Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any fans of current superhero comic stories set during World War II?

+3
Mbast1
Sam_Vimes
MajorHoy
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Any fans of current superhero comic stories set during World War II? Empty Any fans of current superhero comic stories set during World War II?

Post by MajorHoy Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:46 pm

Just to clarify: I'm not talking about modern reprints of stories from the Golden Age of comic books.

I'm wondering who else may enjoy new material with heroes like Captain America or the Justice Society of America that are set during World War II?

When I was growing up in the 1960's and 1970's, there were plenty of war comic books in the U.S. that featured stories of guys like Sgt. Rock & Easy Company, Sgt. Fury & the Howling Commandos, Unknown Soldier, Haunted Tank, the Losers, etc. during World War II. But there was also the comic book The Invaders from Marvel that featured Golden Age heroes Captain America & Bucky, Sub-Mariner, and Human Torch & Toro fighting the good fight in World War II Europe. (They were also later joined by a couple of heroes from the U.K. that were later-day creations: Union Jack and Spitfire.)

Unfortunately, the two major American comic book companies don't really seem to think that's a market worth reviving, though. Marvel sometimes has a story or two that takes place then, but not often.

Anyone else enjoy reading modern superhero comic book stories set during that time period?
And do any U.K. books focus on costumed characters fighting against the Axis Powers back then?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Any fans of current superhero comic stories set during World War II? Empty Re: Any fans of current superhero comic stories set during World War II?

Post by Sam_Vimes Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:20 pm

Why yes, I love comic, movies, books. . .anything about World War II, really. The JSA and Cap fighting Nazis are particularly to my liking, though the brief flashes Project: Superpowers has had back to that era were pretty good, too. I don't know what it is about that war, it just never ceases to thrill or inspire. Some very bad things happened, but some very good men fought bravely to put a stop to it. I wish all wars could be as righteous as that.

Fortunately, there are still some comics set in this time period. The Shadow and Green Hornet: Year One come to mind, but I'm not sure if the latter still exists. At any rate, The Shadow is awesome. Fighting Nazis is never a gray area.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Any fans of current superhero comic stories set during World War II? Empty Re: Any fans of current superhero comic stories set during World War II?

Post by Mbast1 Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:30 pm

Sam_Vimes wrote:I don't know what it is about that war, it just never ceases to thrill or inspire.

And

Sam_Vimes wrote:Fighting Nazis is never a gray area.

I think you answered your own question. That sort of obvious dichotomy is rare in real life.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:45 am

This is why Invaders and All-Star Squadron were two of my favourite books.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:48 pm

Now, if only All-New Invaders can hang in there a while, but I don't even know if it will last a full year or not.

(It may not be set during WWII, but it does give us glimpses back to that time period every now and then.)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by karatattoo Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:02 am

MajorHoy wrote:Now, if only All-New Invaders can hang in there a while, but I don't even know if it will last a full year or not.

I hope it does. I'm enjoying it.

MajorHoy wrote:(It may not be set during WWII, but it does give us glimpses back to that time period every now and then.)

Yes, and I'd like to see more of that. I wouldn't mind seeing a new Invaders mini set in World War II.
karatattoo
karatattoo

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:50 am

karatattoo wrote: . . . I wouldn't mind seeing a new Invaders mini set in World War II.
Lord knows I'd love that, too, but I doubt it will happen . . . only older, more mature readers like us seem to be interested in that. (Heck, they never finished the All-Winners Squad: Band of Heroes limited series, cancelling it with a couple of issues to go.  Crying or Very sad  )
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:45 am

MajorHoy wrote:
karatattoo wrote: . . . I wouldn't mind seeing a new Invaders mini set in World War II.
Lord knows I'd love that, too, but I doubt it will happen . . . only older, more mature readers like us seem to be interested in that. (Heck, they never finished the All-Winners Squad: Band of Heroes limited series, cancelling it with a couple of issues to go.  Crying or Very sad  )
That really annoyed me. If it was an ongoing, I could have understood it as a commercial decision, but a limited series? Surely a little goodwill to the readers would have been worth the effort of getting it finished?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:52 pm

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
That really annoyed me. If it was an ongoing, I could have understood it as a commercial decision, but a limited series? Surely a little goodwill to the readers would have been worth the effort of getting it finished?
Or at least include the unpublished issues in a limited-run tpb collection . . . or even have them available in black-and-white digitally (which I'm not aware of them doing) . . .
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:03 pm

I'd be unlikely to consider that last option much consolation, as I've never bought a digital comic in my life and don't intend to.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by karatattoo Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:47 pm

I've never bought a digital comic either. I think if I did I'd feel dirty.
karatattoo
karatattoo

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:09 am

tony ingram wrote:I'd be unlikely to consider that last option much consolation, as I've never bought a digital comic in my life and don't intend to.
karatattoo wrote:I've never bought a digital comic either. I think if I did I'd feel dirty.
I don't buy digital comics, either, but at least it would be an option for some people.

And speaking of not buying digital, at least those digital-only issues of Daredevil will finally be coming to print, so now I can consider buying that series once again. That would increase my monthly Marvel comic book purchases by 100%!
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Spektre Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:41 am

As much as I love the Justice Society, and want their origins to remain in that time period, and honestly have no problem of whatever de-aging quirk needs to happen to keep them around, or to actually see them have one last heroes send off; I'm not interested in reading more stories set in that era.
Spektre
Spektre

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:33 am

Spektre wrote:As much as I love the Justice Society, and want their origins to remain in that time period, and honestly have no problem of whatever de-aging quirk needs to happen to keep them around, or to actually see them have one last heroes send off; I'm not interested in reading more stories set in that era.
Do you mean you're not interested in a series set in World War II, or that you don't want any more WWII flashbacks at all? I think it would be difficult to avoid returning to the war in any series about characters who originated in that period.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:49 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Spektre wrote:As much as I love the Justice Society, and want their origins to remain in that time period, and honestly have no problem of whatever de-aging quirk needs to happen to keep them around, or to actually see them have one last heroes send off; I'm not interested in reading more stories set in that era.
Do you mean you're not interested in a series set in World War II, or that you don't want any more WWII flashbacks at all? I think it would be difficult to avoid  returning to the war in any series about characters who originated in that period.
Me, I enjoy stories set back in the 20th century (preferably 1920s - 1970s/early 1980s) as long as they're well-written.
The 21st century often feels like it's less exciting and filled with too many clueless morons.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:32 pm

That's because it is. If I'd been the guy in Life on Mars, I wouldn't have wanted to go home.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:13 pm

Rubbish Razz Back then we didn't have (a) the internet, (b) mobile phones and (c) me.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:26 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Rubbish Razz Back then we didn't have (a) the internet, (b) mobile phones and (c) me.
And how many of those are "essential"? (at least of the first two . . . )

Internet is handy / convenient, but isn't essential to those us who remember using the library, the telephone, and the postal service. As for mobile phones, they were first unveiled in the 1970s and started to be available in the early 1980s.

Any fans of current superhero comic stories set during World War II? T1larg.martin.cooper

I personally don't own an iPhone / smartphone . . . I only started carrying a cellphone late last year that isn't even mine, and I only have it in case I need it. (I don't even know the phone number; I don't know if it can actually make use of the internet; and it doesn't get reception in most of my house.)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:51 pm

I have a basic mobile phone which can make calls and send texts (which I rarely do) but nothing else. I frequently forget to take it out with me or charge it, and I can't get decent reception anywhere at home except in the bathroom.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:54 pm

tony ingram wrote:I have a basic mobile phone which can make calls and send texts (which I rarely do) but nothing else. I frequently forget to take it out with me or charge it, and I can't get decent reception anywhere at home except in the bathroom.  
I don't know if mine can text . . . I don't think it has a full qwerty keypad.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:55 pm

Then why do you have it?

I'm definitely not essential Very Happy
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:56 pm

tony ingram wrote:I have a basic mobile phone which can make calls and send texts (which I rarely do) but nothing else. I frequently forget to take it out with me or charge it, and I can't get decent reception anywhere at home except in the bathroom.  
Honestly. You're worse than my mum Razz
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:57 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Then why do you have it?
I'm guessing for the primary purpose of a phone: to make phone calls.

That's debatable.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:58 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Then why do you have it?

Uh, to make phone calls if I have to when I'm not at home? (I don't know about your country, but finding working payphones here in the U.S. is practically impossible . . . or, if you do find one, can be ridiculously expensive.)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:02 pm

Wow. That's so... 20th century.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:50 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Honestly. You're worse than my mum Razz

I have had this same conversation with my father, who is 68, recently. I like living now. Much nicer than the past, IMO.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:21 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:Honestly. You're worse than my mum Razz

I have had this same conversation with my father, who is 68, recently. I like living now. Much nicer than the past, IMO.
Well, unless you're 38 or older, I'm closer age-wise to your father.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:40 am

My dad's 71 and he likes being alive in 2014 too. He spends all day on the internet.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:56 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:My dad's 71 and he likes being alive in 2014 too. He spends all day on the internet.
Well, the internet is convenient, but it isn't as important as food, clean water, oxygen, and shelter. (Or chocolate.)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:15 pm

MajorHoy wrote:Well, unless you're 38 or older, I'm closer age-wise to your father.

I'm 46.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:23 pm

MajorHoy wrote:Well, the internet is convenient, but it isn't as important as food, clean water, oxygen, and shelter. (Or chocolate.)

In 2014, we have them all.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:34 pm

2014 is the best year the human race has ever had (so far).
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:15 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:2014 is the best year the human race has ever had (so far).
It really isn't. The best year by my reckoning was probably 1983.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:53 pm

tony ingram wrote:
If you ignore the fashions and maybe half of the music.

I remember 1983 . . . I graduated from college and my parents moved away a couple of months later.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:16 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
If you ignore the fashions and maybe half of the music.

I remember 1983 . . . I graduated from college and my parents moved away a couple of months later.
I loved eighties fashions, and eighties music. That was the last decade that had any style!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:38 pm

tony ingram wrote:I loved eighties fashions, and eighties music. That was the last decade that had any style!
Any fans of current superhero comic stories set during World War II? Mchammer
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:45 pm

Yeah, well. I meant early eighties. Before all that rap crap arrived.
Toyah. Adam Ant. Hazel O'Connor. Kate Bush. Marillion. They had style.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:27 pm

I have style too!!!
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:00 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:I have style too!!!
Yes, but there's style and then there's style... Twisted Evil 
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:24 pm

And I have style Razz
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:54 am

tony ingram wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:I have style too!!!
Yes, but there's style and then there's style... Twisted Evil 
I had a stye in my eye once . . . does that sort-of count?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by karatattoo Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:29 am

MajorHoy wrote:
I don't know if mine can text . . . I don't think it has a full qwerty keypad.

I can text on my phone but rarely do, as I'm not a very good typist (usually two fingers on one hand). This is also why most if my message board posts tend to be short.
karatattoo
karatattoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:58 am

You can't type on a phone anyway — just prod one letter at a time.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Spektre Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:27 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Do you mean you're not interested in a series set in World War II, or that you don't want any more WWII flashbacks at all? I think it would be difficult to avoid  returning to the war in any series about characters who originated in that period.

Set in World War II. Flashbacks help form that lovely bit of continuity I've been known to have an opinion or two about.
Spektre
Spektre

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:29 pm

Comics are better at flashbacks than novels because they can use a whole different style of art for the flashback, and maybe even different lettering. This is one of the strengths of the medium, and creators should definitely take full advantage of it.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Comics are better at flashbacks than novels because they can use a whole different style of art for the flashback, and maybe even different lettering. This is one of the strengths of the medium, and creators should definitely take full advantage of it.
But they should use (not abuse) it.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:24 pm

Oh, of course. Indubitably.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:36 pm

But still, Nazis make great villains . . . and it's not politically incorrect to smack them around and whump the stuffing out of them!  Very Happy 

Any fans of current superhero comic stories set during World War II? 3695239-captainamericasuperpunch
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:40 pm

Love how he can lay out two whole groups of Nazis with just two punches.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:14 am

Of course he can. He's Captain America. He doesn't even need his mighty shield.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next