Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comics to TV: from Batman to Smallville and Beyond

+4
felneymike
Hourglass
Spiff_B
tony ingram
8 posters

Go down

Comics to TV: from Batman to Smallville and Beyond Empty Comics to TV: from Batman to Smallville and Beyond

Post by tony ingram Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:34 am

Why, when we already have a comics-to-film thread? Well, just because it was asked for! Actually, my own favourite Comics to TV adaptations as a kid probably weren't Batman, or the Incredible Hulk, or Spider-Man, or even the lovely Lynda in Wonder Woman, but the animated adventures of the Super Friends (and, indeed, the comic book adaptation of the show, a truly innovative piece of reverse engineering at the time)! Cheesy, simplistic and chock full of mediocre villains (yes, Menagerie Man, I'm looking at you) but unmissable all the same. I was probably the only kid in the world who actually wanted to be Marvin...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Comics to TV: from Batman to Smallville and Beyond Empty Re: Comics to TV: from Batman to Smallville and Beyond

Post by Spiff_B Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:40 am

I'm not a fan of comic-based movies but watch quite a few TV series, often because they're cartoons and closed to the original medium.

Live action, The Incredible Hulk was my favourite TV programme as a child. I've bought mosts of the DVDs (currently watching series 2) and it holds up quite well viewed in adulthood.

I liked the Flash live action series, haven't bought the DVD yet.

I've liked all the Spider-Man cartoon series, currently on series 1 of the 90s series, having watched and his Amazing Friends series 1 last year. The 1960s Spider-Man cartoon score massively on the Nostalgometer but I haven't got any of the DVDs yet.

Been watching the 90s X-Men cartoon on DVD, plus cartoon series that later spawned comics (Thundercats and Transformers).

I've never seen any Super Friends cartoons, though am well aware of it from references in Wizard and Toyfare magazines.
Spiff_B
Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Comics to TV: from Batman to Smallville and Beyond Empty Re: Comics to TV: from Batman to Smallville and Beyond

Post by tony ingram Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:54 am

Super Friends had several different incarnations over the years: Super Friends, The All-New super Friends, Challenge of the Super Friends and Super Friends: the Legendary Super Powers Show. For me, though, the originals were the best.

Comics to TV: from Batman to Smallville and Beyond Super_Friends
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:59 am

In terms of live action comics-to-TV, fond as I am of the Lynda Carter version, I still have a soft spot for the 1974 Wonder Woman TV movie starring Cathy Lee Crosby. Aside from anything else, it had Ricardo Montalban as the villain! You can never have too much Montalban...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:07 pm

tony ingram wrote:Super Friends had several different incarnations over the years: Super Friends, The All-New super Friends, Challenge of the Super Friends and Super Friends: the Legendary Super Powers Show. For me, though, the originals were the best.

Comics to TV: from Batman to Smallville and Beyond Super_Friends

I still find Aquaman to be utterly useless Very Happy
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:14 pm

Hourglass wrote:

I still find Aquaman to be utterly useless Very Happy
Oh come on, HG! Without Aquaman, who would we have to protect us from...er...undersea crime.

Well, there must be some undersea crime...

Anyway, someone obviously liked him: he was one of only five superheroes to be in continuous publication from the end of the Golden Age through to the beginning of the Silver Age (the others being Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Green Arrow).
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiff_B Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:51 pm

tony ingram wrote:You can never have too much Montalban...
True enough!

Had a bit of look for Super Friends DVDs last year but could only find newer series, not the originals that I'd like to try.
Spiff_B
Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:59 pm

Spiff_B wrote:
tony ingram wrote:You can never have too much Montalban...
True enough!

Had a bit of look for Super Friends DVDs last year but could only find newer series, not the originals that I'd like to try.
They have been released, I know, but not yet in Britain as far as I'm aware. I've been looking out for them myself. I much prefer the older animations to the post 1990 stuff. Batman the Animated Series and its various follow ups seemed to usher in a new age of cartoons which, while technically excellent, were rather grim and not much fun a lot of the time. I was almost reduced to wishing for the return of Bat-Mite!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiff_B Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:52 pm

Would this be the one to get? Superfriends series 1 vol 1 link
Spiff_B
Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:35 pm

Spiff_B wrote:Would this be the one to get? Superfriends series 1 vol 1 link
Yup, that's the first one! But it's only Region 1... Sad
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by felneymike Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:30 pm

A surprising number of DVD players will be able to play region 1, actually.

In fact the cheaper is usually the better! When they first started getting cheap i got one for #50 (average price at the time was around #200, then plummeted) as a joint christmas present for my parents, which plays pretty much anything you put in it (and i used to collect all sorts of obscure horror movies from dubiously-legal websites)

Anyway i have vague memories of old barely-animated Captain America and Iron Man shows - Captain America was, i beleive, WW2 based, and Iron Man was cold war based. I remember a Russian making himself into Titanium Man.

felneymike

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:40 pm

felneymike wrote:A surprising number of DVD players will be able to play region 1, actually.

In fact the cheaper is usually the better! When they first started getting cheap i got one for #50 (average price at the time was around #200, then plummeted) as a joint christmas present for my parents, which plays pretty much anything you put in it (and i used to collect all sorts of obscure horror movies from dubiously-legal websites)

Anyway i have vague memories of old barely-animated Captain America and Iron Man shows - Captain America was, i beleive, WW2 based, and Iron Man was cold war based. I remember a Russian making himself into Titanium Man.
I think you're thinking of the classic sixties animations, which basically part animated the original comic artwork: I still have some of the Captain America ones on VHS. A really original idea, though whether it worked or not is very much a matter of opinion. About the most memorable thing about them for me were the theme songs:
When Captain America throws his mighty shield
all those who've chose to oppose his shield must yield!

Thanks for the info on the DVDs, I'm a complete dunce when it comes to technology. I'll check my player, and if it seems OK I might invest in that Super Friends set...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:42 pm

Just been looking for some visual representation of the Cathy Crosby Wonder Woman...

Comics to TV: from Batman to Smallville and Beyond Wonder_Woman_-_Crosby

...and I came across this oddity: stills from 'Who's Afraid of Diana Prince', the mercifully never transmitted pilot for the proposed 1967 Wonder Woman TV show from Batman producer William Dozier! A narrow escape that this never got off the ground, methinks...

Comics to TV: from Batman to Smallville and Beyond WhosAfraidOfDianaPrince

The more sharp eyed will note that Wonder Woman is played by none other than Planet of the Apes sex bomb Linda Harrison!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiff_B Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:25 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Surely most players are multi-region these days? £14 is a bargain.

PS. Just noticed Felneymike replied to this. Buy it anyway and if it doesn't play, you're sure to know someone who can.
Spiff_B
Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:35 pm

One comic series I wish they made more TV episodes of is Spy Vs Spy. I always loved it, though have found it hard to get hold of these days, I wonder if it's still in print. I have some of the games from the series too.
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:37 pm

Spiff_B wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
Surely most players are multi-region these days? £14 is a bargain.

PS. Just noticed Felneymike replied to this. Buy it anyway and if it doesn't play, you're sure to know someone who can.

I know how to unlock many of these. If you like PM me your Player details, model number and manufacturer and I'll see if I have the unlock details.
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiff_B Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:42 pm

Hourglass wrote:One comic series I wish they made more TV episodes of is Spy Vs Spy. I always loved it, though have found it hard to get hold of these days, I wonder if it's still in print. I have some of the games from the series too.
I'm quite familiar with the computer games, have seen a few strips, but didn't even know there was a cartoon.
Spiff_B
Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:44 pm

Oh yes Very Happy
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiff_B Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:39 am

Great stuff! Thanks Hourglass!
Spiff_B
Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by felneymike Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:08 pm

Heh, i saw a short comic strip posted on some other forum once called "Spy VS Spy VS Aliens VS Predator", which was pretty funny.

felneymike

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:09 pm

felneymike wrote:Heh, i saw a short comic strip posted on some other forum once called "Spy VS Spy VS Aliens VS Predator", which was pretty funny.
That sounds...intriguing. Any idea who drew it?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by felneymike Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:12 pm

Nah i just saw it in a "funny pictures" thread somewhere, i'll try and google image it.

aha: http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/zz5b04ac02.jpg

felneymike

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:15 am

tony ingram wrote:Just been looking for some visual representation of the Cathy Crosby Wonder Woman...

Comics to TV: from Batman to Smallville and Beyond Wonder_Woman_-_Crosby

Comics to TV: from Batman to Smallville and Beyond Wwa1
Comics to TV: from Batman to Smallville and Beyond 480
Comics to TV: from Batman to Smallville and Beyond Cathyleecros
Comics to TV: from Batman to Smallville and Beyond Hqdefault
Comics to TV: from Batman to Smallville and Beyond WonderWoman74
Comics to TV: from Batman to Smallville and Beyond 1974+Wonder+Woman+%25282%2529
Comics to TV: from Batman to Smallville and Beyond Paradisediana
Comics to TV: from Batman to Smallville and Beyond WW74_005
Comics to TV: from Batman to Smallville and Beyond Wonder10

MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:56 am

I really liked that one. It was like acomics adaptation of the Diana Prince, non costumed adventurer period. I didn't even mind Crosby being blonde.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:35 am

"Let's smear Vaseline all over the screen and throw in tons of dry ice so they won't realise we're actually in a studio" Very Happy
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:14 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:"Let's smear Vaseline all over the screen and throw in tons of dry ice so they won't realise we're actually in a studio" Very Happy
Don't forget, that show is older than you . . . respect your elders.  Wink 
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:15 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:"Let's smear Vaseline all over the screen and throw in tons of dry ice so they won't realise we're actually in a studio" Very Happy
Don't forget, that show is older than you . . . respect your elders.  Wink 
I have t-shirts older than Lucy... Razz 
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:25 pm

Yeah, but my dad could beat up your dad Razz

Actually, he totally couldn't.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:46 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Yeah, but my dad could beat up your dad Razz

And we're back to Frankie Boyle...
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:08 pm

Sorry Embarassed
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:26 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Sorry Embarassed

Not a problem, as I said, I like him.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by karatattoo Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:43 pm

I have a bad attitude that is older than Lucy.

Back in the day I was an angry young man. Nowadays I'm just an angry old fart!!
karatattoo
karatattoo

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:29 am

Which is totally understandable, given the state of the world...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down