Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tom Baker: the New Adventures

2 posters

Go down

Tom Baker: the New Adventures Empty Tom Baker: the New Adventures

Post by tony ingram Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:53 am

Over the past two weeks, thanks to a kind friend, I've come into possession of copies of pretty much all of the new audio stories featuring Tom Baker, from the five part 'Hornet's Nest' audiobook series from BBC Audiobooks through to the latest Big Finish release, 'The Sands of Life' with the late Mary Tamm (still don't have the two from the 'Lost Stories' box set, but still) and I've just finished a mini-marathon of all of them in order of release: Hornet's Nest 1-5, Destination Nerva, The Renaissance Man, The Wrath of the Iceni, Energy of the Daleks, Trail of the White Worm, The Oseidon Adventure, Night of the Stormcrow, The Auntie Matter and The Sands of Life. I have to say, despite Hornet's Nest taking some getting used to (I'm now more accustomed to Big Finish's full cast dramas, so audiobooks seem a bit retrograde by comparison) I have yet to be disappointed by any of them. Tom is still perfect as the Doctor, made for the part, even when you can't see him (in fact, listening to these just demonstrates how much of Tom's performance is in his voice) and all three of the companions-Richard Franklin as the retired Captain Yates (who amusingly gets brainwashed yet again), Louise Jameson as Leela and Mary as Romana-seem to be enjoying themselves immensely, having slipped effortlessly back into their roles. I'm now eagerly awaiting War Against the Laan later this month. Has anyone else heard these?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tom Baker: the New Adventures Empty Re: Tom Baker: the New Adventures

Post by Sam_Vimes Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:28 am

So it's a book-on-tape sort of thing? Who does the narration?
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:19 am

Sam_Vimes wrote:So it's a book-on-tape sort of thing? Who does the narration?
No, these aren't audiobooks. They're actual audio plays. The Hornet's Nest series are kind of like audiobooks in that there is a 'narrator' in Richard Franklin (Mike Yates) but he's also playing Yates against Tom Baker and a limited number of other cast members. The Big Finish stories are full cast audio dramas, basically radio plays but for CD or download. Tom Baker stars in all of the ones I mentioned above, alongside either Louise Jameson or the late Mary Tamm. Big Finish have been producing audio drama based on Doctor Who (amongst others) for years; there are over sixty stories featuring Paul McGann alone, and they also use Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy and their respective companions. But Tom has until recently resisted doing any of these, so it's kind of a big deal that we're now getting at least three 'seasons' of audio drama starring him.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down