Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Curse of the Black Spot

+3
tony ingram
felneymike
Lucy Ingram
7 posters

Go down

Rate The Curse of the Black Spot

The Curse of the Black Spot Vote_lcap0%The Curse of the Black Spot Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
The Curse of the Black Spot Vote_lcap20%The Curse of the Black Spot Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 1 ]
The Curse of the Black Spot Vote_lcap20%The Curse of the Black Spot Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
The Curse of the Black Spot Vote_lcap40%The Curse of the Black Spot Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 5

The Curse of the Black Spot Empty The Curse of the Black Spot

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat May 07, 2011 1:03 pm

So, what did we all think?
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

The Curse of the Black Spot Empty Re: The Curse of the Black Spot

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat May 07, 2011 7:08 pm

I thought that was a bit weak, to be honest. Nice conceit, but using the same ending for two episodes in a row is pathetic.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by felneymike Sat May 07, 2011 7:39 pm

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?

felneymike

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat May 07, 2011 8:10 pm

Well, it was rather lightweight compared to the season opener, but I guess it was inevitable that they couldn't give us seven weeks straight of that kind of moody intensity (and complexity). A bit of a romp, but quite fun I thought.

Oh, and since every other scurvy swab's forum has 'em-I've added a poll. I'll also add 'em to the last couple of episodes for the sake of completism...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 Sun May 08, 2011 2:21 am

Garbage.

I'm giving it till next week and then calling it a dy, I think. It's a chore sitting through this drivel now. I'd rather just stick to classic (and maybe Eccles). Loyalty only lasts so long, and mine has taken enough.
codywillis1
codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun May 08, 2011 9:44 am

I really think we must be watching different shows, Cody. Particularly after last week... Shocked
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 Sun May 08, 2011 10:58 am

Clearly!
codywillis1
codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Sun May 08, 2011 10:59 am

Take off your TARDIS visor, Tony. This is rubbish. Can somebody tell me why there is always a mist blowing over these types of ships? And why there is always a stereotypical black man on board? And all the others look like poor imitations of Robert Newton. And the guy who plays Pond's fella - did he suddenly get pissed when the Siren came along? He was 'acting' like he'd just necked 10 pints of bitter! And as I've said before, I find the Doctor's quirkiness and 'humour' a little difficult to stomach. To top it all, I just had to turn the TV over when I saw the cute kid from Emmerdale make his appearance. The BBC still can't make their minds up if this programme is for kids or adults; it flounders in limbo, somewhere between. It has great potential but sadly nothing else.
GBF
GBF

http://www.glennbfleming.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun May 08, 2011 12:07 pm

GBF wrote:Take off your TARDIS visor, Tony. This is rubbish. Can somebody tell me why there is always a mist blowing over these types of ships? And why there is always a stereotypical black man on board? And all the others look like poor imitations of Robert Newton. And the guy who plays Pond's fella - did he suddenly get pissed when the Siren came along? He was 'acting' like he'd just necked 10 pints of bitter!
He was acting that way because he was being affected by the Siren as a result of being marked by her-that was kind of the point of the scene. That's why the Captain said 'it turns them into fools'.
And as I've said before, I find the Doctor's quirkiness and 'humour' a little difficult to stomach. To top it all, I just had to turn the TV over when I saw the cute kid from Emmerdale make his appearance. The BBC still can't make their minds up if this programme is for kids or adults; it flounders in limbo, somewhere between. It has great potential but sadly nothing else.
I personally would be delighted if we got seven weeks of stuff like those first two episodes, but we were never likely to. It isn't that the show can't decide whether it's for adults or children-it's that it's supposed to be for both, so it has to provide something for all age groups. This is supposed to be a family show, not a childrens show for 5.00PM on CBBC or a show for the adults to settle down to at 8.00PM after the kids are in bed and the washing up is done. It's never going to be Lost any more than it's ever going to be Basil Brush. It has to be universally accessible and do the best it can with that.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun May 08, 2011 1:31 pm

Criticised this episode on GB and got called a nob, up myself and a sexless ming-mong. Why is fandom so horrible?
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun May 08, 2011 3:49 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Criticised this episode on GB and got called a nob, up myself and a sexless ming-mong. Why is fandom so horrible?
Because special interest groups are often very defensive about their obsessions and will overreact to the slightest criticism.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun May 08, 2011 4:43 pm

It's at this point that I feel like screaming "IT'S ONLY A SHOW!" and never watching the damn thing again.

If I wanted a religion, I'd go to church.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Sun May 08, 2011 5:00 pm

Well said, that girl! (Is that sexist?) Well said, that person! And Tony - I did get it...it just wasn't any good. If the show is trying to be for both kids and (ahem) grown ups, then it's failing even more.
GBF
GBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun May 08, 2011 6:03 pm

GBF wrote:Well said, that girl! (Is that sexist?)
No Smile
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by felneymike Sun May 08, 2011 9:16 pm

I thought the acting of the "marked men" was great compared to that of the pirate captain. He was delivering generic "piratey" lines with all the conviction of a Lib Dem swing voter and was able to pilot a starship by the end after stepping straight out of the 18th century.
Not to mention how was Rory "drowning" when he was no longer underwater? If the spaceship "occupied the same space" how was he in it when he'd been left behind (and how was it in the ship when that had sailed away?). Why was the nurse singing? I thought she didn't know how to heal the human pirate crew but then they're suddenly fine? Wouldn't a smashed mirror just result in loads of tiny and sharp reflective pieces rather than one big one?
This episode was a scurvy bilge-rat that deserved to walk the plank! And next week's doesn't look too good either... is that the Doctor's mum??

felneymike

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 Mon May 09, 2011 2:10 am

The standard of writing on this show is unbelievably poor.

I wouldn't worry about GB, Lucy. It's chockablock with complete tits. Those people still think Twin Dilemma is the worst Who story ever. Yeah, aside from the couple of dozen New Poos that are worse in every capacity!
codywillis1
codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon May 09, 2011 8:25 am

codywillis1 wrote:The standard of writing on this show is unbelievably poor.

I honestly don't understand how you can say that Cody, particularly after that opening two parter. To me, that was brilliant writing, really brilliant TV. I just don't get what it is that you feel is letting it down. Can you at least elaborate a bit? What's wrong with the writing, in your view?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Mon May 09, 2011 10:12 am

Just watched the whole thing on iplayer whilst working - sort of. What did I miss? The pirates in a space ship, all friends...how did they get on that?
GBF
GBF

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 Mon May 09, 2011 10:13 am

The pirates: Where was the story? Other than the collection of scenes ripped off from other episodes? It was almost like a cut and paste job.

The 2 parter had some pretty shocking howlers too, esp for Moffat - namely the whole opening to part 2, WTF was that about? What was the point? A set of pointless scenes to 'resolve' a plot we hadn't seen start in part 1 and was never mentioned again after. It didn't belong in the story at all. It was almost like that whole sequence had been written solely to look good in the trailer. Hmmm...
codywillis1
codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon May 09, 2011 10:15 am

GBF wrote:Just watched the whole thing on iplayer whilst working - sort of. What did I miss? The pirates in a space ship, all friends...how did they get on that?
How do you mean? The pirates were taken to the ship by the Siren, but unlike Toby or Rory, none of them were actually ill so I guess the Captain just woke them up and said 'this is the new ship lads, whatcha think?'
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon May 09, 2011 10:20 am

codywillis1 wrote:The pirates: Where was the story? Other than the collection of scenes ripped off from other episodes? It was almost like a cut and paste job.
This one was definitely a filler episode, and I gather was originally intended to come later in the series, but I didn't think it was that bad. Not memorable, but not bad.

The 2 parter had some pretty shocking howlers too, esp for Moffat - namely the whole opening to part 2, WTF was that about? What was the point? A set of pointless scenes to 'resolve' a plot we hadn't seen start in part 1 and was never mentioned again after. It didn't belong in the story at all. It was almost like that whole sequence had been written solely to look good in the trailer. Hmmm...
I liked the opening of part two-it was intende, I think, to show that time had passed and they'd gone underground investigating the Silents. They wouldn't have been able to tell the authorities what they were doing without alerting the Silents, and they needed the impenetrable prison to be able to speak freely, so they had to become fugitives in order to get them to build it. I thought it worked quite well, had a bit of an X-Files feel to it which I really liked.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Mon May 09, 2011 1:49 pm

I'm being really thick here: I know they were all in hospital and the Siren was a goody (who just gave up her power because Pond asked her to...yeah). But - am I supposed to believe that 17th century people (or were they form the future?) would just accept that they were able to (and were) flying through space, without even saying, or shouting, "Blaggaaards! What witch craaaft be this, arrr!" or something like that. People today have difficulty actually believing we went to the moon - but accept space flight! How bad can one's series be when the third part is a filler?
Confused of Manchester.
GBF
GBF

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon May 09, 2011 1:55 pm

The Siren didn't 'give up' her power. She simply allowed Amy to remove Rory from her care after Amy signed the 'consent form'. Before that, she wouldn't let anyone near him as he was her patient, but Amy was able to convince her that she was Rory's next of kin.

No, the pirates weren't from the future, but Captain Avery was obviously a pretty forward thinking guy who was basically able to adapt his thinking to what he was being shown-as he said, a ship is a ship. The others might well have had trouble adjusting, but since we didn't see the point at which Avery revived them, only looked in on them later, there's no reason not to assume that was dealt with between scenes. There's only so much you can show in 45 minutes.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Mon May 09, 2011 2:22 pm

Do you work for the BBC, Tony?
The siren didn't t take much convincing did she??!! I hope she's never my doctor!! I'm sorry, but I thought the whole idea of telling a story was the TELL IT. When somone has bought your book, you can't suddenly say "Oh, I only had 300 pages so I missed the part where I explained to these guys that 'a ship is a ship' so, of you go, next stop Proxima Centauri instead of Portsmouth! But don't worry - the captain is a 'pretty forward thinking guy!" so it'll be alright. This is ABSOLUTY bollocks, Tony, and I'm really surprised at you. You've turned in to a typical football supporter - they only see what they want to see, and, because it's your beloved Doctor, you only want to see good. Well, it's crap!!! jocolor
GBF
GBF

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon May 09, 2011 2:45 pm

Glenn, if every story was still the length of one of the old four parters (around 90 minutes excluding credits and recaps) then you'd have time to explain every aspect of the plot-and I personally think that 90 minutes is the perfect time for a Who story, which is why the two parters often work better than the single episodes. But for whatever reason, the modern audience is now conditioned to single episodes running 45-60 minutes and the BBC are going along with that, and you just don't have time to explain every detail in that time. You have to take narrative shortcuts and rely on the audience being smart enough to fill in the gaps for themselves based on what's on screen.

Unfortunately, it is an unavoidable fact that some percentage of your viewing audience won't get bits of it, either because they weren't paying 100% attention to what was on screen, because they were distracted for a second and missed some dialogue, or just because they're sadly from Manchester Cool. What can you do?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Mon May 09, 2011 3:19 pm

You'll be sorry you said that when I don't re-new the Crikey website and all this blathering disappears along with those pirates on that ship. By your own ultra informed, paying full attention, misty eyed, wannabe, smart arsed, know all reply, you said that bit wasn't in - and that was an important bit! It's almost as stupid as Adam Adamant being asleep from Victorian times and then driving a mini coupé by the end of the first episode!! What a Face
GBF
GBF

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon May 09, 2011 3:26 pm

What do you think the viewing figures would have been for Adam Adamant Season 1 Episode 2:'Adam Takes an Advanced Driving Course'?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Mon May 09, 2011 3:41 pm

He just didn't need to drive the car - someone else could do that! It's like saying "Well, Neil, we're sending you to the moon - and Glenn's driving!!"
And it's 'SERIES' not 'SEASON' - that's a yank thing... The Curse of the Black Spot 403549
GBF
GBF

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon May 09, 2011 4:04 pm

GBF wrote:He just didn't need to drive the car - someone else could do that! It's like saying "Well, Neil, we're sending you to the moon - and Glenn's driving!!"
And it's 'SERIES' not 'SEASON' - that's a yank thing... The Curse of the Black Spot 403549
Doctor Who always used 'season' before the new series started-it's how the new and classic versions are differentiated now (season 1 was in 1963, series 1 was in 2005) so I'm used to using that form, but in the case of Adam Adamant you're probably right. It does make sense though; the series is the series overall, the season is that years block of episodes of the series.

Adam probably wouldn't have looked like much of an all round hero type if he couldn't drive when he was based in sixties London. He'd have had to have learned eventually, and we'd still have missed seeing it. It's just narrative shorthand. How many times did Star trek rely on scotty doing something terribly clever with his Dilithium crystals to get the engines going again? But I don't think we ever saw the bloke pick up a spanner-it was all going on off screen. Because we don't need to see Scotty fiddling with his nuts to know something's happened.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Mon May 09, 2011 4:14 pm

I was around when the Doctor first appeared and I don't recall anything being called a SEASON before the yanks took over. But I may be wrong - after all, I don't pay much attention! Anyway, it's still stupid to have the guy driving a car when 40 minutes previously he didn't know what a car was!
I'm sure Scotty always told Kirk it would take him longer to fix something than it actually did so that Kirky thought he was a genius when he was ACTUALLY fiddling with his nuts: I suspect actually NOTHING was ever wrong and NOTHING needed fixing!! Razz
GBF
GBF

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon May 09, 2011 4:48 pm

Scotty more or less admitted that in the episode of Next Generation where he came back. Engineer Geordi apologized for not having time to talk as he'd told the Captain he'd have a job done by morning and it would take six hours; Scotty asked how long it would really take...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Mon May 09, 2011 4:52 pm

Not unlike the scene on the Nostromo when Yaphet Kotto tells Sigourney the work will take 24 hours when really it will only take 12 (or something like that).
Anyway - watch the preview ad of my new book 'the Dark Side of the Moon' here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KkeahNC6qI

Then buy it! It's only £2.99!! Tell all your mates to buy lots! And their mates too!
GBF
GBF

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon May 09, 2011 6:07 pm

Where do we order it from, then?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Mon May 09, 2011 6:13 pm

The website is at the end of the clip...
GBF
GBF

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Mon May 09, 2011 6:16 pm

GBF
GBF

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon May 09, 2011 6:17 pm

GBF wrote:The website is at the end of the clip...
Yes, I know-but it's still a good idea to put it here in the thread! Marketing, man! Sheesh...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon May 09, 2011 6:18 pm

Yep-like that! www.inspired-words.co.uk

Everybody got that? Very Happy
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Tue May 10, 2011 11:28 am

You're only jealous! Laughing
GBF
GBF

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Tue May 10, 2011 2:48 pm

Why would a Medical Orderly/Programme/Bieng (albeit an Alien one I grant you) be prepared to use voilence and possibly worse? Illogical to me i',m afraid.

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue May 10, 2011 4:00 pm

alanultron5 wrote:Why would a Medical Orderly/Programme/Bieng (albeit an Alien one I grant you) be prepared to use voilence and possibly worse? Illogical to me i',m afraid.
Did she actually do anything violent? All she seems to have done is transport the 'patients' to her ship...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Wed May 11, 2011 12:06 pm

Yes! She blasted Amy halfway across the deck! Hardly the actions of a `medical orderly` in my opinion. Then the was the `red` phase! That hardly seems like medical treatment to me! Mind you she was made by Aliens-so you can put it down to that I suppose!

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Wed May 11, 2011 1:18 pm

I'll be disappointed if Rory doesn't die in this week's episode.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by THEDRUNKENMASTERTWO Thu May 12, 2011 6:49 am

i liked it, not as good as the first 2 though. and a brilliant next time trailer.
THEDRUNKENMASTERTWO
THEDRUNKENMASTERTWO

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu May 12, 2011 8:50 am

The next one looks amazing-but then, it is by Neil Gaiman!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Thu May 12, 2011 9:22 am

This one must have half a chance of being some good, then, if Neil has written it. It just shows you though - get your foot in the door and you're away...
GBF
GBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu May 12, 2011 9:24 am

Yes, we can trust Neil Gaiman to deliver something pretty damn good.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by THEDRUNKENMASTERTWO Thu May 12, 2011 7:31 pm

cant wait to Saturday for Neils episode. bound to be very good.
THEDRUNKENMASTERTWO
THEDRUNKENMASTERTWO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down