Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hellblazer Un-Cancelled: John Constantine Back in His Own Book!

5 posters

Go down

Hellblazer Un-Cancelled: John Constantine Back in His Own Book! Empty Hellblazer Un-Cancelled: John Constantine Back in His Own Book!

Post by tony ingram Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:56 am

It's been announced that the longest running Vertigo title (and now DC's longest running title of all), Hellblazer, will be ending early next year with issue #300. John Constantine will then be relaunched in a new solo series, 'Constantine', set firmly in the DCnU...which means, of course, that he'll be the de-aged version seen in Justice League Dark, with none of the last 25 years worth of Hellblazer continuity intact. A sad end for one of the few comics characters who actually grew and changed in real time. The news has not been well recieved by many Constantine fans...

Last edited by tony ingram on Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hellblazer Un-Cancelled: John Constantine Back in His Own Book! Empty Re: Hellblazer Un-Cancelled: John Constantine Back in His Own Book!

Post by Sam_Vimes Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:23 am

Didn't DC specifically say they WEREN'T going to do that?

Gosh, I hate them sometimes.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Hellblazer Un-Cancelled: John Constantine Back in His Own Book! Empty Re: Hellblazer Un-Cancelled: John Constantine Back in His Own Book!

Post by tony ingram Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:29 am

Yes, they did say that. But is it really a surprise that they lied, at this stage?
Hellblazer was the last non creator owned title at Vertigo, and many creators will no longer work for Vertigo since the conditions concerning rights were altered in the company's favour some time ago. I suspect Vertigo is on the way out.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:49 pm

tony ingram wrote:I suspect Vertigo is on the way out.

Which is sad because they did some good work. It seems that companies are heading back to the "we must control all" model. Not good for creators, or fans. Unless you're a fan who only likes company produced stuff. (And there are some)
Do you have any more info on the changes at Vertigo? Like, links to articles on their changes, creator reactions, etc. I find this interesting.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:54 am

tony ingram wrote:The news has not been well recieved by many Constantine fans...

The best part, ha ha, is the number of people on Comic Book Resources berating Constantine fans for complaining. Some people are just serious horse's asses.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:20 am

Just more of the company-can-do-no-wrong mentality. Depressing.

When I have a little time this afternoon I shall try and dig out some of the recent negative reactions to the changes at Vertigo. From a creator POV, what it seems to amount to is: if you have a creator owned series at Vertigo, that series ends when you want it to and the company can't take it over-but, unlike at Image or any other independent company, you cannot choose to take the book away and have someone else continue publishing it, and DC automatically have the merxhandising rights and any prospective movie/TV rights to the property. I could be wrong, but that's what seems to be the case. Vertigo isn't really a creator owned line at all, these days.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:18 pm

tony ingram wrote:Just more of the company-can-do-no-wrong mentality. Depressing.

That's part of it, but mainly it's just the "I can abuse people who disagree with me because they're stupid and I'm anonymous" mentality.

tony ingram wrote:you cannot choose to take the book away and have someone else continue publishing it

That is bizarre, if true. How do you actually "own" it then?

I'd appreciate whatever you can find. Thanks!
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:57 am

Well, I've now read the final issue of Hellblazer and...what? I'm a little baffled. John just seems to be left hanging, alone and bewildered. A very odd ending.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:33 pm

I read the first issue of the new one. It's. . .fine, I guess.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:38 pm

Sam_Vimes wrote:I read the first issue of the new one. It's. . .fine, I guess.
I have no interest in picking up the new one, any more than any of the other rebooted characters. I'm now down to just two Vertigo titles: Fables and Fairest.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:18 am

Oh, well, I'm certainly not recommending it, Tony. I just had to see what there was to see, is all, and it's something I never intend TO see again.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:51 am

Sam_Vimes wrote:Oh, well, I'm certainly not recommending it, Tony. I just had to see what there was to see, is all, and it's something I never intend TO see again.
Why does every character have to be young and pretty, these days? Why can't heroes be allowed to age?Constantine was one of the few characters who aged in real time, but now suddenly he's in his twenties again? Pointless.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Probably something to do with the upcoming movie. They don't want the fangirls to see Justice League Dark or whatever and come to the comics to see some gross old man! It'd be the Hugh Jackman/Wolverine fiasco all over again!
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:53 pm

Sam_Vimes wrote:Probably something to do with the upcoming movie. They don't want the fangirls to see Justice League Dark or whatever and come to the comics to see some gross old man! It'd be the Hugh Jackman/Wolverine fiasco all over again!
Depressingly plausible...

I'm going to miss "my" Constantine. I'd followed his journey for thirty years-I have friends in the real world I haven't known half as long!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spektre Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:18 am

tony ingram wrote:It's been announced that the longest running Vertigo title (and now DC's longest running title of all), Hellblazer, will be ending early next year with issue #300. John Constantine will then be relaunched in a new solo series, 'Constantine', set firmly in the DCnU...which means, of course, that he'll be the de-aged version seen in Justice League Dark, with none of the last 25 years worth of Hellblazer continuity intact. A sad end for one of the few comics characters who actually grew and changed in real time. The news has not been well recieved by many Constantine fans...

Just more idiocy. I think unfortunately DC is lost to me.

tony ingram wrote:Just more of the company-can-do-no-wrong mentality. Depressing.

When I have a little time this afternoon I shall try and dig out some of the recent negative reactions to the changes at Vertigo. From a creator POV, what it seems to amount to is: if you have a creator owned series at Vertigo, that series ends when you want it to and the company can't take it over-but, unlike at Image or any other independent company, you cannot choose to take the book away and have someone else continue publishing it, and DC automatically have the merxhandising rights and any prospective movie/TV rights to the property. I could be wrong, but that's what seems to be the case. Vertigo isn't really a creator owned line at all, these days.

Mbast1 wrote:

That's part of it, but mainly it's just the "I can abuse people who disagree with me because they're stupid and I'm anonymous" mentality.

tony ingram wrote:you cannot choose to take the book away and have someone else continue publishing it

That is bizarre, if true. How do you actually "own" it then?

I'd appreciate whatever you can find. Thanks!

Read the latest "fight the regime" posts on Tenz boards....before they are retconned. LOL
Spektre
Spektre

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:45 pm

Resurrecting this topic, with its title changed to reflect the current situation! Very Happy

The Hellblazer title returns for a second relaunch this month after a Special last month, and unlike the last one, this version seems to be closer in execution to the original. It begins with John rejoining society after having spent some time in Ravenscar, apparently having been driven round the bend by the discontinuities in his own life as much as anything else; there are indications that he remembers being both previous iterations of his character, and it looks as though the principal villain in the series is the older, embittered John  we first saw in the Books of Magic series more than thirty years ago! Intriguing. John also guest stars in the latest issue of the current Books of Magic, in which he is surprised to find that Tim Hunter is no longer the older version he last met (though not surprised enough not to try to kill him).

Last edited by tony ingram on Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:40 am

I have seen it solicited but was so disappointed about the treatment suffered before by old John (JL Dark was terrible) and the end of Vertigo that, for the time being, decided to not try it now...of course that could change! Rolling Eyes
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

https://editorialecorno.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:11 am

Barry_Allen wrote:I have seen it solicited but was so disappointed about the  treatment suffered before by old John (JL Dark was terrible) and the end of Vertigo that, for the time being, decided to not try it now...of course that could change! Rolling Eyes
I think the new series might be more to your taste. Maybe you should try the one-shot Special that comes before the first issue?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:50 pm

In fact I was just thinking to (late) order it, Tony! Very Happy Cool
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:53 pm

Barry_Allen wrote:In fact I was just thinking to (late) order it, Tony! Very Happy Cool
To me, it read more like the "real" John than anything they've done since Hellblazer 300.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:17 pm

tony ingram wrote:there are indications that he remembers being both previous iterations of his character, and it looks as though the principal villain in the series is the older, embittered John  we first saw in the Books of Magic series more than thirty years ago! Intriguing.

That does sound good. I may have to break my rule, again, to check this out. Thanks for the heads up!
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:41 am

tony ingram wrote:
Barry_Allen wrote:In fact I was just thinking to (late) order it, Tony! Very Happy Cool
To me, it read more like the "real" John than anything they've done since Hellblazer 300.

That's what I wanted to hear, Tony! Very Happy
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:03 am

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:there are indications that he remembers being both previous iterations of his character, and it looks as though the principal villain in the series is the older, embittered John  we first saw in the Books of Magic series more than thirty years ago! Intriguing.

That does sound good. I may have to break my rule, again, to check this out. Thanks for the heads up!

Rules, in comics buying (I imagine, in this case) and not only, are made to be broken...? Very Happy study Wink
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:48 pm

Barry_Allen wrote:Rules, in comics buying (I imagine, in this case) and not only, are made to be broken...? Very Happy study Wink

Yeah. I seem to do that anyway.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down