Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy Birthday, Doctor Who Magazine!

3 posters

Go down

Happy Birthday, Doctor Who Magazine! Empty Happy Birthday, Doctor Who Magazine!

Post by tony ingram Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:57 am

Precisely 39 years ago today, the first issue of Marvel UK's Doctor Who Weekly went on sale. It was an immediate hit, not least because of the fantastic Doctor Who strip The Iron Legion by Pat Mills and Dave Gibbons, but it only lasted 43 issues...before becoming Doctor Who Monthly. As Doctor Who Magazine, it's still running today, 39 years and well over 500 issues later (albeit now published by Panini rather than Marvel), the world's longest running periodical dedicated to a TV show, and the strip is still a central part of it!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Happy Birthday, Doctor Who Magazine! Empty Re: Happy Birthday, Doctor Who Magazine!

Post by MajorHoy Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:34 pm

I don't know if we regularly get that over here in the U.S., but happy birthday to them.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Happy Birthday, Doctor Who Magazine! Empty Re: Happy Birthday, Doctor Who Magazine!

Post by tony ingram Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:11 am

MajorHoy wrote:I don't know if we regularly get that over here in the U.S., but happy birthday to them.
I know some comic shops in the US carry it, because I've spoken to a number of Americans who've been buying it for years.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:19 pm

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:I don't know if we regularly get that over here in the U.S., but happy birthday to them.
I know some comic shops in the US carry it, because I've spoken to a number of Americans who've been buying it for years.
It may be one of those things where particular shops may order it (depending on their size and their typical customer base), or if it's at least available if pre-ordered through Diamond's Previewsworld, but off-hand I don't know how widespread it's general availability may be on typical store racks here (as opposed to a copy of Batman or Amazing Spider-Man).
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:21 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
It may be one of those things where particular shops may order it (depending on their size and their typical customer base), or if it's at least available if pre-ordered through Diamond's Previewsworld, but off-hand I don't know how widespread it's general availability may be on typical store racks here (as opposed to a copy of Batman or Amazing Spider-Man).
Much the same as 2000 AD then, I guess...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:08 pm

tony ingram wrote:I know some comic shops in the US carry it, because I've spoken to a number of Americans who've been buying it for years.

I see it in my LCS often. I'm sure they get it each month.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:10 am

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I know some comic shops in the US carry it, because I've spoken to a number of Americans who've been buying it for years.

Aha, so some shops simply have better taste than others! Very Happy
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:40 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Mbast1 wrote:
Aha, so some shops simply have better taste than others! Very Happy
I don't know if it's so much "taste" as it might be clientele . . . may also depend on where the store is located (i.e. in a decent-size city and/or near a large college). For me, if I wanted to see if a store carried that, I might assume ones in New York City or even New Haven here in Connecticut (where there's Yale and other universities) would be places to check. The comic book shop I go to may even get a copy or two, but I rarely am there on Wednesdays, so who (no pun intended) knows?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:48 pm

Whereabouts are you in relation to large cities I might have heard of? Sorry, American geography is not my strong point...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:22 am

tony ingram wrote:Whereabouts are you in relation to large cities I might have heard of? Sorry, American geography is not my strong point...
About an hour outside New York City (I'm northeast of the city), and as for New Haven (I'm assuming you might have heard of Yale University?), that's maybe 45 minutes east of me (depending on traffic). There are some other cities closer to me (like Bridgeport and Stamford), but not as well-known if you're not from the area.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:20 am

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Whereabouts are you in relation to large cities I might have heard of? Sorry, American geography is not my strong point...
About an hour outside New York City (I'm northeast of the city), and as for New Haven (I'm assuming you might have heard of Yale University?), that's maybe 45 minutes east of me (depending on traffic). There are some other cities closer to me (like Bridgeport and Stamford), but not as well-known if you're not from the area.
Thanks, that helps! I've heard of Yale but not of New Haven. But "north east of New York" paints a picture....
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:36 pm

tony ingram wrote: . . . But "north east of New York" paints a picture....
If you see the state of Connecticut on a map, I'm in the southwest section of the state, not too far inland from the coast line. (Maybe 20 minutes or so?)
By the way, down in my part of the state we're not directly on the Atlantic Ocean; we're along an estuary called the Long Island Sound. (Long Island in New York actually is between us and the ocean itself.)

Happy Birthday, Doctor Who Magazine! Long-island-sound
The point marked on this map that I live closest to is Norwalk
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:44 pm

We are also on an estuary, the Orwell to be precise! Shotley, my home of about seventeen years, is on a peninsula that reaches out into the North Sea between the estuaries of the Orwell and the Stour.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:52 pm

tony ingram wrote:We are also on an estuary, the Orwell to be precise! Shotley, my home of about seventeen years, is on a peninsula that reaches out into the North Sea between the estuaries of the Orwell and the Stour.
Here?

Happy Birthday, Doctor Who Magazine! Shotle10

And, is there really a "Horsey Island"? Shocked

Happy Birthday, Doctor Who Magazine! 1355
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:26 am

Hey, you found us! Not bad, considering most of the population of the UK has no idea about anything east of Essex... Very Happy
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down