What About Brexit

Go down

What About Brexit Empty What About Brexit

Post by karatattoo on Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:49 pm

I'm curious about what is happening in the U.K. concerning Brexit.

BBC World News is available here in the U.S. While the programs are made for an American audience, the source material originates in the U.K. One of the programs is a Saturday evening half-hour on the previous week's events with Brexit.

I have relatives in St. Helens, England, some of whom voted to stay, while others voted to leave. All of them are very worried about what may, or may not, occur.

It seems to me the best option is to allow a second referendum on the issue, before there is no turning back.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks.
karatattoo
karatattoo

Back to top Go down

What About Brexit Empty Re: What About Brexit

Post by tony ingram on Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:04 pm

My fear is that holding a second referendum will just cause more resentment. If it goes the other way this time, seventeen million leave voters will simply feel that their votes were worthless and their opinions are being ignored. The country was asked to vote, and it voted. The government had an obligation to carry out the will of the majority, and they are now desperately trying to avoid doing so. That isn't democracy.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy on Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:48 pm

tony ingram wrote:My fear is that holding a second referendum will just cause more resentment. If it goes the other way this time, seventeen million leave voters will simply feel that their votes were worthless and their opinions are being ignored. The country was asked to vote, and it voted. The government had an obligation to carry out the will of the majority, and they are now desperately trying to avoid doing so. That isn't democracy.
But how many of those people had no clue what they were really voting for, or what all it would involve?

If the original vote was really the "will of the majority", shouldn't a new vote just reaffirm the original results?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:58 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:My fear is that holding a second referendum will just cause more resentment. If it goes the other way this time, seventeen million leave voters will simply feel that their votes were worthless and their opinions are being ignored. The country was asked to vote, and it voted. The government had an obligation to carry out the will of the majority, and they are now desperately trying to avoid doing so. That isn't democracy.
But how many of those people had no clue what they were really voting for, or what all it would involve?

If the original vote was really the "will of the majority", shouldn't a new vote just reaffirm the original results?
The remainers have been pushing the idea that leavers voted through ignorance for months. I find that quite offensive. From those I've spoken to, most weren't even listening to much of what the various campaigners were saying; a lot of the older generation, including my own father and in-laws, voted leave for the simple reason that they never believed we should go into the EU in the first place, but had previously had no say in it. There's been a lot of talk about us having voted in the 1970's, but that vote was on membership in the EEC, a trade partnership only. The EU in its current form has only existed since the signing of the Maastricht treaty in 1992. There was no consultation on that. The whole Brexit issue has caused a massive schism between those who grew up in the EU post '92 and those who recall life before it.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:31 am

As much of a mess as US politics is at the moment, can i just say I really hope Britain comes through their current troubles well and whole? Take care, British friends!
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram on Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:36 am

Mbast1 wrote:As much of a mess as US politics is at the moment, can i just say I really hope Britain comes through their current troubles well and whole? Take care, British friends!
Thank you. Right now, we have no idea what's going to happen next, but whatever it is, it won't be pretty.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:24 am

That's why I worry. For you, but we're also more than a bit chaotic. So, let's hope both countries do well. The world needs the stability.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum