Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Willy the Kid

3 posters

Go down

Willy the Kid Empty Willy the Kid

Post by Stigandnasty Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:31 pm

Anyone out there know anything about the third Willy the Kid book, produced by Leo Baxendale in the seventies. I am lucky enough to own the first two but have never had a sniff of the third. Does it actually exist, and does anyone have a copy - I'd even like to see scans of the covers and endpapers.

Baxendale is the Jack Kirby of british humour comics. From his early days on the Beano to the anarchic greatness of Odhams Wham, Smash and Pow!, I don't think anyone has had more influence on humour comics in the last fifty years.
Stigandnasty
Stigandnasty

Back to top Go down

Willy the Kid Empty Re: Willy the Kid

Post by Spiff_B Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:58 pm

I've got book 3 -- not as good as the second one, which in turn wasn't as good as the first, but then the first Willy the Kid book is the single best humour annual I've ever read.
Spiff_B
Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by Stigandnasty Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:15 pm

I will have to go in search all over again. I've just finished reading Leo Baxendale' book, A Very Funny Business, an excellent ramble through his life and well worth a read.
Stigandnasty
Stigandnasty

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiff_B Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:52 pm

I've got A Very Funny Business somewhere, haven't read it yet -- Was very surprised when I found it in a charity shop.
Spiff_B
Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by Stigandnasty Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:10 pm

Well I went in search of Book 3, found it on Abebooks and it arrived this morning.
Stigandnasty
Stigandnasty

Back to top Go down

Post by MLP* Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:30 pm

I've got all three annuals. They are incredibly dog eared having been read to destruction as a kid. Smile

The third is perhaps the weakest. ISTR hearing that Baxendale ran incredibly late with it and it certainly has an "unfinished" feel with pages of text filling it out.
I remember being very disappointed as a kid to discover that there would be no further books in the series.

Baxendale has a collected edition for sale on his website for anyone with a spare hundred quid !
MLP*
MLP*

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiff_B Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:14 am

How did you know it was the last one? Or is there something in it I've forgotten that made it obvious there wouldn't be more?
Spiff_B
Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by MLP* Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:00 pm

Spiff_B wrote:How did you know it was the last one? Or is there something in it I've forgotten that made it obvious there wouldn't be more?

My parents ordered it from the publisher who told them there wouldn't be any more.
MLP*
MLP*

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum