Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Come In and Introduce Yourselves!

+40
pickwick
Lucy Ingram
tony ingram
josiedad
paw broon
The Mekon
Silogramsam
Liz R
Philip K Ditko
vark
ramonschenk
Spektre
BluesShark
rpd123
Sam_Vimes
freedumbdclxvi
Mbast1
PhantomRambler
Steel Claw
kenvinlee89
Scribe62
Treadmill
Robert Alvarez
Stigandnasty
3hZ
Hourglass
shaqui
kembel
Digifiend
Andrew Edwards
drneil
MR X
Mel Horton
Charles Daniels
ITALIANHAMMER
felneymike
Sandhopper
GBF
Spiff_B
alanultron5
44 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Come In and Introduce Yourselves! - Page 3 Empty Re: Come In and Introduce Yourselves!

Post by Robert Alvarez Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:15 am

Hello, My name is Robert & i love babble on as if everyone wanted to hear every thought that comes from my head.

Robert Alvarez

Back to top Go down

Come In and Introduce Yourselves! - Page 3 Empty Re: Come In and Introduce Yourselves!

Post by tony ingram Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:39 am

Babble away, Robert! Glad you found the place. Very Happy
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:08 pm

Pleased to meet you Robert Smile
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MR X Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:24 pm

Get stuck in, Rob! What are your comics preferences, old son?
MR X
MR X

Back to top Go down

Post by Treadmill Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:17 pm

Hi there

I am new to the forum (obviously) and am a huge fan of Modesty Blaise - both the strips and the novels. I read some modern American comics but have a lot of affection for the old newspaper adventure strips like The Seekers, Jane etc and some of the classic comic characters from the 60's like Spring Heeled Jack, Alf Tupper - The Tuff of the Track and The Spider, even though most of the publications ceased years before I was born. What do you call it when you are a nostalgic for a time you didn't live in? Very Happy

Anyway, I am looking to track down old strips and talk to other afficionados so I reckon I am in the right place.

cheers!

Treadmill

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:33 pm

It's called having good taste-I came to The Spider late too, but those were some wonderful stories (many of them by Superman creator Jerry Siegel). Jane is a personal favourite, too. Welcome, welcome...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scribe62 Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:47 pm

Hi! My name's Nick and I love comics! Wink

Okay - a bit more detail. I'm just shy of 50, family man, work as a freelance writer and have always loved comics as they formed a great part of my childhood. In fact, I'm sure it was comics that got me into writing and later journalism.

I grew up with the British greats; Dandy, Beano, Beezer Topper, Sparky, (love the Sparky File!), Shiver 'n' Shake, Valiant, Victor and Hotspur. Then there were the Marvel comics. preferably the genuine US ones, and to a lesser extent, the DC Comics. (But of course there were also the British re-prints of the the classic Marvel comics too).

My most treasured possession was a copy of Spider Man #30 that I found around 1973 in a newsagents tucked away with other old comics and got that for 10p! I was lucky insofar as there was a marvellous, eccentric secondhand bookshop in my town that used to get genuine American comics in and I spent God knows how much of my pocket money there! Later, some good friends of mine opened a Sci-Fi themed bokshop and it was they they introduced me to Dr Who Magazine (then Weekly) in 1979. Very Happy

Oh, and I'm a long-time Dr Who fan from the Hartnell days. Thankfully, my kids are too!
I think Crikey is brilliant and I've been meaning to join the Forum for ages, so here I am! I saw an invitation to a new member to "gab away", so I hope you'll indulge me too. Very Happy

Scribe62

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:44 am

Welcome, Nick! Good to have you here-and particularly good to have another British humour comics fan around. My own childhood pretty much mirrors yours, with the exception secondhand bookshop was in Lewisham, and the first Sci-Fi themed bookshop I ever found was the original Forbidden Planet, which was a train ride away in London... Very Happy
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kenvinlee89 Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:43 am

Hello, I now became a member of this community here and I would love to be a part of it. Just enjoy the environment here

kenvinlee89

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:36 am

kenvinlee89 wrote:Hello, I now became a member of this community here and I would love to be a part of it. Just enjoy the environment here

tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Come In and Introduce Yourselves! - Page 3 Empty Re Come in and introduce yourself

Post by Steel Claw Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:07 pm

Hi,
My name is Don, I`m 57, have that many Grandchildren I have numbered them as I can`t remember their names. As you can see from my username I`m a great fan of the Steel Claw. As a child I used to stick knives and forks into live sockets to see if I would become invisible. It did`nt work but my Dad spent hours under the stairs with a torch muttering to himself, my first "menaces" I suppose.
My love of comics and reading in general came from our Evening paper carrying Zorro, The Phantom etc., I was also brought up on Garth, The Perishers and Andy Capp in the Daily Mirror.
My early comics were the Hornet, Hotspur and Sparky and I later tried the American stuff which I never really enjoyed as much.
I have bought the Beano and Dandy for the Grandkids but the DS rules I`m afraid, although I`ve got a possible convert in Charlie ( number 3 ! ) as he now reads the Doctor Who Adventures and has asked me to look for Horrid henry books in the charity shops.
Sorry to waffle on , thanks for your indulgence!

Steel Claw

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:31 pm

Good to have you here, Don! And particularly nice to have a fellow newspaper strip fan around the place. The Perishers, Garth and Axa are probably my own favourites., though Andy was always amusing...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PhantomRambler Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:02 pm

Hi,
My name is Allan. I’d guess you’d classify me as a “veteran” (or maybe a “dinosaur” ?) – having memories of British comics from the late 1950s (Hulton’s Robin/Swift/Eagle series, Beano, Dandy, Beezer, Topper, Knockout, Wizard et al) Lasat British title I regularly read back then was probably TV21.
From about 1960 I started reading American comics starting with the Dell 4-Color titles – a lot of Disney books, tv series adaptations (Westerns, Detectives) and then I found a copy of Superman #127 (cover dated May 1960) and that really got me started following the superhero books, And I was there when books with a little “MCG” on the cover appeared and saw that little acronym burst into “Marvel Comics Group”. Heck, it’s now been over 50 years since I saw my first DCs and Marvel. I’ve followed them fairly continuously over the years, albeit buying fewer and fewer in more recent years. I’ve looked at other publishers as well, but I guess I’ve always been a fan of the mainstream superhero book.
Been very impressed with Crikey! And was disappointed when it folded, but looking forward to its rebirth!
PhantomRambler
PhantomRambler

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:07 pm

Good to have you, Allan; and particularly nice to have another American comics fan around the place. So, what are your views on DC's forthcoming relaunch?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PhantomRambler Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:10 pm

I've posted some ramblings in that topic...
PhantomRambler
PhantomRambler

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:20 pm

We appear to be on the same page, metaphorically speaking...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:36 pm

tony ingram wrote:Well, we know who we are; so, who are you?

My name is Mike Bast. I was told about this forum on the DC comics forum, as I am leaving there. I am done with DC and Marvel, so I really want to explore other comics, both American (where I am) independents and comics from around the world. I have been reading comics for around 40 years (yes, I am that old) and I know something about non-American comics, but I am really looking forward to reading about more.
Thanks,
Mike.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:52 pm

Mike! Welcome, I am so glad you came looking. We're a small forum but gradually growing, and rather less vitriolic than the big boys. Welcome!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freedumbdclxvi Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:02 pm

hello. i am dustin, and i saw this forum posted on the dc boards. i felt like joining in the discussion. i've been reading comics for about twenty-five years, and i'm enjoying that my son is starting to get into them.

looking forward to some good discussions and recommendations!

freedumbdclxvi

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:51 pm

Welcome, Dustin. Make yourself at home! What are you interested in?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freedumbdclxvi Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:42 am

thanks! i am looking to get in to comics created outside america. (which, of course, is a pretty broad scope, i understand.) i've been a long time fan of neil gaiman, grant morrison and alan moore but, outside their pre american works and a smattering of others, i really have little experience with other british comics. also, thanks mostly to moffat's involvement in the tintin movie, i started reading those stories and fell in love.

i've also begun recently to go back and read horror comics. i'm about a third of the way through marvel's tomb of dracula series from the 70's, and that's been just a fun read. it's caused me to want to start picking up other horror comics from the same era and those from the 50's as well.

freedumbdclxvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:26 am

tony ingram wrote:Mike! Welcome, I am so glad you came looking. We're a small forum but gradually growing, and rather less vitriolic than the big boys. Welcome!

Why, thank you. I really have no interest in the vitriol. I know I can be as bad as anyone else at times, but I really just want to talk about comics, and see what the rest of the world has to offer.
Thanks for letting me know about this place. I'm enjoying what I see so far.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:45 am

freedumbdclxvi wrote:thanks! i am looking to get in to comics created outside america. (which, of course, is a pretty broad scope, i understand.) i've been a long time fan of neil gaiman, grant morrison and alan moore but, outside their pre american works and a smattering of others, i really have little experience with other british comics. also, thanks mostly to moffat's involvement in the tintin movie, i started reading those stories and fell in love.

i've also begun recently to go back and read horror comics. i'm about a third of the way through marvel's tomb of dracula series from the 70's, and that's been just a fun read. it's caused me to want to start picking up other horror comics from the same era and those from the 50's as well.
Have you ever read any EC stuff? I got into it years ago through black & white British reprints and a lot of the stories still stand up as some of the most wildly imaginative horror comics ever.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:56 am

Mbast1 wrote:
Why, thank you. I really have no interest in the vitriol. I know I can be as bad as anyone else at times,
Sometimes it's difficult to avoid rising to the bait, though I'd have to say I've never known you to be deliberately provocative or insulting unlike several on the DC boards so I don't think you can claim to be "as bad as anyone else", really... Smile
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freedumbdclxvi Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:35 am

tony ingram wrote:Have you ever read any EC stuff? I got into it years ago through black & white British reprints and a lot of the stories still stand up as some of the most wildly imaginative horror comics ever.

i haven't, but i've been thinking about picking up one or two of the archives.

freedumbdclxvi

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:28 am

They're well worth it!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:00 am

Hello, my name is Charlie, I'm 26 and I've been reading comics for. . .well, 20 years now, I suppose. I like the old and the new, but am a bit biased toward things written while I was a child and, oddly enough, while my dad was one (Silver Age RULES!!!). I know Tony Ingram there from the DC boards, and learned about this place from him (thanks, Tony! Gosh, that's much easier to type than "Tingrametro"). Hopefully there will be a mass exodus, because this place looks nicer already.

. . .Well, no, I suppose if we want to preserve that then there shouldn't be a mass exodus. Maybe more of a selective one?

Anyway, hello!
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:05 am

Charlie! Very good to see you, I was hoping you'd turn up here. Very Happy

We're a small forum as you can see, but we're getting bigger and in the relatively short time the place has existed, I can't think of any serious arguments. I kind of agree with your implied comment about the DC boards, but I think it's really only a case of a handful of agitators who tend to shout a lot and get noticed because of it. Hopefully, they'll find other places to go and amuse themselves...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rpd123 Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:50 am

Hi, I'm Reilly, I'm 16 years old and have been reading comics for a few years now. I know (not really know, but have talked with) Tony Ingram from the DC boards (i was batwing58). I'm just looking for a place to talk about comics because now that the DC boards are going, I don't have one. And none of my friends read comics so it limits my comic discussion quite a bit.

Oh and I'm American, so I don't know a lot of European comics. I've read the more well known ones like 2000 AD and Captain Britain.

Anyways, thought I'd say hello.

rpd123

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:10 am

Hi, Reilly. Good to see you. Knowledge of European comics is not mandatory, i assure you.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesShark Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:04 pm

As usual late to post in the introductions thread...

46 year old civil servant who cut my comics reading teeth on whichever British comic it was that had Pogles Wood in. Graduated through TV Century 21 to Countdown to British Marvel reprints (though in retrospect Countdown was probably as good as it ever got). 2000AD followed but I've not read an issue of that for years.

My first serious 'collection' was based around Claremont and Byrne's X-Men, but these days I buy a handful of DC books, nothing by Marvel (although I hear good things about Mark Waid's Daredevil so will check out the trade) and all the Mignola-verse can throw at me, as well as other indies.
BluesShark
BluesShark

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Was Pogle's Wood in TV Comic? I know there were Pogle's Wood Annuals...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesShark Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:49 pm

That sounds right Tony but to honest I have very , very grainy memories of the thing.

Just had the dispiriting experience of looking through my recently deceased business partners collection. Apparently he was a huge fan though he never communicated it to me. Sadly his collection has been stored in the loft in less than ideal condition. No great losses except some Avengers from 55 - 60 but realistically how much is a poor- copy of Avengers 55 worth in todays market?
BluesShark
BluesShark

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:47 pm

About two quid.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesShark Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:13 pm

Exactly. The enquiry was made on the grounds that there might be enough money in them to make it worth while p*ss*ng off the sole beneficiary of the will by selling them before they took possession of the property.

The answer, sadly was no - probably more irritating to leave them there to be disposed of.

Not all bad news though as Gary had an extensive jazz xollection on CD and vinyl, which is probably worth a bob or two.
BluesShark
BluesShark

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:28 pm

Every cloud has a silver lining-but I do hate to see good comics go to waste...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:28 pm

Welcome to the forum, BluesShark Smile
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Spektre Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:49 am

I am older than time itself.
I have seen whole Universes, nay Multiverses come and go.
The voice which commands me has seen the world, now remade, and saw that it was very bad.

Vengeance must be had.
SO COMMANDS THE SPEKTRE!
Spektre
Spektre

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:47 am

Hello, Spek! Nice to see your cosmic consciousness penetrated the veil to find us... Smile
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ramonschenk Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:21 am

Hello all!

My name is Ramon Schenk and I am a Dutch comics reader/collector/researcher. I first became aware of the enormous quantities of British comics in existence when I studied in Bath for a few years in the mid-1990s. I even found out that some of my old favourites were not Dutch but translations!

Picked up an extensive collection of Miller and Alan Class books, simply because they reprinted material that at the time seemed unobtainable in the American originals. I then branched out into original UK material, basically everything but humor (yeah, that takes out quite a chunk!).

I normally specialize in US comics, Charlton and pre-1980s in particular, but also keep up with many current titles.

For the Grand Comics Database, I am trying to get more information on British books and more books catalogued. Amazing to realize we have more Norwegian comics indexed than British!

Anyway, hope to pick the collective brains here once in a while, maybe even be of help to someone as well.

Regards,
Ramon
ramonschenk
ramonschenk

http://www.comics.org

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:15 pm

Welcome, Ramon! Nice to meet another Charlton fan: my own interests in that area are mostly the sixties and early seventies superhero titles and also the horror titles, which tend not to be well documented, things like The Many Ghosts of Doctor Graves. What British stuff are you getting into? Have you read any IPC?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ramonschenk Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:39 pm

I have a complete set of Many Ghosts, as well as most of the 1970s-up Charltons. Mostly some holes in the humor and romance genres.

My reading of British titles has been very limited. I am mostly interested in untangling the many publishers and their numerous aliases, brand names, mergers, buy-outs, owners etc. IPC is a very good example of this!

One way to do that is to record stuff like full names (including ", Ltd.", "& Co." etc.), brands and addresses.

I do this mostly for the Grand Comics Database. I am not allowed to post hyperlinks yet, or I would have shown some of my recent work, but hopefully soon!
ramonschenk
ramonschenk

Back to top Go down

Post by vark Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:48 pm

Hello, I'm vark from France and the path that has led me to Crikey! originates from my addiction to Pat Mills series (I have bought issue 12 last week and really enjoy it). I'm well aware now of his post 2000AD material and I have begun to dig the older stuff (Battle, Misty, Action, DC Thompson) and that explains why I'm here because it is very difficult to know which stories he has written or only edited. I'm also a member of a French Forum dedicated to newsstands comics the "Petits Formats' which are the equivalent of British comics like the one I have cited. There were also translated British material in those French small size comics (Charley's War and other Battle stuff for example).

vark

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:51 pm

Welcome to Crikey!, vark. Tony's the guy to ask if you want to know anything about Pat Mills Smile
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by ramonschenk Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:51 pm

Welcome, Vark! These people are really knowledgeable, so ask away! (And I might learn something in the meantime!)
ramonschenk
ramonschenk

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:14 pm

Always nice to see a new face! Welcome-and may I say, you have great taste in comics. Very Happy
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vark Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:41 pm

Thanks for your kind words!

A quick question to start (and then I will post the others on the dedicated sections of this Forum) to Ramon. Are you aware of any Dutch speaking language Marshal Law comics?

Last edited by vark on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelling)

vark

Back to top Go down

Post by ramonschenk Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:42 pm

No. Although it might have been in a magazine, such as the Dutch Métal Hurlant (Heavy Metal) or another adult title. I never collected those.
ramonschenk
ramonschenk

Back to top Go down

Post by vark Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:56 pm

There were a Dutch Métal Hurlant??! Anyway thanks to yourr quick response!

vark

Back to top Go down

Post by ramonschenk Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:01 pm

Yep. Short-lived, though: http://www.comics.org/series/33382/

(And maybe this should be moved to an off-topic thread...)
ramonschenk
ramonschenk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum