Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anybody else read Heavy Metal?

5 posters

Go down

Has anybody else read Heavy Metal?  Empty Has anybody else read Heavy Metal?

Post by tony ingram Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:17 pm

I used to pick up the odd issue in the eighties and nineties, and always found it fascinating (if often incomprehensible) but someone's just given me a stack of issues from the early eighties, about a year's worth, and they are slightly blowing my mind... Razz
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Mbast1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Has anybody else read Heavy Metal?  Empty Re: Has anybody else read Heavy Metal?

Post by MajorHoy Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:07 pm

I use to read them sporadically back-in-the-day . . . and, yeah, sometimes the stories made me feel like what I imagine an acid trip would have been like. (But never having tried most of those illegal pharmaceuticals and the like, I can't say for sure.)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Mbast1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Has anybody else read Heavy Metal?  Empty Re: Has anybody else read Heavy Metal?

Post by tony ingram Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:20 pm

I've read some of this stuff in translations of European albums but it's the little things, the weird one or two pagers, that are really compelling.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Mbast1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:10 pm

tony ingram wrote:I've read some of this stuff in translations of European albums but it's the little things, the weird one or two pagers, that are really compelling.

I own a handful, but mostly haven't read them. Too much to do. I like that it's an anthology. Gives me plenty of interesting stories to check out.
Also, and I just double-checked this, it helped inspire cyberpunk with Dan Obannon and Moebius's The Long Tomorrow.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:15 pm

There's some Moebius stuff in the issues I'm now reading, the man was amazing.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Barry_Allen and Mbast1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:02 am

tony ingram wrote:There's some Moebius stuff in the issues I'm now reading, the man was amazing.  

And then some. The more of his work I find the happier I get.
I really want to watch the Documentary on Jodorowsky's Dune, especially since Moebius had a hand in it. It's on Amazon. I'll report out if I get to it any time soon.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:28 am

Can't believe I missed this, but Grant Morrison is now editor-in-chief of HM!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Mbast1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:50 pm

tony ingram wrote:Can't believe I missed this, but Grant Morrison is now editor-in-chief of HM!

Yep, I picked up his first issue, though I haven't read it yet.

I say that a lot, I haven't read/watched this or that yet.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:55 am

There are not enough hours in the day. Razz
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Mbast1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:06 am

tony ingram wrote:Can't believe I missed this, but Grant Morrison is now editor-in-chief of HM!

You should peruse the Previews more often Tony! Very Happy I have bought the first Morrison issue, which have slipped from being # 279 to 280, at the beginning there is a story by Grant drawn by Benjamin Marra (who?) pretty much old school but esotheric for my tastes...Some are the continuation of previous issues like Enki Bilal's Julie and Roem, so I imagine that we'll have to wait some issues to see the "real" Morrison edited Heavy Metal.

Hi Tony, do you remember me from Italy? Smile  I used to get every issue of Crikey from Ace Comics (with only the very first issues missing but now the old website is no more, do you still have them with the Second Special too...?) and I bought a big stock of your fanzines directly from you four years ago (!), this was when the parcel came to me almost destroyed but the fanzines were Ok, maybe you remember that. Nice to see that the Crikey forum is still alive and kicking, guys! Cool
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

https://editorialecorno.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:17 am

Barry_Allen wrote:

You should peruse the Previews more often Tony! Very Happy I have bought the first Morrison issue, which have slipped from being # 279 to 280, at the beginning there is a story by Grant drawn by Benjamin Marra (who?) pretty much old school but esotheric for my tastes...Some are the continuation of previous issues like Enki Bilal's Julie and Roem, so I imagine that we'll have to wait some issues to see the "real" Morrison edited Heavy Metal.

Hi Tony, do you remember me from Italy? Smile  I used to get every issue of Crikey from Ace Comics (with only the very first issues missing but now the old website is no more, do you still have them with the Second Special too...?) and I bought a big stock of your fanzines directly from you four years ago (!), this was when the parcel came to me almost destroyed but the fanzines were Ok, maybe you remember that. Nice to see that the Crikey forum is still alive and kicking, guys! Cool
I do remember! Very good to see you! Very Happy
I think Glenn still has several Crikey! back issues, but I'd have to check with him which ones. I ran out some time ago, myself.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:30 pm

tony ingram wrote:There are not enough hours in the day. Razz

Oh, I know. There's just so much good stuff out there. Or at least stuff that sounds good.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:58 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:There are not enough hours in the day. Razz

Oh, I know. There's just so much good stuff out there. Or at least stuff that sounds good.
Both, I think...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Mbast1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:43 am

tony ingram wrote:
I think Glenn still has several Crikey! back issues, but I'd have to check with him which ones. I ran out some time ago, myself.

Thank you Tony, it's a pleasure also for me to be here again! Very Happy
If you have the chance please ask GFB about availability and prices, of the Specials too, included shipping to Italy, in my case. Smile
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:59 am

Barry_Allen wrote:
tony ingram wrote:

Thank Tony, it's a pleasure also for me to be here again! Very Happy
If you have the chance please ask GFB about availability and prices, of the Specials too, included shipping to Italy, in my case. Smile
I'll give him a call this evening. Where've you been hiding, anyway? Very Happy
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:06 pm

tony ingram wrote:Where've you been hiding, anyway? Very Happy
Wild guess... shot in the dark... Italy???
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Barry_Allen and Mbast1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:57 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Where've you been hiding, anyway? Very Happy
Wild guess... shot in the dark... Italy???

Well, Tony and Lucy, first, last years I "worked" with friends on the old komix.it italian portal and forum (now shut down because the powers that be founded a fine publisher called Tunué which is quite active on italian comic scene and not only that) and spent a lot of time also losing time on Fb, as a lot of people do, which causes, not only in Italy I guess, a lot of comics forum to close/become substantially inactive, except for the Crikey cult forum, of course! Cool In fact, when the old Crikey website disappeared, I wrongly thought that also the forum was gone, shame on me! Embarassed
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:15 am

I think a lot of people made the same assumption. And yes, Facebook has a lot to answer for...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:37 am

But luckily the Crikey forum is still with us!  Cool
Just to return on topic, just received Heavy Metal # 281, labeled in cover as "the sex issue" (when I ordered the mag, the theme was not specified, you evil thinking Very Happy ); I still have to read it but flipping the pages I did not find many sex scenes, just to make a "cultural" check-up Laughing ; I'll read the Grant editorial first to try to undertand what philosophy he intended to use for this issue...l
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:50 pm

Believe it or not, while the publisher of the original magazine is having big economic problems, after two changes of ownership since the Kevin Eastman era (last issue published there is # 319 about one month ago and it was several months late... but it seems that subscribers still have to receive it), here a local publisher, Sprea Comics, has just started the italian edition of Heavy Metal and published also five books of HM comics, like the Tpbs containing Iron Maiden and Taarna mini-series; here below there's the cover of issue # 2 with a iconic Taarna image!  Cool Very Happy santa  Has anybody else read Heavy Metal?  20221210
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Mbast1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:47 pm

I used to love Heavy Metal, but I can't remember the last time I saw a new copy...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:26 am

I have what I think is the complete run with Grant Morrison as editor and others. There are some things I'd love to have as "runs" but the good stuff is hard to find.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:50 pm

Yes, Grant's Heavy Metal whole run was not as great as "expected" and, while when he was nominated the annoncement was made public 11 issues before the change, when he left no publicity was done to that change of EIC of HM!
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:30 pm

While the original magazine stopped publishing "Volume one" with issue # 319 (but they solicited until issue # 322!) and already annonced three issues of "Volume two", still to be seen...., the Italian edition of Heavy Metal just lost one of his two co-Editors in chief and raised his price from € 6.90 to € 9.90 due to low sales; this is the  cover of issue 6 just arrived (also) on newstands:
Has anybody else read Heavy Metal?  Heavy_10
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Philip K Ditko likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:46 pm

I imagine that you have already read about the definitive demise of Heavy Metal Magazine, with issue # 320, so sad...also the italian edition stopped with its issue 7. Crying or Very sad
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down