Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What? Why "Who"?

+2
Sam_Vimes
MajorHoy
6 posters

Go down

What? Why "Who"? Empty What? Why "Who"?

Post by MajorHoy Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:16 pm

Maybe this has been answered before, but if Doctor Who is a Time Lord, how come his name isn't "Doctor When"? (I'm not trying to be clever / funny, just sort of wondering if that has ever come up in an episode or something.)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

What? Why "Who"? Empty Re: What? Why "Who"?

Post by Mbast1 Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:50 pm

MajorHoy wrote:Maybe this has been answered before, but if Doctor Who is a Time Lord, how come his name isn't "Doctor When"? (I'm not trying to be clever / funny, just sort of wondering if that has ever come up in an episode or something.)

His name actually isn't Doctor Who. His name is "The Doctor" (or that's the name he took, anyway). "Doctor Who?" is the question people sometimes ask when he says he's "The Doctor". Personally, I HATE that this showed is called that, it's pretty dumb if you ask me.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:21 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:Maybe this has been answered before, but if Doctor Who is a Time Lord, how come his name isn't "Doctor When"? (I'm not trying to be clever / funny, just sort of wondering if that has ever come up in an episode or something.)

His name actually isn't Doctor Who. His name is "The Doctor" (or that's the name he took, anyway). "Doctor Who?" is the question people sometimes ask when he says he's "The Doctor". Personally, I HATE that this showed is called that, it's pretty dumb if you ask me.
But the fact that it's a question is the point! What else would it be called?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:23 pm

"Doctor Time", maybe...?

I don't know, I like that it's called Doctor Who. I'd probably work harder on an alternate name if I didn't.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by karatattoo Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:48 pm

What annoys me is when an actor, either the one currently in the role or a previous one, is asked about being "Doctor Who."

This is like William Shatner or Patrick Stewart being asked about being cast as "Star Trek."

And the person being asked doesn't correct the person asking the question!

It's even worse when the mistake is made by a BBC interviewer. Others may have the excuse of not being that familiar with the program, but how can a BBC interviewer not know? Don't they get any background information before hand?
karatattoo
karatattoo

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:01 pm

karatattoo wrote:What annoys me is when an actor, either the one currently in the role or a previous one, is asked about being "Doctor Who."

This is like William Shatner or Patrick Stewart being asked about being cast as "Star Trek."

And the person being asked doesn't correct the person asking the question!

It's even worse when the mistake is made by a BBC interviewer. Others may have the excuse of not being that familiar with the program, but how can a BBC interviewer not know? Don't they get any background information before hand?
I think interviewers frequently use it as a kind of shorthand: it's simply easier to ask "what's it like playing Doctor Who" than "what's it like playing the Doctor in Doctor Who". After all, not everyone watching is going to be familiar with the series.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:08 pm

tony ingram wrote:But the fact that it's a question is the point! What else would it be called?

What point, though? In terms of the title, it just doesn't make sense. It's accepted, I think, simply because it's old, but it doesn't make sense. "Doctor Who" MIGHT make sense if you had a roomful of Doctors and you needed another name to help you ID which one this was, but that's not the case. It's not asked as if it were asking who he "really" is, it's asked because people expect an answer like "Doctor Johnson". They're looking for a name, and that's what this is from. That there's a question as to who he really is doesn't have anything to do with the title, since that's not the question the characters are asking.
As to a better title "The Doctor" would have been fine.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:11 pm

karatattoo wrote:What annoys me is when an actor, either the one currently in the role or a previous one, is asked about being "Doctor Who."

I'm not too big on most journalists. I have an undergraduate degree in journalism, and so I "sort-of" follow this, and most of them are idiots. They ask dumb questions because they can't be bothered to have a working knowledge of the thing under discussion too often.
Although, at this point his name might as well be "Doctor Who", simply because that's how many people know him.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:13 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:But the fact that it's a question is the point! What else would it be called?

What point, though? In terms of the title, it just doesn't make sense. It's accepted, I think, simply because it's old, but it doesn't make sense. "Doctor Who" MIGHT make sense if you had a roomful of Doctors and you needed another name to help you ID which one this was, but that's not the case. It's not asked as if it were asking who he "really" is, it's asked because people expect an answer like "Doctor Johnson". They're looking for a name, and that's what this is from. That there's a question as to who he really is doesn't have anything to do with the title, since that's not the question the characters are asking.
As to a better title "The Doctor" would have been fine.
It's not really as memorable though, is it?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:20 pm

[quote="tony ingram"]
Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:As to a better title "The Doctor" would have been fine.

No, I admit that. I'm sure something better could have been created. I don't know why the title bothers me when I think about it, it just seems odd. And somewhat goofy.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:21 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:As to a better title "The Doctor" would have been fine.

No, I admit that. I'm sure something better could have been created. I don't know why the title bothers me when I think about it, it just seems odd. And somewhat goofy.
I always thought that was part of its charm...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:13 pm

tony ingram wrote:I always thought that was part of its charm...

A big part of it, I think, is that I'm not really a long-time fan. I don't actually really like the pre-1996 DW, try as I might to like it. I think it's interesting, and has a lot of material to play to, but the shows just don't work for me.
(I think we've talked about this before, and I don't know why I don't like it. I LOVE The Tomorrow People, and it's worse in terms of acting, special effects and anything else I can think of that might be why the old DW doesn't work for me.)
So, for me this is just something I think is illogical and goofy. 99% of the time I don't think about it, and don't much care, just that when someone brings it up I remember that I think it's not good.
Anyway...
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:04 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I always thought that was part of its charm...

A big part of it, I think, is that I'm not really a long-time fan. I don't actually really like the pre-1996 DW, try as I might to like it. I think it's interesting, and has a lot of material to play to, but the shows just don't work for me.
(I think we've talked about this before, and I don't know why I don't like it. I LOVE The Tomorrow People, and it's worse in terms of acting, special effects and anything else I can think of that might be why the old DW doesn't work for me.)
So, for me this is just something I think is illogical and goofy. 99% of the time I don't think about it, and don't much care, just that when someone brings it up I remember that I think it's not good.
Anyway...
Not even Tom Baker? Shocked

I thought everybody loved Tom Baker... Sad
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:25 pm

tony ingram wrote:Not even Tom Baker? Shocked

Well, sure I like Tom Baker. I like them all (Doctors, that is), but for some reason I can't seem to get through an entire episode. I have no clue why.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:59 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Not even Tom Baker? Shocked

Well, sure I like Tom Baker. I like them all (Doctors, that is), but for some reason I can't seem to get through an entire episode. I have no clue why.
Not even a Robert Holmes or Douglas Adams episode? Have you tried beer?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:41 pm

tony ingram wrote:Not even a Robert Holmes or Douglas Adams episode? Have you tried beer?  

I'm not sure I knew that Douglas Adams had written one. I'll have to see if I can find one and try again.
I don't drink. So, that's no help.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:55 am

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Not even a Robert Holmes or Douglas Adams episode? Have you tried beer?  

I'm not sure I knew that Douglas Adams had written one. I'll have to see if I can find one and try again.
I don't drink. So, that's no help.
Adams was script editor towards the end of Tom Baker's time, and wrote the stories City of Death (which is consistently regarded as one of the best Doctor Who stories ever), The Pirate Planet (which isn't, though it's not bad), and Shada (which was never completed because the technicians union went on strike). Elements of Shada and City of Death (read: virtually the entire plot of one and half of the other) were later reused by Adams when writing Dirk gently's Holistic Detective Agency. If you don't enjoy City of Death, there's probably no hope for you.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:02 pm

tony ingram wrote:If you don't enjoy City of Death, there's probably no hope for you.

Gee, thanks...
I looked up some of this after reading what you wrote. I'm going to see if I can find City of Death to watch asap.
I knew about Shada, somewhat, but what I "knew" was apparently wrong. In that what I'd read said Adams had been commissioned to write Shada, and that it was never produced. I didn't know how involved he was. So thanks!
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:38 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:If you don't enjoy City of Death, there's probably no hope for you.

Gee, thanks...
Sorry. Longtime Who fans tend to be somewhat evangelical about it. Telling a middle aged Who fan who's been watching since the 70s that you don't think it's very good tends to get roughly the same reaction as if you'd said you'd heard his granddad was a Nazi and his mother serviced sailors.  Razz

I looked up some of this after reading what you wrote. I'm going to see if I can find City of Death to watch asap.
I knew about Shada, somewhat, but what I "knew" was apparently wrong. In that what I'd read said Adams had been commissioned to write Shada, and that it was never produced. I didn't know how involved he was. So thanks!
It was partly produced, just never completed. The segment that was completed is actually out on DVD, with linking narration provided by Tom Baker.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:02 pm

tony ingram wrote:Sorry. Longtime Who fans tend to be somewhat evangelical about it. Telling a middle aged Who fan who's been watching since the 70s that you don't think it's very good tends to get roughly the same reaction as if you'd said you'd heard his granddad was a Nazi and his mother serviced sailors.  Razz

I found that it's on Netflix, and I watched the first episode last night. It wasn't bad at all, I think I'll be able to finish this one. We'll see how much I like it, I guess. Thanks for the tip!
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:03 pm

I await your verdict with some trepidation.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by karatattoo Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:25 pm

I've never liked anything Douglas Adams wrote.

I though his humor was silly. I also think he was the worst script editor Doctor Who ever had.
karatattoo
karatattoo

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:28 pm

karatattoo wrote:I've never liked anything Douglas Adams wrote.

I though his humor was silly. I also think he was the worst script editor Doctor Who ever had.
Shocked
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by karatattoo Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:32 pm

Also, I've never watched Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

I heard some of the radio version (on cassette) when I was at college.

I didn't like it.
karatattoo
karatattoo

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:36 pm

karatattoo wrote:Also, I've never watched Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

I heard some of the radio version (on cassette) when I was at college.

I didn't like it.
Shocked Shocked Shocked

I don't think I've ever actually met anyone before who has disliked Hitch Hikers.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by karatattoo Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:42 pm

tony ingram wrote:I don't think I've ever actually met anyone before who has disliked Hitch Hikers.

I think I may be unique.

BTW, I saw saw THHGTTU movie either.

karatattoo
karatattoo

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:02 pm

karatattoo wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I don't think I've ever actually met anyone before who has disliked Hitch Hikers.

I think I may be unique.

BTW, I saw saw THHGTTU movie either.

You didn't miss much. It was a travesty.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:09 pm

I used to work with a guy who hated it. And Red Dwarf. Was a huge science fiction fan, but couldn't stand anything comedic in it. It was odd. I have a theory as to why, but just a theory.

karatattoo wrote:I heard some of the radio version (on cassette) when I was at college.

I actually own the entire radio series on cassette. Was a gift. And I love it.

Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:10 pm

tony ingram wrote:You didn't miss much. It was a travesty.

I might be one of the few fans I know who enjoyed it. It was definitely different, but that's ok. Also, I read that Adams himself wrote the first draft, added in the love-interest parts, because he thought you couldn't sell a movie without that thing in it.
Plus, it has Martin Freeman.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:16 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:You didn't miss much. It was a travesty.

I might be one of the few fans I know who enjoyed it. It was definitely different, but that's ok. Also, I read that Adams himself wrote the first draft, added in the love-interest parts, because he thought you couldn't sell a movie without that thing in it.
Plus, it has Martin Freeman.
I like him, but I really can't see anyone but Simon Jones as Arthur (I believe Adams basically wrote the part for him). And I hated what they did to Marvin!

A bit OT, but did you ever see Nigel Kneale's short lived SF comedy Kinvig?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:59 pm

tony ingram wrote:I like him, but I really can't see anyone but Simon Jones as Arthur (I believe Adams basically wrote the part for him). And I hated what they did to Marvin!

I admit I wasn't into Marvin the way the movie did it, but I still enjoyed it. And I LOVE the tv shows, I do, I just also enjoyed the movie. Different take. As David Lynch's 1984 Dune movie is one of my favorite movies ever, but the SciFi miniseries, along with Children of Dune, are good, too. Just different.

tony ingram wrote:A bit OT, but did you ever see Nigel Kneale's short lived SF comedy Kinvig?

Nope, but I just found it on Youtube. So I'll check it out. Thanks!
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:05 pm

It's a bit of an oddity, but I'm rather fond of it. Its first and only airing on TV (as far as I know) was directly after Hitch Hikers' BBC2 debut, but on rival channel LWT.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:23 am

Mbast1 wrote:Plus, it has Martin Freeman.
So do Peter Jackson's Hobbit movies, but that doesn't make them good movies.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:56 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:So do Peter Jackson's Hobbit movies, but that doesn't make them good movies.

I like them!
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:07 pm

I've never seen them.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum