Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Terrance Dicks RIP

3 posters

Go down

Terrance Dicks RIP Empty Terrance Dicks RIP

Post by tony ingram Mon 02 Sep 2019, 7:20 pm

Longtime Doctor Who writer and script editor Terrance Dicks, the man who penned classic stories like Robot, The Brain of Morbius and The Five Doctors and whose more than sixty Target Books Doctor Who novelisations taught generations of British kids to love reading, has died aged 84. Farewell to the man who first told us that the Doctor should "never be cruel or cowardly"...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Terrance Dicks RIP Empty Re: Terrance Dicks RIP

Post by Mbast1 Tue 03 Sep 2019, 8:53 pm

tony ingram wrote:Longtime Doctor Who writer and script editor Terrance Dicks, the man who penned classic stories like Robot, The Brain of Morbius and The Five Doctors and whose more than sixty Target Books Doctor Who novelisations taught generations of British kids to love reading, has died aged 84. Farewell to the man who first told us that the Doctor should "never be cruel or cowardly"...

I think his novels were my first introduction to The Doctor. RIP.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue 03 Sep 2019, 9:10 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Longtime Doctor Who writer and script editor Terrance Dicks, the man who penned classic stories like Robot, The Brain of Morbius and The Five Doctors and whose more than sixty Target Books Doctor Who novelisations taught generations of British kids to love reading, has died aged 84. Farewell to the man who first told us that the Doctor should "never be cruel or cowardly"...

I think his novels were my first introduction to The Doctor. RIP.
I think they were a lot of people's, to be honest!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Sat 07 Sep 2019, 12:43 am

tony ingram wrote:I think they were a lot of people's, to be honest!

I really wanted to read them all, but I had it in my head that there was "too much" back story to learn.
Sometimes I wonder about myself.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat 07 Sep 2019, 12:36 pm

Mbast1 wrote:

I really wanted to read them all, but I had it in my head that there was "too much" back story to learn.
To me, all that backstory was a lure rather than a deterrent. It was the same with comics. Tell me there was more to know and I needed to know it!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat 07 Sep 2019, 2:58 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Mbast1 wrote:
To me, all that backstory was a lure rather than a deterrent. It was the same with comics. Tell me there was more to know and I needed to know it!
Some of the issues with "too much backstory" may also depend on how easily available the material may be and how much time you have to track it all down then read it.
It may also depend on how "relevant" the older stories still are to what's being told now. Older DC comics stories use to be a lot more pertinent in the past than they have become as a result of all the reboots DC's thrown at us over the past 10-30+ years and how often more recent writers seem to twist or just overall ignore what came before.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum