Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DC comics Band Aid.

+3
Sam_Vimes
tony ingram
Spektre
7 posters

Go down

DC comics Band Aid. Empty DC comics Band Aid.

Post by Spektre Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:12 am

Ok Tony...I know this might be hard, but you need to hit me in the face...now...hard.

There is rumor floating around that a new project now dubbed "Band Aid" will be coming out BRINGING BACK PRE-DCFU characters,

It has caused hope to swell up that this might be DCs "Heroes Return" and we could get our old continuity back, and DC might just start getting my old $1000+ a year sales back.

I know , I know. Stupid thinking. This is why I need hit in the face...hard. Knock that hope right out of me.
Spektre
Spektre

Back to top Go down

DC comics Band Aid. Empty Re: DC comics Band Aid.

Post by tony ingram Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:07 pm

Sorry, Spek, I've heard it too-and I'm half convinced it might happen... Very Happy 
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:52 am

How would this work? Would they just shoehorn in certain characters, like Wally and Donna? Would they simply overwrite the current "continuity" with the old one, or mesh the two into something even MORE incoherent? Would it be temporary? Would it be permanent? And what about "Earth 2"?
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:22 am

Spektre wrote: . . . I know , I know.  Stupid thinking.  This is why I need hit in the face...hard.  Knock that hope right out of me.
Even if that's what DC was planning, it wouldn't be exactly the same characters and exactly the same history. There are probably only a few people left who work for / would be willing to work for New 52 DC that could pull it off correctly without screwing everything over.

So . . . don't get your hopes up, at least until you've actually seen the Frankenstein monster they create as a "loving tribute" to all that history they just deep-sixed not that long ago.

(I know . . . cheerful old cuss, aren't I?)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:17 am

MajorHoy wrote:
Spektre wrote: . . . I know , I know.  Stupid thinking.  This is why I need hit in the face...hard.  Knock that hope right out of me.
Even if that's what DC was planning, it wouldn't be exactly the same characters and exactly the same history. There are probably only a few people left who work for / would be willing to work for New 52 DC that could pull it off correctly without screwing everything over.

So . . . don't get your hopes up, at least until you've actually seen the Frankenstein monster they create as a "loving tribute" to all that history they just deep-sixed not that long ago.

(I know . . . cheerful old cuss, aren't I?)
So long as we get the original JSA back (and Johns seems to be indicating he wants that, too) they can do what they want with the rest, as far as I'm concerned.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:56 pm

tony ingram wrote:So long as we get the original JSA back (and Johns seems to be indicating he wants that, too) they can do what they want with the rest, as far as I'm concerned.
Much as I would love that to happen, we won't get that. The closest they could come is some pseudo-version unless they get a guy like Paul Levitz or Roger Stern to write it without a lot of clueless editorial interference.

Did you read when Geoff Johns brought back Barry Allen a while back? That was awful . . . Johns changed Barry's backstory to make him angstier, and over-focused on things like the bowtie.

Don't want to see anything like that again!
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:46 am

I still don't understand why Barry was resurrected. The only interesting thing about the character was his death. He was far more valuable as a martyr than he ever was as a continuing character.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:53 pm

tony ingram wrote:I still don't understand why Barry was resurrected. The only interesting thing about the character was his death. He was far more valuable as a martyr than he ever was as a continuing character.
Geoff Johns had a hard-on for that period of comic books.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:04 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I still don't understand why Barry was resurrected. The only interesting thing about the character was his death. He was far more valuable as a martyr than he ever was as a continuing character.
Geoff Johns had a hard-on for that period of comic books.
And yet he managed to completely fail to capture the essence of it in his writing.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:37 am

tony ingram wrote:And yet he managed to completely fail to capture the essence of it in his writing.

I've noticed the same myself. He has a reputation for loving that era, but he almost seems to have misread everything. As in Infinite Crisis, he mixed up the Earth-2 and Earth-1 Supermen in odd ways. I don't fault him as a writer for how he writes characters in the present, I just don't get his reputation.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:31 am

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:And yet he managed to completely fail to capture the essence of it in his writing.

I've noticed the same myself. He has a reputation for loving that era, but he almost seems to have misread everything. As in Infinite Crisis, he mixed up the Earth-2 and Earth-1 Supermen in odd ways. I don't fault him as a writer for how he writes characters in the present, I just don't get his reputation.
In that, Johns is much like Bendis over at Marvel, in my opinion. Solid enough writers, both of them, but not great at capturing established characters or adhering to continuity, and nowhere near as good as they are inexplicably reputed to be.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:51 pm

tony ingram wrote:Solid enough writers, both of them, but not great at capturing established characters or adhering to continuity, and nowhere near as good as they are inexplicably reputed to be.  

I like Bendis's work better, although some of Johns's shorter works are fun. I find that Johns's longer works don't work for me. He tends to start off ok, get really good in the middle, and then just lose it at the end. Seems not to know how to end things. Might not always be his fault, it looks like DC had him blending one event into another for the longest time, but it wasn't good.
That said, I don't mind him changing continuity or characterization, lots of writers do, I just don't get his reputation for reverence for that era, he really seems to have only skimmed it for names and dates. Kind of like a jr. high history test for a bored teacher, where you know if you give the things they're looking for they won't pay attention to how little you actually understand the material.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Spektre Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:06 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:So long as we get the original JSA back (and Johns seems to be indicating he wants that, too) they can do what they want with the rest, as far as I'm concerned.
Much as I would love that to happen, we won't get that. The closest they could come is some pseudo-version unless they get a guy like Paul Levitz or Roger Stern to write it without a lot of clueless editorial interference.

Did you read when Geoff Johns brought back Barry Allen a while back? That was awful . . . Johns changed Barry's backstory to make him angstier, and over-focused on things like the bowtie.

Don't want to see anything like that again!

My personal belief is we will only get a glimpse of a few characters from the DCU with some sort of meta commentary on DC moving their office (They are the important ones after all). The purpose of seeing the old characters is to get completely shown up and "Teach a Valuable Lesson" about how awesome the current crop of poseurs are.
Spektre
Spektre

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:18 pm

If Rich Johnston is to be believed (I know, I know...) the current DCnU characters will not actually be appearing in this Band Aid thing at all, except for the Earth 2 ones.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:44 am

So, are they all going to get together and sing "Do They Know It's Christmas?"  santa

MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:03 am

Please. Some of us have been trying to forget that for a very long time.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:33 am

I rather like that song, even though I shouldn't. It's catchy.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:54 pm

tony ingram wrote:Please. Some of us have been trying to forget that for a very long time.
Should we segue into "We Are the World" next?

DC comics Band Aid. WATW-20th294x328
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:00 pm

I remember getting really annoyed when they re-released Do They Know it's Christmas in the middle of Summer. They'd be singing "do they know it's Christmas time at all", and I'd be shouting at the radio "of course they f****ing don't, it's the middle of July!"
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:36 pm

Very Happy Don't ever change.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Philip K Ditko Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:59 pm

They Aren't The World - Culturcide
Philip K Ditko
Philip K Ditko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down