Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Batgirl: Rebirth and beyond

4 posters

Go down

Batgirl: Rebirth and beyond Empty Batgirl: Rebirth and beyond

Post by MajorHoy Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:46 am

May 2018's Batgirl #23 was Hope Larson's final issue as writer.
I don't think DC ever officially announced that, but Larson had posted it on twitter back in April.

https://twitter.com/hopelarson/status/986256376350560257

Coming up in June,
Batgirl: Rebirth and beyond E398493d9387bcd26264fe839863340c_xl
Batgirl #24
U.S. Price: $3.99
On Sale: 6/27
After narrowly escaping the mazes of her own mind, Batgirl swings back into action to help Jacob Cesaro, an old classmate who has recently made some bad life decisions. Little does she know he’s now Two-Face’s latest recruit—and the key to his plans to take over the city! But Jacob’s not in it for the money and power promised by one of Gotham City’s greatest villains...he’s got something much more valuable in mind!
Art by: Scott Godlewski
Cover by: Dan Mora
Variant cover by: Joshua Middleton
Written by: Shawn Aldridge
https://www.dccomics.com/comics/batgirl-2016/batgirl-24

And also available in June,
Batgirl: Rebirth and beyond STL083586_BMPWED_BGRID_01_300-001_HD_5b0f40435bb7f5.70993318
BATMAN: PRELUDE TO THE WEDDING - BATGIRL VS. THE RIDDLER #1
On Sale 6/13
On the eve of Batman’s wedding to Catwoman, two of Gotham City’s finest minds clash. In her role as Oracle, Barbara Gordon wired all of her allies together. But when The Riddler takes on Batgirl, will he tear everything asunder?
Art by: Minkyu Jung
Cover by: Rafael Albuquerque
Written by: Tim Seeley
https://www.dccomics.com/comics/batman-prelude-to-the-wedding-2018/batman-prelude-to-the-wedding-batgirl-vs-the-riddler-1

Last edited by MajorHoy on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:18 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : revising thread title)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Batgirl: Rebirth and beyond Empty Re: Batgirl: Rebirth and beyond

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:00 am

Isn't 'has recently made some bad life decisions' comics-speak for 'is now a crack addict'?
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:43 pm

Uh oh.
Now I'm really wondering about where things will be going with Batgirl! Shocked

= NOTE: POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD! =

This was posted on the website polygon.com (which I don't know anything about, really).

= NOTE: POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD! =

= STILL WANT TO READ THIS? =

= YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!! =

Get your first look at Batgirl’s new costume — and her new direction
Writer Mairghread Scott is taking over the book
By Meg Downey    Jun 15, 2018, 12:37pm EDT

Barbara Gordon’s world is about to be flipped upside down as a new era dawns for Burnside’s favorite daughter. Complete with a brand new look and an all new creative team made up of writer Mairghread Scott and artists Paul Pelletier and Elena Casagrande, Batgirl is leaving her neighborhood and heading back to Gotham City proper to face down a new — and deeply personal — threat, starting with Batgirl #26 on August 22nd.
With a design concept by Sean Gordon Murphy, Babs’ new look is a pretty far cry from the pastel purple moto jacket she’s been wearing since the Batgirl of Burnside soft reboot back in 2015.
Batgirl: Rebirth and beyond Bg_cv210
“This is supposed to be a version of the costume that she was working on when she still lived with her dad,” Scott explained in reference to her new, more classic look. “That’s why it looks so much like her original Batgirl: Year One outfit — like, she’s with her dad. She can’t get out back to Burnside, and this is like the emergency. So the version that she was working on [back in the day] that she had stashed here just in case. It helps us with the story a little bit too, because it’s a little less bright — we wanted her to be more stealthy, and we want her to be able to integrate some more tech with the belt.”
And by the sound of things, that emphasis on stealth is going to come in handy. Barbara is headed home to face off against a villain named Grotesque, who harkens back to Batgirl’s original New 52 era run. Created by Gail Simone and Ardian Syaf, Grotesque was “originally, this sort of adrenaline junkie who liked to steal the finer things in life,” according to Scott, “but he got sent away to Blackgate. Now he’s back and we learn that his time in prison has really changed him.”
“Changed” might be a bit of an understatement here. Grotesque’s new M.O. is no longer just trying to steal fine art — he wants to make it. Brutally. Batgirl uncovers a string of grizzly “art pieces” constructed out of human body parts at the scenes of various crimes.
“Things like Perseus with the Head of Medusa, but maybe it’s got a real person’s head. Or a still life, but made up of human hands,” Scott clarified with a grin, “He’s still stealing things, of course, but it’s different now — he’s escalating. And Batgirl has to stop him.”
But it’s not going to be easy — on top Grotesque’s grisly reappearance, Babs suffers what Scott calls a “really traumatic injury” at the start of the arc. “The implant that allows her to walk is shorting out,” she explained, and that’s not all. “But when that happens, [Babs’] is just like, ‘Oh, okay, my legs aren’t working, I can deal with that. It’s fine.’ Because she was Oracle for a long time, you know? She knows how to operate without the chip.”
You can read the full article here: https://www.polygon.com/comics/2018/6/15/17466032/batgirl-new-costume-redesign
But I will throw in one bit from later on in that story:
. . . But Babs’ new status quo isn’t all darkness and struggle — the Burnside era isn’t being tossed out the window and Babs won’t be returned to her position as Oracle full time, “That’s kind of a spoiler, I guess, but I want to get ahead of that. We don’t want to tease people with that.”

Personally, I really question the idea of making Grotesque a villain who uses human body parts to create "art". It's not all that original a concept; you had a character in Mother Panic (DC / Young Animal) who did something similar, and over at Marvel, there was Muse from Charles Soule's recent run.
The more I hear about this, I'll continue to question whether I'll bother staying with this title or not.  

Batgirl: Rebirth and beyond Batgir10
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Why on Earth would Batgirl have boot treads that look like bats? That means that the world and her wife can track her all over the city!
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:31 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Why on Earth would Batgirl have boot treads that look like bats? That means that the world and her wife can track her all over the city!
Her wife? scratch

Unless the new writer is really making changes to Barbara, last I remember she was straight.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:51 am

Coming up later this month,
Batgirl: Rebirth and beyond B894b9cc153dc7ce3b537c244077e89c_xl
Batgirl #25
U.S. Price: $4.99
On Sale 7/25
On her return to Gotham City, family matters force Barbara to confront her complicated relationship with Dick Grayson. But does Dick have time for a heart-to-heart while subbing as Batman when Bruce Wayne is out of action?
This extra-sized anniversary issue also offers a look at the next arc of the series by Mairghread Scott and Paul Pelletier as the monstrous villain Grotesque murders wealthy art owners and defiles their bodies to create his own “art.”
And since this is the issue that keeps on giving, also look for a special backup story by Harley Quinn co-creator Paul Dini and artist Emanuela Lupacchino.
Art by: Paul Pelletier, Dan Panosian, Emanuela Lupacchino
Cover by: Rafael Albuquerque
Written by: Paul Dini, Mairghread Scott, Marguerite Bennett
https://www.dccomics.com/comics/batgirl-2016/batgirl-25

Last edited by MajorHoy on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : replaced missing image with another version)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:24 am

I thought Elena Casagrande was going to be one of the new art team?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:18 pm

tony ingram wrote:I thought Elena Casagrande was going to be one of the new art team?
She's listed as the artist on the annual (Annual #2 comes out next month), and from the previous post about the changes coming to the book, it did say
. . . an all new creative team made up of writer Mairghread Scott and artists Paul Pelletier and Elena Casagrande . . .
so maybe she'll be doing a different arc after the first one (or possibly taking over as artist after a few issues by Pelletier)?
Pelletier is still listed for issue #27 (due out in September); we'll have to see what's up with issue #28 when October solicitations are released (probably in the next week or two).
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:30 am

MajorHoy wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:Why on Earth would Batgirl have boot treads that look like bats? That means that the world and her wife can track her all over the city!
Her wife?  scratch

Unless the new writer is really making changes to Barbara, last I remember she was straight.

She may be straight, but the world isn't...
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:41 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Her wife?  scratch

A variation on "the world and his wife", an English expression which basically just means "everybody".
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:09 pm

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
Her wife?  scratch

A variation on "the world and his wife", an English expression which basically just means "everybody".
Well, if you change "his" to "her", you should probably have changed "wife" to either "husband" or the more gender-neutral options like "spouse" or "partner".
Just sayin' . . .
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:53 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
Her wife?  scratch

Well, if you change "his" to "her", you should probably have changed "wife" to either "husband" or the more gender-neutral options like "spouse" or "partner".
Just sayin' . . .
Doesn't really scan as well...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:03 am

MajorHoy wrote:Well, if you change "his" to "her", you should probably have changed "wife" to either "husband" or the more gender-neutral options like "spouse" or "partner".
Just sayin' . . .

Google tells me that gay marriage has been legal in Connecticut since 2008.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:50 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:Well, if you change "his" to "her", you should probably have changed "wife" to either "husband" or the more gender-neutral options like "spouse" or "partner".
Just sayin' . . .
Oh, I'm aware it is.
But, as far as I know, Babs hasn't been written in regular-continuity stories as being that way.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:10 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:
Just sayin' . . .
Oh, I'm aware it is.
But, as far as I know, Babs hasn't been written in regular-continuity stories as being that way.
I don't think anbody was suggesting she was. It's just an expression.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:53 pm

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:
Just sayin' . . .
Oh, I'm aware it is.
But, as you pointed out, the expression was changed by Lucy from "his wife" to "her wife" for no apparent reason.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:03 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:
Just sayin' . . .
Oh, I'm aware it is.
But, as you pointed out, the expression was changed by Lucy from "his wife" to "her wife" for no apparent reason.
It's just something that people over here sometimes do these days. It's not significant. The current generation, at least here, simply don't always assume that someone with a wife is necessarily male. It did not relate to Barbara Gordon. It's just an expression.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:09 am

MajorHoy wrote:Coming up later this month,
Batgirl: Rebirth and beyond Batgirl_25_5b7da364946975.15540130
Batgirl #25
On Sale 7/25
https://www.dccomics.com/comics/batgirl-2016/batgirl-25
And a couple of days after I posted that, newsarama posted this:
BATGIRL #25 Pushed Back 3 Weeks
https://www.newsarama.com/40788-batgirl-25-pushed-back-3-weeks.html

Bottom line: Batgirl #25 now won't be out until August 15th.

However, at last check, Batgirl #26 was still listed as being out on August 22nd, and Batgirl Annual #2 is due out August 29th. (Go figure.)

Last edited by MajorHoy on Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:56 am

MajorHoy wrote:And a couple of days after I posted that, newsarama posted this:

However, at last check, Batgirl #26 was still listed as being out on August 22nd, and Batgirl Annual #2 is due out August 29th. (Go figure.)
By the way, Batgirl #26 was later pushed out to August 29th, but Batgirl Annual #2 is also still due out August 29th?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:15 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:And a couple of days after I posted that, newsarama posted this:

By the way, Batgirl #26 was later pushed out to August 29th, but Batgirl Annual #2 is also still due out August 29th?

In fact, according to Dc Comics website, both Batgirl # 26 and the all female creative team Annual # 2 are supposed to be in shops next 29 August, in just seven days from now! Cool
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

https://editorialecorno.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:51 pm

Barry_Allen wrote:In fact, according to Dc Comics website, both Batgirl # 26 and the all female creative team Annual # 2 are supposed to be in shops next 29 August, in just seven days from now! Cool
Speaking of issue #26,

Batgirl: Rebirth and beyond 14defc7aaa5934558a21542e76ecbcf3_xl
BATGIRL #26
“Art of the Crime” part one. During a high-speed chase with murderous art thief Grotesque, the villain K.O.’s Batgirl with a souped-up stun gun that temporarily fries the device implanted in her spine. (That thing that helps her, you know, walk and be Batgirl?) Babs finds herself in for a whole new world of hurt now that old wounds have been opened up—and so does Grotesque.
Art by: Paul Pelletier
Cover by: Sean Murphy
Written by: Mairghread Scott
On Sale Date: Aug 29 2018
https://www.dccomics.com/comics/batgirl-2016/batgirl-26

And the variant cover:
Batgirl: Rebirth and beyond Fc25bac287d8bcad897e46f7f60272e3_xl
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:58 pm

Also,
Batgirl: Rebirth and beyond 4456ffe7834cd87122c80dc399e80105_xl
BATGIRL ANNUAL #2
Sibling rivalry takes on a whole new meaning in this one-shot story that tracks Batgirl’s hunt for a serial killer whose M.O. strikes a familiar chord. Namely, a disturbing similarity to her brother, current convict James Gordon Jr. Family bonds are restored during a visit to his maximum- security surroundings, but Babs’ doubts linger. Is James Jr. helping to solve this case…or pulling her strings in a diabolical power play?
Art by: Elena Casagrande
Cover by: Emanuela Lupacchino
Page Count: 48
On Sale Date: Aug 29 2018
https://www.dccomics.com/comics/batgirl-2016/batgirl-annual-2
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Batgirl: Rebirth and beyond Empty BATGIRL #27

Post by MajorHoy Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:29 pm

For September 2018,
Batgirl: Rebirth and beyond E7a76a81e6af348469afccdcbf0709a4_xl
BATGIRL #27
You can’t go home again. But that’s just where Barbara Gordon, a.k.a. Batgirl, is forced to go when the chip granting her mobility keeps shorting out in the aftermath of her clash with Grotesque. Will Commissioner Gordon drive Babs totally bonkers with his bedside manner? Or will the malfunctioning tech impact more than just her legs? Plus, what’s the deal with killer art critic Grotesque and his murderous new M.O.? It’s all in part two of “Art of the Crime.”
Art by: Norm Rapmund, Paul Pelletier
Cover by: Sean Murphy
On Sale Date: Sep 26 2018
https://www.dccomics.com/comics/batgirl-2016/batgirl-27[/quote]

variant cover:
Batgirl: Rebirth and beyond 859abd70723c0a491cc8644fd2f0b593_xl
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:40 pm

By the way, after reading issue #27, does it seem a little too obvious that the current Grotesque could be
Spoiler:
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:21 am

MajorHoy wrote:By the way, after reading issue #27, does it seem a little too obvious that the current Grotesque could be
Spoiler:
Seems fairly likely, since there are a very limited number of suspects and I doubt it's Jim Gordon...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:21 pm

Due out Wednesday, January 2, 2019 (since DC didn't ship new issues of comic books for December 26th, 2018):
Batgirl: Rebirth and beyond Batgir11
BATGIRL #30
You can take the Batgirl out of Gotham City, but you can’t take Gotham out of the Batgirl! Politics gets personal as the race for Congress in Gotham City heats up, leading to civil unrest in Barbara’s new neighborhood—as a new villain begins to make themselves known!
Art & Cover by: Norm Rapmund, Paul Pelletier
U.S. Cover Price: $3.99
On Sale Date: Jan 2 2019
https://www.dccomics.com/comics/batgirl-2016/batgirl-30

And the variant cover:
Batgirl: Rebirth and beyond Batgir12

There will also be a second issue (#31) shipping for January 30th (the fifth Wednesday of the month), then in February we go back to the 4th Wednesday of the month for issue #32.

Batgirl: Rebirth and beyond 377750
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down