Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Last Who You Watched

+11
Sam_Vimes
codywillis1
DocteurQui
BluesShark
freedumbdclxvi
felneymike
alanultron5
Lucy Ingram
GBF
THEDRUNKENMASTERTWO
kembel
15 posters

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

Last Who You Watched - Page 11 Empty Re: Last Who You Watched

Post by tony ingram Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:28 am

There ius that. But I think it's undeniable that in some cases, they got away with stuff simply because viewers would not have picked up on at the time, and now they unquestionably do.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:32 am

Then we'll just have to try and be a bit forgiving.

(Yes, I am aware that this is fandom I'm talking about...)
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by freedumbdclxvi Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:26 pm

tony ingram wrote:I know this will sound insane, but I'm really unsure about the DVD remastering of old black & white stories. Yes, the picture goes from grainy to crystal clear, but in many cases this means we're actually seeing it with a clarity the original TV audience would not have had in the sixties, and as a result are possibly being drawn to see imperfections they would not have noticed because their equipment wouldn't have picked them out. does that make sense...?
No? Forget I spoke... Embarassed

that is an interesting point. thus far, i'm just watching and enjoying the clarity. however, i wonder what (if anything) i will see on future viewings that i never noticed before? hmmm. now my curiosity is piqued!

freedumbdclxvi

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:28 pm

Have you seen the DVD version of The Web Planet? It really did look better on grainy VHS, I think. Much more atmospheric...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freedumbdclxvi Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:39 pm

that's the only version i've seen. i actually haven't seen any who on vhs.

...please be kind...

freedumbdclxvi

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:41 pm

freedumbdclxvi wrote:that's the only version i've seen. i actually haven't seen any who on vhs.
Oh, God. Now I feel old... Crying or Very sad

I still have Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy episodes I videoed in the eighties. They still (mostly) play, too.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freedumbdclxvi Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:44 pm

oh, it's not that i don't remember or have never watched anything on vhs -- i still have quite a few vhs tapes. (though my vcr is no longer working.)

i just came very late into doctor who. this may will only be my second year as a full on fan. (and it wasn't the new series that brought me in. i started with the classic series. it was the years of stories that sorta overwhelmed me for far too long until i decided to just jump on in.) that's why everything i've seen has been on dvd -- due to the fact that i was extremely late to the party.

freedumbdclxvi

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:50 pm

The thing about Doctor Who, I think, is that you can jump in pretty much anywhere and still basically understand what's going on without needing to ask too many questions, as despite certain recurring characters and themes, each era of Who pretty much works on its own. Maybe a little less so in the eighties, but come aboard with Pertwee and you don't really need to know anything about the sixties stuff, for instance, while the Matt Smith era is largely independent of the Eccleston/Tennant stuff.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:24 am

While in some cases I think Tony may have a point about the remasterings, in most cases I disagree. I think the remastered DVDs really helped me to truly appreciate the Hartnell era much more than I ever did on horrible, grainy video, with The Daleks, Dalek Invasion and yes, even The Web Planet among those shooting up massively in my estimation. Now, granted, maybe being a bit older helped too, but the Hartnell era used to be like my least favourite and is now in my top 3.
codywillis1
codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:31 pm

Just been watching Nightmare of Eden with the DVD commentary on. Lalla Ward has just announced that modern Doctor Who fans have no sense of humour and get irritated if anything funny is included. Don't you just love Lalla?

She's right about one thing, though. The Mandrels do look like Abba's backing singers.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:18 pm

What did you put the commentary on for? You know you don't like Lalla.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:19 pm

No, but I like being able to indulge in hating her.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:57 pm

Yeah, I bet you just loathe Romana's long blonde hair, petite figure and girlish, heart-shaped face... Rolling Eyes
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:08 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Yeah, I bet you just loathe Romana's long blonde hair, petite figure and girlish, heart-shaped face... Rolling Eyes
No, I like all of that. And, indeed, her penchant for school uniforms and sailor suits. What I loathe is Lalla the smug, superior, condescending bitch. Once a woman passes a certain age, a girlish figure ceases to excuse such things.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:22 pm

Maybe Richard 'All Christians are thick or evil or both' Dawkins is contagious Shocked
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:42 am

Oh, I don't know. If GB was a fair indication, I'd say it's a fair point that a LOT of Who fans have no sense of humour. Wink
codywillis1
codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:34 am

codywillis1 wrote:Oh, I don't know. If GB was a fair indication, I'd say it's a fair point that a LOT of Who fans have no sense of humour. Wink
But still infinitely more than Lalla Ward.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:21 am

Saw The Face of Evil the other day. Very good, with a great SF concept, performances and much quotable dialogue. The first half is superior to the second, though; its somewhat unfortunate to lose the tremendously well realised and hugely atmospheric jungle setting for boring spaceship corridors in rhe second half. The Tesh are a bit irritating too.

I love the bit where Tom kicks the vicious little Horta creature onto the back of the guy who hits Leela. It's the sheer CASUALNESS of how he does it too that makes it so both magnificently badass and laugh out loud funny!
codywillis1
codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:34 am

Actually, while it is funny, that scene's always bothered me a bit. Basically chucking a Piranha at someone seems a little too violent for the Doctor., particularly since it wasn't even a matter of self defence.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:18 am

I love it. Yet more evidence that the Doctor has never been this lily-livered wuss that fan lore has somehow turned him into. Wink
codywillis1
codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:24 am

codywillis1 wrote:I love it. Yet more evidence that the Doctor has never been this lily-livered wuss that fan lore has somehow turned him into. Wink
The first Doctor repeatedly clobbering people with a shovel in The Reign of Terror pretty much proved that, but it's not quite as nasty as the Horda incident.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:44 am

The First Doctor also went one-on-one with a Roman assassin... and won. Not bad for an 800-year-old!
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:51 am

Lucy McGough wrote:The First Doctor also went one-on-one with a Roman assassin... and won. Not bad for an 800-year-old!
He couldn't have been 800. The second Doctor was only 450 in Tomb of the Cybermen, though the fourth had reached 756 by the time he was travelling with Romana. Cool
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:14 am

Nerd.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by DocteurQui Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:26 am

Hi all, I'm new to the forum but may know some of you from other forums.

The most recent Who I watched was The Daemons (after threatening to buy and watch is for years) which was bought for me. I know its one of those highly held stories and it was good, I just didn't think it was outstanding. Maybe I'd built it up too much!

DocteurQui

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:33 am

I think that tends to happen with the supposedly acknowledged classics; you go in with very high expectations which the story has no hope of meeting. It was much the same for many fans when Tomb of the Cybermen was rediscovered and released on video in the early nineties; this mythical epic was suddenly revealed as being just another low budget sci-fi story. It takes another viewing before you can start to appreciate it for what it is rather than what it was rumoured to be.

Mind you, I've never been overly keen on the Pertwee era, myself. It always strikes me as slightly at odds with what Doctor Who is all about...

Welcome, by the way. Another familiar username.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DocteurQui Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:48 am

tony ingram wrote:I think that tends to happen with the supposedly acknowledged classics; you go in with very high expectations which the story has no hope of meeting. It was much the same for many fans when Tomb of the Cybermen was rediscovered and released on video in the early nineties; this mythical epic was suddenly revealed as being just another low budget sci-fi story. It takes another viewing before you can start to appreciate it for what it is rather than what it was rumoured to be.

Mind you, I've never been overly keen on the Pertwee era, myself. It always strikes me as slightly at odds with what Doctor Who is all about...

Welcome, by the way. Another familiar username.

Thanks Tony

I agree, I thought this about Tomb also, it was ok but I went in with some higher than normal expectations,again with Inferno, it was an exellent story but possibly two episodes too long as I felt it dragged for while. The only story of the original trio I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish, was The Invasion.

DocteurQui

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:13 am

Same here. On the other hand, when I finally saw The Gunfighters, long considered by fan wisdom to be the worst Doctor Who story ever, after going in with low expectations I was surprised to find myself thoroughly enjoying it. I can still happily while away a Sunday afternoon with that story, while I find several more highly regarded ones a chore to watch.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 Sat May 05, 2012 9:24 am

I find The Daemons (and a few other supposed "classics" like Autons and Morbius) pretty unwatchable, in truth!

Saw Spearhead from Space the other day. Now that IS class.
codywillis1
codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat May 05, 2012 9:33 am

I think Morbius is great just because of Solon's dialogue.

"You chicken brained biological disaster"...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 Mon May 14, 2012 9:37 am

Nightmare of Eden. Okay, but nothing special.
codywillis1
codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon May 14, 2012 9:49 am

Nightmare of Eden is actually one of my favourite stories from the later Tom Bakers, mostly because of Lewis Fiander's hilarious performance as Tryst. He has the best accent since Zaroff!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:58 am

Saw 2 Who stories over the weekend. Saw The Happiness Patrol again on Saturday. Something of a mixed bag, but plenty to enjoy. The Kandy Man is a fabulously bonkers creation and Dominic Glynn's score (as writer Graeme Curry and script editor Andrew Cartmel note in the making of documentary) is absolutely fantastic - wonderfully appropriate and atmospheric and almost DannyElfmanTimBurtonmovieesque. Sylv and Soph are also on form, with Sylv having some terrific scenes - he's charming and funny and mercurial but he can turn on cold and sinister with great effect; the bit where he forces the sniper to back down by getting in his face and telling him to look him in the eye while he kills him is brilliant, and there's that wonderfully near-sinister moment with Ace when she goes mental at the callous Patrol guard and he grabs her and tells her to calm down because "you're no good to me like this". Fab.
On the downside, the lack of budget often shows (though the Kandy Kitchen set is fantastic, like something out of a fairytale) and it feels a little rushed as a 3 parter when another ep would have let the story and characters breathe a little more. It's a shame they didn't go the whole film noir skewed angle route too, as the director wanted to. Still, enjoyable.
The extras on the dvd were great too. There's an excellent 45 minute doco about politics in DW and the making of is fab too, with some lovely rare behind the scenes footage on the set. Splendid.

Saw The Sun Makers again on Sunday night. Long been a fave though for some reason I started watching it late on last year and turned it off. Clearly I just wasn't in the mood, as I watched it again last year and thoroughly enjoyed it all over again. Smart, satirical and funny, with Tom and Louise Jameson as Leela on top form, and a great turn from Henry Woolf as the 'orrible troll-like Collector.
codywillis1
codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:17 am

The Happiness Patrol is a story I absolutely hated when it first aired (it just seemed so silly, and at 17 I was desperate for Doctor Who to be taken seriously) but it's grown on me since then. It's actually a very clever story, I think, and the Kandyman is actually pretty sinister (though the scenes with him getting instantly immobilised by lemonade are still just daft).

My most recent rewatch, though, was Image of the Fendahl, last night. I'd had a bit of a bad day and nothing is guaranteed to cheer me up like a bit of Tom and Louise...

tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesShark Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:27 pm

Watched The Deamons a few days ago. Not seen it since first broadcast and despite some very dodgy special effects and what Terrance Dicks rightly points out is an illogical ending of grand proportions thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.

Always enjoy watching Roger Delgado (makes Simm look like a chump) and it does feature the Brig's best ever line of dialogue. I was also struck by the odd 'Wickeresque' atmosphere of much it, which never hurts in my book as Wicker Man is one iof my ten favourite movies. (It occurs to me that The Visitation would have benefitted from taking a lead from Blood on Satan's Claw...)

Next up Two Doctors which I had never realised until watching the docs on Sontaran Experiment (also watched recently - great fun) was filmed in Seville, a city which holds a special place in my heart.

Last edited by BluesShark on Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
BluesShark
BluesShark

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:38 pm

BluesShark wrote:It occurs to me that The Visitation would have benefitted from taking a lead from Blood on Satan's Claw...
What, you reckon it would have been improved by the sight of Adric being raped and then brutally murdered by a Terileptil? Shocked

Though, come to think of it...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:56 am

The last Doctor Who I saw was Peter Cushing - yesterday! "Doctor Who and the Daleks", with Roy Castle, Roverta Tovey and Jennie Linden. And those Thalls were VERY gay. It was awful, but great to see after so much time (no pun intended). The really sad thing is this: I went to the pictures to see this film back in 1965 as a nipper. Yep - I said 'pictures', not the cinema. We used to say "The flicks" too. But that's another story!
GBF
GBF

http://www.glennbfleming.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:57 am

Also - shame about the bird who died.
GBF
GBF

http://www.glennbfleming.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:04 am

GBF wrote:The last Doctor Who I saw was Peter Cushing - yesterday! "Doctor Who and the Daleks", with Roy Castle, Roverta Tovey and Jennie Linden. And those Thalls were VERY gay. It was awful, but great to see after so much time (no pun intended). The really sad thing is this: I went to the pictures to see this film back in 1965 as a nipper. Yep - I said 'pictures', not the cinema. We used to say "The flicks" too. But that's another story!
I always think the Thals in that film could have had a great future as a dance act on Top of the Tops a few years later (or they could have, if Dyoni hadn't seemingly been the only girl!). But yeah, it's still great stuff, just for being so unintentionally hilarious. I preferred the sequel with Bernard Cribbins, though.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:06 am

GBF wrote:Also - shame about the bird who died.
In memory of Mary Tamm, I watched The Androids of Tara over the weekend. Mary got to play three parts: Romana, Romana's robot double and local Royalty who coincidentally looks exactly like Romana. Definitely her strongest story!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:47 am

The Krotons. Passable. Troughton doco was good. Wendy Padbury looks pretty good for her age, you can still see cute little Zoe in there. Deborah Watling looks more like a monster than a companion these days....
codywillis1
codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:37 am

Poor Debs. It is a sad fact that while we males mature with age like a fine wine, females merely ripen. Like cheese. Razz
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:10 pm

Yeah, we get a bit mouldy and start to smell Very Happy
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:14 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Yeah, we get a bit mouldy and start to smell Very Happy
Oh, you've met my Great Aunt Clara, then? Very Happy
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesShark Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:15 pm

Had a bit of a Who marathon yesterday.

Day of the Daleks - I like this. I think the plot structure is clever and although some of the direction is woeful I think it's a good solid piece of Who.
Robot - Dodgy SFX but it's Tom Baker so there wasn't a lot could go wrong really. Fascinating extras as well.
Sea Devils - one of my favourites from when I was a kid. And it still is. Fencing, Delgado at his best, lots of machines fro JP to play with and some great locations.

I'll gloss over a third abortive attempt to watch Revelation of the Daleks as third copy of the disk has looping problems 15 minutes in. I think I'll not bother with another one.
BluesShark
BluesShark

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:34 pm

I've not heard of any problems generally speaking with that DVD. Did you buy them all from the same place?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesShark Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:08 pm

Nope. Three different locations - two second hand (albeit the same chain of second hand shops) and this latest one from Amazon. I'm told by my friend in Derby that it's a notorious disc and the fault is/was in the manufacturing process. Obviously discs from that faulty batch are still 'in the system'.
BluesShark
BluesShark

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Ah. My copy is in the Davros boxset. That one seems fine...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:31 am

Yes, Revelation was a screw-up, though it doesn't happen on all players. It did the same on one of my dvd players the last-time-but-one I saw it. It's really annoying. I recall transferring it to another player and it didn't do it, but then started doing other weird things like sending the screen really dark on a regular basis. Really mucked up my enjoyment of it that time.

It was alright on the new player I watched it on last time, though, thankfully.
codywillis1
codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesShark Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:38 pm

Useful to know that Cody, thanks for the tip. I won't return the one I have here but hang on to it until the dvd player gets renewed, which will happen before I run out of Who (or something else) to watch anyway

He couldn't have been 800. The second Doctor was only 450 in Tomb of the Cybermen, though the fourth had reached 756 by the time he was travelling with Romana.

And he has 'a couple of thousand years' experience in The Silurians, which I've just watched - as Dicks admitted, some of the continuity got away from them a bit (and frankly a strict adherence to continuity in the form of Ian Levine didn't make JNT's run one whit better in dramatic terms). It's a good solid story, with some important stuff to say but it does drag in the middle, as Terrance Dicks admits nearly all the 6/7 parters did.

Web Planet, Time Meddler, Invasion of Time, Robots of Death on the slate, as well as Two Doctors and Warriors on the Cheap if I can bring myself to watch it again. I've thought about it - nah, life's too short to ever watch Warriors on the Cheap again.
BluesShark
BluesShark

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next