Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doctor Who Novelizations

4 posters

Go down

Doctor Who Novelizations Empty Doctor Who Novelizations

Post by Mbast1 Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:14 pm

I think this could be interesting:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/episodes-from-doctor-whos-revival-are-getting-the-old-s-1823362403

I have the Rose novel in my wishlist on Amazon. This makes me wonder about novelizations of old episodes. Any of them particularly good? Worth seeking out?
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Doctor Who Novelizations Empty Re: Doctor Who Novelizations

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:42 am

<lights the Tony signal>
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:57 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:<lights the Tony signal>

Maybe he's sleeping!
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by PhantomRambler Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:51 pm

Presume by "£old episodes" you're referring to the pre-2005 DW stories?
Practically all the pre-2005 stories were novelizesd in the original Target Books range, starting way back in the pre-VHS video age!. They were primarily geared at a young audience and generally only ran around 128 pages o do. One advantage they had was that where possible, the writers of the tv scripts were used to produce the Target edition, and so they had an opportunity to use elements that had been cut from the televised version or expand the background a bit.
They make an enjoyable read.
PhantomRambler
PhantomRambler

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:27 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:<lights the Tony signal>

Maybe he's sleeping!
Sorry...I'm awake, I'm awake! As far as I know, all but a handful of the classic stories were novelized, the only exceptions being Eric Saward's two Dalek stories and Douglas Adams's three stories. All of the Adams material has recently been novelized by other authors, and City of Death in particular is a very good read. Of the older stuff, I particularly recommend The Romans, The Gunfighters and The Myth Makers, all by Donald Cotton, because they are hilarious, and also Vitor Pemberton's mammoth retelling of Fury from the Deep. Soe of the late 70s novelisations are a bit thin, though, and add little to what was seen on screen. Generally, the earlier books are better, and the quality then picks up again towards the end of the range in the late eighties.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:07 pm

tony ingram wrote: As far as I know, all but a handful of the classic stories were novelized, the only exceptions being Eric Saward's two Dalek stories and Douglas Adams's three stories.

Man, I am never going to be able to finish all the stuff I want to read. Watch. Do...
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:32 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote: As far as I know, all but a handful of the classic stories were novelized, the only exceptions being Eric Saward's two Dalek stories and Douglas Adams's three stories.  

Man, I am never going to be able to finish all the stuff I want to read. Watch. Do...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:34 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Mbast1 wrote:

I think it took Target Books about twenty years to finish the range, but it migght take you less than that to read them. Just.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PhantomRambler Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:49 pm

tony ingram wrote:I think it took Target Books about twenty years to finish the range, but it migght take you less than that to read them. Just.
Yes - the original Target range started in 1970 and began adapting the Jon Pertwee 3rd Doctor, then continued on adapting the most recent season as the years went by with Hartnell and Toughton stories added to the mix. So the finished the last Sylvester McCoy series in 1990 with some "stragglers" following on after that. So 20 years is about right.

For what it's worth, my wife and I are watching all the Doctor Who DVDs in broadcast order; we started this about 5 years ago and have just got to the 20th Anniversary story "The Five Doctors". Why have we taken so long you ask? Well we do watch other things as well, take the occasional holiday and deal with Real Life... Cool
PhantomRambler
PhantomRambler

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:01 pm

PhantomRambler wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I think it took Target Books about twenty years to finish the range, but it migght take you less than that to read them. Just.
Yes - the original Target range started in 1970 and began adapting the Jon Pertwee 3rd Doctor, then continued on adapting the most recent season as the years went by with Hartnell and Toughton stories added to the mix. So the finished the last Sylvester McCoy series in 1990 with some "stragglers" following on after that. So 20 years is about right.

For what it's worth, my wife and I are watching all the Doctor Who DVDs in broadcast order; we started this about 5 years ago and have just got to the 20th Anniversary story "The Five Doctors". Why have we taken so long you ask? Well we do watch other things as well, take the occasional holiday and deal with Real Life... Cool
I did the marathon back in 2008-2009, but I keep thinking I should do it again now more of the lost stories have been released. Of course, there have been six more seasons since then, too...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down