Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is DC making Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott) a gay man in the past?

4 posters

Go down

Is DC making Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott) a gay man in the past? Empty Is DC making Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott) a gay man in the past?

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:43 am

Anybody remember this from the old thread "Mystery super-gay due to emerge from closet"?
tony ingram wrote:It seems likely now that Alan Scott is our mystery gay guy, which pretty much wraps up DC's quest to change every significant thing about the JSA and also sccessfully eliminates any last, lingering hopes that Jade and Obsidian might still exist. Terrific.
tony ingram wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:Where'd you hear that?
BleedingCool.

Well, guess what Bleeding Cool recently ran?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Is DC making Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott) a gay man in the past? Empty Re: Is DC making Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott) a gay man in the past?

Post by Mbast1 Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:07 pm

MajorHoy wrote:Well, guess what Bleeding Cool recently ran?

There's a VERY small hint in the GL special issue. Not even sure it is what people think. Vague.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Is DC making Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott) a gay man in the past? Empty Re: Is DC making Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott) a gay man in the past?

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:57 am

Mbast1 wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:Well, guess what Bleeding Cool recently ran?
There's a VERY small hint in the GL special issue. Not even sure it is what people think. Vague.
That was mentioned (with some panels from the issue shown) in the Bleeding Cool post.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:06 pm

Really not happy about this. Why can't they just give us our characters back, without changing their established histories?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:35 pm

tony ingram wrote:Really not happy about this. Why can't they just give us our characters back, without changing their established histories?
Mild "tweaks" would be one thing, but this ain't a "little" change.

As I've said elsewhere, if they want a gay hero back in the 1940s, they should revive All-Star Squadron and create one there, like they did when they gave us a black "Golden Age" hero in Amazing Man. Hell, they could even take a Golden Age hero who had very little exposure back then and have that hero replaced by a gay successor.

But DC doesn't give a hoot about what I would like them to do . . .
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:48 pm

MajorHoy wrote:Mild "tweaks" would be one thing, but this ain't a "little" change.

In terms of what they're likely to do with the little they showed, I think it is small. In that it looked to be merely a hint, with no background, and I'd bet it was meant connect to the E2 version without really changing the GA version. Or, rather, the modern version of the GA version. Or whatever this is.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:38 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:Mild "tweaks" would be one thing, but this ain't a "little" change.
In terms of what they're likely to do with the little they showed, I think it is small. In that it looked to be merely a hint, with no background, and I'd bet it was meant connect to the E2 version without really changing the GA version. Or, rather, the modern version of the GA version. Or whatever this is.
If they are in any way, shape, or form implying that Golden Age Alan Scott was gay, that changes the character. No ifs, ands, or buts about that, even if it doesn't play a major part in any immediate storyline (when DC bothers to use the JSA in a story).

At least, that's how I feel about it. That's not something that was "hinted at" during all the years prior to the disappearance of the JSA in the New52, so there's no need to retroactively make a revision like that now.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:22 pm

That's my feeling, too. But, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:52 am

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Really not happy about this. Why can't they just give us our characters back, without changing their established histories?
Mild "tweaks" would be one thing, but this ain't a "little" change.

As I've said elsewhere, if they want a gay hero back in the 1940s, they should revive All-Star Squadron and create one there, like they did when they gave us a black "Golden Age" hero in Amazing Man. Hell, they could even take a Golden Age hero who had very little exposure back then and have that hero replaced by a gay successor...

I completely agree with you guys, these retcon things usually are an epic fail, not only in comics, especially when they want to promote the "politically correct"...
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

https://editorialecorno.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:15 pm

tony ingram wrote:That's my feeling, too. But, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.
It played out.

SPOILER: from Infinite Frontier #0
Is DC making Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott) a gay man in the past? -_infi11

SPOILER if you haven't read this yet . . .

. . . last SPOILER warning . . .

Remember, you were warned:

Is DC making Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott) a gay man in the past? -_infi12

Is DC making Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott) a gay man in the past? -_infi14
Is DC making Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott) a gay man in the past? -_infi13
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:45 am

Really didn't like this. It just felt forced.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:17 pm

tony ingram wrote:Really didn't like this. It just felt forced.
I don't know if I'd used the term "forced" as opposed to "clumsily written / handled".

Then again, I've never dealt with anyone just coming out, so I'm not an authority on how these things go.

As I've said before, I'm totally not in favor of it. I understood why they made the New52/Earth 2 Alan gay (as a nod to a no-longer-then-in-continuity Obsidian), but we have Obsidian back now. Golden Age Green Lantern, as far as I'm aware, was not previously written/created to be gay, but then political agendas within the creative community are probably much different than they were 80+ years ago.
(And I still think Tynion is a lousy writer in general.)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:27 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Really didn't like this. It just felt forced.
I don't know if I'd used the term "forced" as opposed to "clumsily written / handled".

Then again, I've never dealt with anyone just coming out, so I'm not an authority on how these things go.

As I've said before, I'm totally not in favor of it.  I understood why they made the New52/Earth 2 Alan gay (as a nod to a no-longer-then-in-continuity Obsidian), but we have Obsidian back now.  Golden Age Green Lantern, as far as I'm aware, was not previously written/created to be gay, but then political agendas within the creative community are probably much different than they were 80+ years ago.
(And I still think Tynion is a lousy writer in general.)
Thing is, it's all very well for them to say that this changes nothing about the character's history, but I think if Alan had actually been gay all along, it might have ben reflected in one of his thought balloons, across the decades in which thought balloons were still a thing...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:39 pm

tony ingram wrote:Thing is, it's all very well for them to say that this changes nothing about the character's history, but I think if Alan had actually been gay all along, it might have ben reflected in one of his thought balloons, across the decades in which thought balloons were still a thing...
Not to mention what (if anything?) will happen with his wife (former wife?) Molly Mayne.

Is DC making Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott) a gay man in the past? All-am25
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Barry_Allen likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:11 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Thing is, it's all very well for them to say that this changes nothing about the character's history, but I think if Alan had actually been gay all along, it might have ben reflected in one of his thought balloons, across the decades in which thought balloons were still a thing...
Not to mention what (if anything?) will happen with his wife (former wife?) Molly Mayne.

Is DC making Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott) a gay man in the past? All-am25
I've a feeling they may have quietly killed her off, off panel. Which would be annoying.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:54 pm

Alan Scott and Obsidian feature in a story in the DC Pride Special. Still no mention of Molly.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:44 pm

tony ingram wrote:Alan Scott and Obsidian feature in a story in the DC Pride Special. Still no mention of Molly.
And I wonder if they'll go out of their way not to mention her for the foreseeable future.

Any story revealing how all that played out may not be as easy to write in a way that doesn't make Alan look like a heel.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:45 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Alan Scott and Obsidian feature in a story in the DC Pride Special. Still no mention of Molly.
And I wonder if they'll go out of their way not to mention her for the foreseeable future.

Any story revealing how all that played out may not be as easy to write in a way that doesn't make Alan look like a heel.
I was thinking that...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:28 am

I didn't noticed this Dc Pride special in last months solicitations, was it solicited in Dc Connect or was it a "digital first"? 
And was the Klaus Janson drawn story worth, in your opinion?
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:33 pm

Barry_Allen wrote:
I didn't noticed this Dc Pride special in last months solicitations, was it solicited in Dc Connect or was it a "digital first"?
It's a one-shot that DC announced back in March along with their other June comic book solicitations.

Is DC making Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott) a gay man in the past? Dc20pr10
DC Pride #1
* written by James Tynion IV, Mariko Tamaki, Steve Orlando, Vita Ayala, Nicole Maines, Danny Lore, Sam Johns, Sina Grace, and Andrew Wheeler
* art by KLAUS JANSON, AMY REEDER, STEPHEN BYRNE, TRUNG LÊ NGUYEN, LUCIANo VECCHIO, LISA STERLE, RACHAEL STOTT, RO STEIN, TED BRANDT, SKYLAR PATRIDGE, AND MORE!
* cover by Jim Lee, Scott Williams, and Tamra Bonvillain
* Pride card stock variant cover by JEN BARTEL
* ON SALE 6/8/2021
* $9.99 US | 80 PAGES | Prestige | DC
* DC celebrates Pride Month with nine all-new stories starring fan-favorite LGBTQIA+ characters Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Midnighter, Extraño, Batwoman, Aqualad, Alan Scott, Obsidian, Future State Flash, Renee Montoya, Pied Piper, and many more! This anthology will also feature:
—The thrilling introduction of new hero DREAMER in the DCU 
(as seen on The CW’s Supergirl)!
—A pinup gallery with art by Travis Moore, Kris Anka, Kevin Wada, Sophie Campbell, Nick Robles, and more!
—Six exciting new profiles of DCTV’s LGBTQIA+ characters and the actors who play them!
https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-solicitations-june-2021/

It's sort of like last month's DC FESTIVAL OF HEROES: THE ASIAN SUPERHERO CELEBRATION #1 one-shot.
https://www.dccomics.com/comics/dc-festival-of-heroes-the-asian-superhero-celebration-2021/dc-festival-of-heroes-the-asian
https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-solicitations-may-2021/
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Barry_Allen likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:16 am

Thanks for the info Major!  Cool With a cover price of $ 9.99 and with these "not so big" creators, apart from old Klaus Janson, I had let this special go... Rolling Eyes
And yes, I remember the Asian superhero celebration solicited but I let it go too...  Is DC making Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott) a gay man in the past? 1f607
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down