Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Other TV shows apart from Dr Who.

+12
codywillis1
Phil Friel
Mbast1
martinsteinrip
MR X
Sandhopper
Hourglass
felneymike
kembel
GBF
tony ingram
alanultron5
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Other TV shows apart from Dr Who. - Page 2 Empty Re: Other TV shows apart from Dr Who.

Post by Mbast1 Tue May 08, 2012 6:47 pm

It's not so much television, although that's how it started out, but has anyone listened to the Tomorrow People audios? I have one I got off Ebay, and it was good, but expensive. I just wonder if the rest would be worth the cost.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Other TV shows apart from Dr Who. - Page 2 Empty Re: Other TV shows apart from Dr Who.

Post by tony ingram Tue May 08, 2012 7:05 pm

I have all of the original TP shows on DVD but so far I haven't tried the audios; Doctor Who, Sapphire & Steel and Blake's 7 yes, but not the TP. I keep meaning to, but I've never gotten around to it. Anyone else?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Friel Tue May 08, 2012 9:41 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Phil Friel wrote:I had to buy Sky from an Amazon seller. Neither it nor Timeslip are available on Network DVD.
Ah. They used to be, but their catalogue does fluctuate. Still, at least you found it!

Both of them are available only via Amazon sellers, not on the main site itself. So I'm assuming that both have been deleted from the normal publishing channels and are available only from Amazon sellers who still happen to have a few in stock.

I managed to grab a new copy of Sky for £20. Timeslip is a bit more expensive from the Amazon sellers, coming in at £50 and rising new, but starting off at £25 used. I better grab a copy pronto before they disappear altogether.

Phil Friel

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Friel Tue May 08, 2012 9:46 pm

I'd most definitely be interested in those TP audios. I'm a big fan of the Old Time Radio serials so even the more modern audio series should also be pretty much up my alley.

Phil Friel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue May 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Phil Friel wrote:I'd most definitely be interested in those TP audios. I'm a big fan of the Old Time Radio serials so even the more modern audio series should also be pretty much up my alley.

I am also a fan of those. The Great Gildersleeve, Fibber McGee and Molly, Jack Benny, Blue Beetle, and more. I love them. And, as I said, the first TP audio is good. I just thought it was expensive, and want to know if it's worth the money for the rest.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue May 08, 2012 11:11 pm

tony ingram wrote:I have all of the original TP shows on DVD

I have what I think is a full set. I bought them from Amazon, and it was supposed to be. I even have a couple of the novels. Really fun stuff. I didn't much get into the 90's remake, just not the same feel. The audio follows on the older show, so that's why I want them.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed May 09, 2012 7:51 am

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I have all of the original TP shows on DVD

I have what I think is a full set. I bought them from Amazon, and it was supposed to be. I even have a couple of the novels. Really fun stuff. I didn't much get into the 90's remake, just not the same feel. The audio follows on the older show, so that's why I want them.
I remember the 90s remake. I thought it was awful, it had none of the charm of the original series. And where was TIM?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu May 10, 2012 3:19 pm

tony ingram wrote:I remember the 90s remake. I thought it was awful, it had none of the charm of the original series. And where was TIM?

Yeah, I just couldn't connect to it. It seems that the intended audience of 90s kids didn't either. It just didn't seem all that interesting. Some of them are on Youtube, and I've tried to watch, but it's just boring.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu May 10, 2012 5:54 pm

I think the seventies and early eighties were a golden era for kids' TV in Britain, really. There were so many shows that still hold up really well today-but what has been produced since then that stands up as well? Not much...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Friel Fri May 11, 2012 5:08 am

tony ingram wrote:I think the seventies and early eighties were a golden era for kids' TV in Britain, really. There were so many shows that still hold up really well today-but what has been produced since then that stands up as well? Not much...

Total agreement. Modern kids' TV is so dumbed-down, patronizing and condescending that I feel sorry for the modern generation of young TV viewers. The classic shows of the 1970s and 1980s were much more sophisticated, and are are really more "all-ages" television, as adults can watch them as easily as kids.

Both the Sky DVD and the Timeslip boxset arrived from Amazon today. I'll leave watching them until Sunday, which is the next quiet day that I'll have. I've waited forty years to see Timeslip again, and only several years less than that for Sky. Another two or three days won't kill me. Smile

Phil Friel

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri May 11, 2012 7:28 am

I think despite their budgetary restrictions, both those shows are still great science fiction. It's just a shame Timeslip is mostly in black & white now because they wiped the colour masters.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Friel Fri May 11, 2012 5:49 pm

tony ingram wrote:I think despite their budgetary restrictions, both those shows are still great science fiction. It's just a shame Timeslip is mostly in black & white now because they wiped the colour masters.

Black and white doesn't bother me at all, but I'd have liked to have seen the colour version, as I've never seen Timeslip in colour. We only had a b&w telly back in 1970/71 (didn't get colour until 1974), and I haven't seen seen Timeslip again since then. So the DVD will be how I remember it - in b&w. Smile

Phil Friel

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri May 11, 2012 8:26 pm

Try 1981...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Friel Sat May 12, 2012 3:23 am

tony ingram wrote:1974.

