Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is it always 'Captain' something?

5 posters

Go down

Why is it always 'Captain' something? Empty Why is it always 'Captain' something?

Post by tony ingram Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:24 am

Well, not always 'Captain', but I was musing on this yesterday and mentioned it to Glenn so I thought I'd share my puzzlement: Captain America, Captain Britain, Captain Marvel, Captain Triumph, are you seeing what I'm getting at here? Then there's good old General Jumbo, Major Victory, and on the side of the black hats we have Colonel Computron, Major Disaster and Captain Nazi, among others. So, why do these guys always rather grandly appoint themselves officers? Why are there no lower ranks? There's a Major Disaster, but no Corporal Punishment! There's no angst ridden, shy and withdrawn super villain called Private Pain, and indeed no Inspector Gadget like modular robot called Private Parts. Even Captain Marvel's sidekick was called Captain Marvel Junior, when surely it would have far more logical had he been Cadet Marvel. Are all these people egomaniacs? I bet they aren't even really in the army! Mad

There was a Sgt Strike a few years back. But I'm fairly certain he was only called that because they thought General Strike might sound a bit silly...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Why is it always 'Captain' something? Empty Re: Why is it always 'Captain' something?

Post by Hourglass Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:48 pm

I Think its possible part of the typical American views of what makes a Hero. We all know the USA are besotted with their military heroes and so by giving a character a rank as such it perpetuates the idea of a real American Hero.

To some extent this works for UK too, Commander Bond, Captain Britian etc.

What I want to know is why are a lot of villians Doctors. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a PHD. Youd be found out to be a corrupt bastard in no time and if you did go evil your university would take your PHD off you.
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Why is it always 'Captain' something? Empty Re: Why is it always 'Captain' something?

Post by felneymike Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:24 pm

Not if you went to ...evil university!

felneymike

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:25 pm

Hourglass wrote:I Think its possible part of the typical American views of what makes a Hero. We all know the USA are besotted with their military heroes and so by giving a character a rank as such it perpetuates the idea of a real American Hero.

What I want to know is why are a lot of villians Doctors. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a PHD. Youd be found out to be a corrupt bastard in no time and if you did go evil your university would take your PHD off you.
I'm fairly certain Doctor Doom got expelled from college before getting his doctorate, in fact-so that's the obvious one debunked. Although I guess he could have taken a correspondence course while he was at that monastery in Tibet...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:28 pm

felneymike wrote:Not if you went to ...evil university!
I seem to recall a college for super villains featuring in an old 2000AD Future Shock. Maybe all these evil doctors were graduates? Doctor doom, Doctor Octopus, Doctor Demonicus, Doctor Spectro, Doctor Death and Doctor Destiny may all have been classmates!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:00 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Hourglass wrote:I Think its possible part of the typical American views of what makes a Hero. We all know the USA are besotted with their military heroes and so by giving a character a rank as such it perpetuates the idea of a real American Hero.

I'm fairly certain Doctor Doom got expelled from college before getting his doctorate, in fact-so that's the obvious one debunked. Although I guess he could have taken a correspondence course while he was at that monastery in Tibet...

Maybe he paid for one of those "life experience" PHDs which you can get for £100 online. Very Happy

My university had HAROLD SHIPMAN and gave him his doctorate Very Happy
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:01 pm

tony ingram wrote:
felneymike wrote:Not if you went to ...evil university!
I seem to recall a college for super villains featuring in an old 2000AD Future Shock. Maybe all these evil doctors were graduates? Doctor doom, Doctor Octopus, Doctor Demonicus, Doctor Spectro, Doctor Death and Doctor Destiny may all have been classmates!

See if you can (when you have the time) to find more info on that, I'd be most interested.
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:31 pm

I suppose Doctor Light could have a PhD in optics.

The Mirror Master could have an MSc in the same subject.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:12 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:I suppose Doctor Light could have a PhD in optics.

The Mirror Master could have an MSc in the same subject.
I believe Dr Light actually did have a PHD in his subject. And also, rather conveniently, the surname 'Light'.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:11 pm

That's just cheating. That's not a proper supervillain name at all.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:15 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:That's just cheating. That's not a proper superhero name at all.
Thing is, if you're a doctor and your name is Arthur Light, you're Dr light-and with a name like that, you don't have much option other than to put on a cape and start flying around Manhattan or wherever. I mean, Victor Von Doom was never going to be a chiropractor, was he? And Dr Anthony Druid had little option but to become a warlock. How dumb would he have looked, becoming the GP of Little Bungling in the Marsh with a name like Dr Druid?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:39 pm

Ten Characters who were basically doomed to one particular career from the day they were born

1) Victor Von Doom (Dr Doom)
2) Dr Anthony Ludgate Druid (Dr Druid)
3) Dr Stephen Strange (Dr Strange, Master of the Mystic Arts)
4) Jack Russell (Werewolf by Night)
5) Eddie Nigma (the Riddler)
6) Dr Arthur Light (Dr Light)
7) Scott Free (Mr Miracle the Super Escape Artist)
8 ) Dr Terry Thirteen (Dr 13 the Ghost Breaker)
9) William Zard (the Wizard)
10) Prof. Ira Quimby (Professor I.Q)

and not forgetting my personal favourite, deranged geneticist the High evolutionary, who was apparently christened Herbert Edgar Wyndham...in tribute to HG Wells, Edgar Rice Burroughs and John Wyndham! No wonder he ended up living in a mountain and creating super evolved animal people!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:00 pm

It would all have been all right if they just hadn't bothered to go to university.

On a tangent, does the Martian Manhunter ignore female villains?
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:05 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:It would all have been all right if they just hadn't bothered to go to university.

On a tangent, does the Martian Manhunter ignore female villains?
No, I don't think so-why do you ask?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:17 pm

Well, he's a MANhunter. If he goes after, say, Catwoman, he could be done under the trades descriptions act.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:20 pm

When did this "Captain" trend start?
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:43 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Well, he's a MANhunter. If he goes after, say, Catwoman, he could be done under the trades descriptions act.
Oh God, I walked straight into that one, didn't I... Sad
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:47 pm

Hourglass wrote:When did this "Captain" trend start?
Captain Marvel was probably the first one, back in February 1940 (created to rival Superman), though Captain America had followed by March 1941. By the mid 40s there were a host of bogus Captains flying around-Captain Nazi included!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:54 pm

tony ingram wrote:Oh God, I walked straight into that one, didn't I... Sad
Been a long day? Smile
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:55 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Oh God, I walked straight into that one, didn't I... Sad
Been a long day? Smile
A surprisingly long day. Time to crack open a beer and watch Gene Hunt kicking someone, methinks...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:23 am

tony ingram wrote:Ten Characters who were basically doomed to one particular career from the day they were born

1) Victor Von Doom (Dr Doom)
2) Dr Anthony Ludgate Druid (Dr Druid)
3) Dr Stephen Strange (Dr Strange, Master of the Mystic Arts)
4) Jack Russell (Werewolf by Night) . . .
Shouldn't he have been Terrier-By-Night instead of a werewolf?

Why is it always 'Captain' something? Jack%20russel

(Or else he should have been a parson.)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:38 am

I always liked the absurdity of Russell's name, actually. He could have been a very small werewolf...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:13 pm

Yes, there are no rules about how big werewolves have to be.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:42 am

Lucy McGough wrote:Yes, there are no rules about how big werewolves have to be.
But I don't think a man would suddenly change from a human to a Chihuahua under the full moon.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:07 am

MajorHoy wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:Yes, there are no rules about how big werewolves have to be.
But I don't think a man would suddenly change from a human to a Chihuahua under the full moon.
How about under a quarter Moon?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:44 am

MajorHoy wrote:But I don't think a man would suddenly change from a human to a Chihuahua under the full moon.
There is a problem about what happens to the excess body mass.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:18 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:But I don't think a man would suddenly change from a human to a Chihuahua under the full moon.
There is a problem about what happens to the excess body mass.
Oh, that can also be explained by mystical liposuction or something.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:42 pm

Ewww. That sounds gross  Shocked
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down