Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Commando!!

+5
ramonschenk
MLP*
THEDRUNKENMASTERTWO
GBF
felneymike
9 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Commando!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Commando!!

Post by tony ingram Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:26 pm

I just can't get to grips with te idea of digital, I'm a collector by nature so I need my physical 'stuff'. I appreciate that it's probably useful if you can't get access to the real thing, but we're pretty lucky in that regard-WH Smiths in Ipswich, and ASDA, and a numer of smaller outlets, are all still very comics friendly.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:44 pm

tony ingram wrote:I just can't get to grips with te idea of digital, I'm a collector by nature so I need my physical 'stuff'.

I feel the same, but I'm having to move to more digital, in that I have no more room! And have to get rid of things...
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:51 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I just can't get to grips with te idea of digital, I'm a collector by nature so I need my physical 'stuff'.  

I feel the same, but I'm having to move to more digital, in that I have no more room! And have to get rid of things...
Get...rid of...things...? You mean have less stuff than before...?

>does not compute< Shocked Shocked Shocked

>catastrophic system failure<

tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:54 pm

If you were a TRUE comics fan, you'd buy a bigger house Razz
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:59 pm

We built an extra room onto the back for more stuff... Cool
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:01 pm

Pfffft. Your dad built it Razz
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by paw broon Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:51 pm

This reaction to digital comics is interesting and I felt the same way about them years ago when some dealers started selling the dvd's of various titles at marts up here. But, a few years after that, I got - actually it was a presy from my wife - an android tablet. A Samsung with a 10.1 inch screen. And I was pretty soon hooked. You see, despite the jokes about buying another house etc., we have simply run out of room in our wee house. Neither of us wants piles of comics in the living room, so, I restrict myself to the back room and the loft. But I now have a really big digital collection and it is so easy to read them on my decent sized screen. Standard size American comics look good and you get the whole page on the screen. With bigger titles, Eagle, topper etc. , while you can display a full page, it is obviously smaller but by turning the screen sideways you get the width and simply scroll down to read. Nor are modern tablets heavy, so they are reasonably comfortable to hold. Works a treat.
Apart from all the stuff that's pd and/or freely available, sites such as Comixology do a good job with their selection and there are some excellent special offers. Remember, some titles are only available digitally.
So, no tactile experience, none of that lovely old smell of slowly deteriorating newsprint, but storage for thousands of comics of all shapes and sizes without needing another mortgage or a removal company.
As a warning, though, a fair few dealers are offering dvd's of old comics for sale, both at marts and on ebay. Many of the titles offered are pd, many are not. Many are orphaned. Whatever you feel about this, there is absolutely no need to pay for these discs. Most, if not all, of the comics offered are available for free on many sites, the 2 obvious English language sites being Digital Comic Museum and CB+, neither of which direct you to those incredibly slow downloaders that some sites use. Those 2 and other sites are where the dealers get the contents for their discs, Now and again, that includes my hard work, slaving over a hot scanner.
The postie delivered a packet of pocket libraries today but I'll also be reading my recent downloads of some obscure ACE golden age superhero stuff this evening. How good is that?

paw broon

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:01 pm

I just cannot read comics off a screen , I can't seem to immerse myself in them the way I can with printed material. I can't relax while reading off a screen. I don't really know how else to put it.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3