Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite DC Heroines?

+5
indybrand13
karatattoo
Spektre
Silogramsam
Philip K Ditko
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Favorite DC Heroines

Favorite DC Heroines? - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%Favorite DC Heroines? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 2 ]
Favorite DC Heroines? - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Favorite DC Heroines? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
Favorite DC Heroines? - Page 2 Vote_lcap14%Favorite DC Heroines? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 3 ]
Favorite DC Heroines? - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Favorite DC Heroines? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
Favorite DC Heroines? - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%Favorite DC Heroines? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 2 ]
Favorite DC Heroines? - Page 2 Vote_lcap14%Favorite DC Heroines? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 3 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 1 ]
Favorite DC Heroines? - Page 2 Vote_lcap18%Favorite DC Heroines? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 22

Favorite DC Heroines? - Page 2 Empty Re: Favorite DC Heroines?

Post by tony ingram Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:24 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
I do know the history of the character, I just wasn't aware she'd ever been referred to as Diana in any Titans story.
Ah, this is our problem: as far as I know, she never was referred to as "Diana" in a Teens Titan story.
But, since the younger Diana as Wonder Girl appeared in a feature prior to the first appearance of the Teen Titans, and since the "Wonder Girl" that appeared in Teen Titans was basically the same character design as the young Diana version of "Wonder Girl", to me that makes young Diana the "original Wonder Girl".
To you, perhaps, but DC clearly never intended the Wonder Girl seen with the Titans to be Wonder Woman at a younger age; the writer of that first Titans appearance assumed she was a separate character, so I think we have to accept that intention as being the more important consideration.

You're referring to "original Wonder Girl" as strictly the character from Teen Titans, which might be similar to saying that the guy who became Superboy-Prime or perhaps Kon-El/Conner Kent were the "original Superboy" if you ignore Kal-El/Clark Kent's history of "Superman as a boy".
Not really. Both Superboy Prime and Kon-El were clearly developed as separate, individual characters. Kon-El wasn't even the first Superboy in post-Crisis continuity; the Superboy from the Time Trapper's pocket universe was. Again, authorial intent is what matters.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:23 pm

MajorHoy wrote:By the way, wasn't the "original" Wonder Girl actually Diana when she was younger?

It's a "yes, but" situation. There WAS a Wonder Girl who was Diana as a child, but when Haney developed the Titans, he went for something different:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Girl

Although not named Wonder Girl, a young Wonder Woman appeared as part of the character's origin story in All-Star Comics #8 (December 1941), Wonder Woman's first appearance. A teen-aged Princess Diana of the Amazons was featured in a backstory in Wonder Woman (vol. 1) #23 (May/June 1947), written by William Moulton Marston and designed by H.G. Peter.

Wonder Girl first appeared in The Secret Origin of Wonder Woman, written and edited by Robert Kanigher, in Wonder Woman (vol. 1) #105 (April 1958). In this revised Silver Age origin, it is established that Diana had in fact not been created from clay, but had been born before the Amazons settled on Paradise Island. Following this issue were several Wonder Girl adventures, and years later an additional character, Wonder Tot—Wonder Woman as a toddler—was also featured. Kanigher restored the character's made-from-clay origin in 1966.

From Wonder Woman (vol. 1) #124 (August 1961) onward, Wonder Woman, Wonder Girl, and Wonder Tot frequently appeared together in stories that were labeled "impossible tales", presented as films made by Wonder Woman's mother, Queen Hippolyta, who had the power to splice together films of herself and Diana at different ages. The characters of Wonder Girl and Wonder Woman then began to diverge, as Bob Haney wrote Wonder Girl stories that took place in the same time period as those of Wonder Woman.

Haney was developing a new group of junior superheroes, which in its first informal appearance featured a team-up of Robin (Dick Grayson), Kid Flash (Wally West), and Aqualad—the sidekicks of Justice League members Batman, the Flash, and Aquaman, respectively. In their next appearance in The Brave and the Bold #60 (July 1965), they were dubbed the Teen Titans and were joined by Wonder Girl, pictured in the same frame as Wonder Woman and calling Hippolyta "mother".

The last significant appearance of Wonder Woman as a child Wonder Girl was in November 1965. In the tongue-in-cheek Wonder Woman (vol. 1) #158, the aforementioned Kanigher broke the fourth wall by having Wonder Girl and the rest of the supporting cast he had created (Wonder Tot, the Glop, Bird-Boy, Mer-Boy, Birdman, and Manno) come to the office of a "certain" editor. Protested by fans for ruining the character, Kanigher tells Wonder Girl that he does love her, along with all of his other daughters, such as Black Canary, Star Sapphire, and the Harlequin. Even so, with mounting pressure, he has no choice but to declare her retconned. Wonder Girl stoically accepts her fate as she and the others turn into drawings on Kanigher's desk. Soon after, Wonder Woman enters and is shocked to see her younger self "killed".

Regardless, Diana as a child Wonder Girl was never completely rejected. Reprints of Wonder Girl stories were occasionally included in the comic book. In issue #200, Wonder Woman, in her Diana Prince identity, is shown walking past children at play whereon she flashes back to when she was a fourteen-year-old Wonder Girl with a crush on Mer-Boy.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:48 pm

I would hate to be Wonder Woman. Her life is deeply confusing.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:22 pm

tony ingram wrote:I would hate to be Wonder Woman. Her life is deeply confusing.
I can think of other reasons I'd hate to be Wonder Woman, too.

Razz
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:15 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I would hate to be Wonder Woman. Her life is deeply confusing.
I can think of other reasons I'd hate to be Wonder Woman, too.

Razz  
Yes. Steve Trevor. *shudder*
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:53 pm

I think that's true of any superhero who has been around a long time. Superman had a story where he'd been a century older than thought, and one where his parents survived the explosion of Krypton. Just off the top of my head.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:57 pm

Mbast1 wrote:

I think that's true of any superhero who has been around a long time. Superman had a story where he'd been a century older than thought, and one where his parents survived the explosion of Krypton. Just off the top of my head.
I seem to recall his parents did survive, albeit permanently stuck in suspended animation in a pod floating in space, according to one Silver Age Superboy story...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:11 am

Didn't, like, most Kryptonians end up surviving the destruction of Krypton, one way or another?
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:06 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Didn't, like, most Kryptonians end up surviving the destruction of Krypton, one way or another?
Well, there were the entire populations of Kandor and Argo City, several dozen Phantom Zone villains, Superman, Supergirl, Power Girl, Krypto, Beppo, the Eradicator, Doomsday, Jor-El and Lara if you believe that Superboy story....yeah, I think pretty much the only people dumb enough to have stayed on Krypton 'til the end were the Science Council...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2