Try 1981...

You poor soul. 1981 was quite late in the day. I thought we were bad enough waiting until 1974.

Phil Friel

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:55 am

Buffy. X Files. Twin Peaks. Avengers. Jonathan Creek. That 70s Show. Community, of late.
codywillis1
codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:15 am

I'm currently watching Neil Gaiman's 'Neverwhere' for the first time. It's rather startling to realize I've lived in ignorance of it for so long.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:25 am

Have you read the book?
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:54 am

Lucy McGough wrote:Have you read the book?
I read the book years ago (though I don't remember much about it), but seeing it on screen is a revelation, so far at least.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:52 pm

tony ingram wrote:I'm currently watching Neil Gaiman's 'Neverwhere' for the first time. It's rather startling to realize I've lived in ignorance of it for so long.

I've heard of it, but have never seen it.

On another note, I got a couple more of the TP audios. Really good, so yes, they're worth it.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Philip K Ditko Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:08 pm

My favourite show from the 70s is probably the Water Margin, and I'm currently watching the first series of David Carradine in Kung Fu on DVD.
Philip K Ditko
Philip K Ditko

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:16 pm

Tenuous comic link, here: oddly enough, I recently bought a job lot of old Brown-Watson annuals which included a Kung Fu one! 1974, I think. Some material by Steve Moore.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Philip K Ditko Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:49 pm

I didn't know about that one. I was never a big Steve Moore fan, though. There were also Kung Fu strips in Look-In, with artwork by Martin Asbury.

Other classic tv shows I like include a Very Peculiar Practice, the Singing Detective, Boys From the Blackstuff, the Monocled Mutineer, Thriller, the Sweeney, Gangsters, Budgie, Charles Endell Esq, Shoestring, Big Deal, Roots, Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy, the Night Stalker, the Rockford Files, the Crow Road, Hill Street Blues and Murder One.
Philip K Ditko
Philip K Ditko

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:08 pm

I remember most of those, but the first three in particular are favourites of mine which I've tracked down on DVD. Boys from the Blackstuff was incredible at the time, not the kind of thing I could ever remember seeing on TV before (admittedly, I was in my teens...). I also loved GBH, which came a few years later. And, on the Dennis Potter front, Blackeyes and Lipstick on Your Collar.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalekbuster523 Wed May 01, 2013 4:52 pm

My favourite TV show excluding Doctor Who is Saturday Night Takeaway. I love it. Great variety, two fantastic presenters and all round great entertainment.
Dalekbuster523
Dalekbuster523

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed May 01, 2013 5:12 pm

Hello, DB! Didn't notice you turn up! Very Happy
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalekbuster523 Wed May 01, 2013 8:45 pm

tony ingram wrote:Hello, DB! Didn't notice you turn up! Very Happy
Yeah, I joined after you mentioned your site on Planet Mondas.

Love it!
Dalekbuster523
Dalekbuster523

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed May 01, 2013 9:03 pm

That's two of you in one day. Things are looking up!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:33 am

On BBC America they were showing the Top Gear episode "The Race Across London", which featured a competition between a car, a bike, a speedboat and public transportation. Guess how the car fared in making it across London in traffic.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:31 am

I'm guessing the speedboat won and the car and public transport came nowhere.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:33 am

Hmm... I'd be rooting for the bike.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:02 am

tony ingram wrote:I'm guessing the speedboat won and the car and public transport came nowhere.
Lucy McGough wrote:Hmm... I'd be rooting for the bike.
Spoiler . . . see a summary at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_Races#London_Race_-_Car_vs._Bicycle_vs._Boat_vs._Public_Transport_-_Distance_17_miles.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:28 am

W00t!
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:33 pm

Saw this about a promotional photo for Season 5 of Downton Abbey:

Other TV shows apart from Dr Who. - Page 2 __down10
Either the Crawleys have found a time machine, or someone on the Downton Abbey staff just messed up, big time.

In a new promotional photo for the upcoming Season 5 of PBS's Emmy-winning period drama, a very modern water bottle can be seen in the background behind stars Hugh Bonneville (Lord Grantham) and Laura Carmichael (Lady Edith). Look on the mantel just to the right of Edith's shoulder, and you'll see it . . .
https://tv.yahoo.com/photos/pbs-downton-abbey-season-5-slideshow/

And by the way, had you folks seen the video from a year or so ago where Sean Combs ("Puff Daddy" and numerous other names) was joining "Downtown Abbey"?

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/0e51d4c3f6/downton-diddy
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:28 pm

MajorHoy wrote:Saw this about a promotional photo for Season 5 of Downton Abbey:

Interestingly, they have used the publicity from this gaffe to promote a water charity. Nice job, I think.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:18 pm

That's up there with the toy Batmobile on Dr Litefoot's sideboard in The Talons of Weng Chiang... Razz 
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2