it's sort of understandable (especially with the coming movie next year).
I saw this. I'm not sure how I feel. I have the WB golden collection of cartoons, and that has a lot of the racism left in. And I'm ok with that, as they make it clear it's how it was done at the time. We shouldn't pretend our history isn't as ugly as it is. But now, especially now, do we really need to make ANY racism acceptable? I don't want them to change it, if they do it, it should be as it was. But I don't know that I think they should publish it.
I think the timing of the movie is the big sticking point.
If DC put out a collection of classic Captain Marvel stories at the same time as the Shazam! movie is due out, they run the risk of casual, less knowledgeable potential buyers not realizing what they may be getting if they pick it up.
Better to publish it at a time that is more separated from the movie release to avoid that possible conflict (though it will require warning stickers and such that some of the content is dated/offensive and may not be acceptable if it were first being published in the 21st century). I've also seen suggestions that DC should maybe consider arranging with another publisher (one of those who focus more on historical comic book / comic strip story collections) to release this particular volume.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down