Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jack Kirby Died 25 Years Ago Today

3 posters

Go down

Jack Kirby Died 25 Years Ago Today Empty Jack Kirby Died 25 Years Ago Today

Post by tony ingram Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:12 pm

February 6th 1994 was the date we lost the King of comics. Still a legend.
Jack Kirby Died 25 Years Ago Today Img207-1
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Jack Kirby Died 25 Years Ago Today Empty Re: Jack Kirby Died 25 Years Ago Today

Post by Mbast1 Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:50 pm

tony ingram wrote:February 6th 1994 was the date we lost the King of comics. Still a legend.
Jack Kirby Died 25 Years Ago Today Img207-1

Yep, much as I love Stan Lee, I wish Kirby (and Ditko) got more credit for the MCU. Their work was vital. And I find that the older I get the more appealing Kirby's work is.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:22 pm

For sheer dynamism, I'm not sure he's ever been equalled, let alone bettered. I loved those early Avengers issues, and his return to Marvel in the 70's.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:30 pm

We have missed him too early, also compared to Stan very long life; of course his run on FF is unrepeatable but his ideas were always fantastic, just think of his Fourth World characters that still rock on Dc Comics line-up and I even loved his Kirbyverse for Topps| Very Happy Cool
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

https://editorialecorno.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:50 pm

Barry_Allen wrote: just think of his Fourth World characters

I REALLY need to track down his Fourth World run and read it all the way through. Not sure I even really know what issues it all covered, but I should make the effort. And JUST his work, nothing from later. I have already read the derivative stuff, need to read the originals.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
Barry_Allen wrote: just think of his Fourth World characters

I REALLY need to track down his Fourth World run and read it all the way through. Not sure I even really know what issues it all covered, but I should make the effort. And JUST his work, nothing from later. I have already read the derivative stuff, need to read the originals.
I know this is probably an unusual opinion, but of the fourth world stuff, all that ever really grabbed me were Mister Miracle and, most of all, Jimmy Olsen, which was decidedly peripheral to the rest. I really liked his Jimmy Olsen.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:05 pm

tony ingram wrote:I know this is probably an unusual opinion, but of the fourth world stuff, all that ever really grabbed me were Mister Miracle and, most of all, Jimmy Olsen, which was decidedly peripheral to the rest. I really liked his Jimmy Olsen.

No more unusual than other opinions I've seen. Do you think it's worth reading the story as a whole? Through Hunger Dogs?
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:54 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I know this is probably an unusual opinion, but of the fourth world stuff, all that ever really grabbed me were Mister Miracle and, most of all, Jimmy Olsen, which was decidedly peripheral to the rest. I really liked his Jimmy Olsen.

No more unusual than other opinions I've seen. Do you think it's worth reading the story as a whole? Through Hunger Dogs?
I think it may well benefit from being read as a complete work. I think Kirby had a flair for epics which didn't necessarily work so well as disjointed, separate chunks, if you see what I mean. His Eternals certainly worked better for me when read all together.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:58 pm

[quote="tony ingram"]
Mbast1 wrote:I think it may well benefit from being read as a complete work. I think Kirby had a flair for epics which didn't necessarily work so well as disjointed, separate chunks, if you see what I mean. His Eternals certainly worked better for me when read all together.

I feel the same way about Morrison. I'll look for these, then, after I figure out what issues I'll need. Thank you!
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down